PODS, Big Steel Box (sea can) ?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey,
Does anyone here have experience with PODS or Big Steel Box? Any hidden costs?

I do like the idea of them picking up, storing, delivering and picking up empty boxes

My wife would like to go this way, but I'm unsure.......

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My parents used pods for a move 10 years ago. It was great for them as they needed to store their stuff for a few months.

Loaded it slowly on their driveway. Then had it dropped at their new place when they wanted it.

Don’t know about the $$$

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My parents used pods for a move 10 years ago. It was great for them as they needed to store their stuff for a few months.

Loaded it slowly on their driveway. Then had it dropped at their new place when they wanted it.

Don’t know about the $$$
We need to have it stored for a week or so too. I'll call tomorrow and get a price

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They have a promo or did where you get a month free storage with big steel box.

They charge you to bring it out, and then drive back empty, and then come get it, and then loaded back to storage and then back to your new place and back empty.

I looked into it and it was 3g to go from nw calgary to Alberta Beach. And I figured grab it here and then drive up and drop it off. They told me it was a 4-7 day process and that didn't work for us.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That being said, depending on how you need to store it, uhaul is reasonable and I think it's $40 a day to keep the truck longer. Rent the truck for a week or so and you're under $500

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did it last summer as I needed my stuff stored for 2 months. I think it was like $750 for 1 pod for 2 months and all the pickups/drop offs and storage, easy to punch in details online and get a quote. Only real extra is insurance for contents, if the truck gets into accident, their storage place has fire, flood etc, you're SOL without the insurance so it was a good idea to get it. One thing to note about the PODS is they are just built out of wood and the roll up door is made of tin can metal (if that). I would absolutely not trust valuables to be stored it in if it's sitting anywhere that's not secure. Overall I was happy with them.

I did get a quote with big steel box but there is a few cons, being it's a sea can they set it down on blocks and can't place it near as tight as pods can and they don't provide storage during the rental it's up to you to store the can.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That being said, depending on how you need to store it, uhaul is reasonable and I think it's $40 a day to keep the truck longer. Rent the truck for a week or so and you're under $500

If it's really short term that makes sense, but after like 10 days the pods gets cheaper. Also way more hassle renting u-haul compared to a pod being dropped off. Uhauls mileage rates, etc add to the price fairly quick too.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks guys, great info this morning.
I'll call PODS and get a price today. I like the idea of ground loading and not driving. I agree with Cyle about the mileage rates adding up.... We are 160kms to move door to door, will need about 2 weeks storage.
I like that PODS is a vertical lift and not winched up onto a wrecking deck.

The more I sit here and think about it, having 2-16' pods here right now and load at my pace. Have them picked up and stored, is getting more and more appealing.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Uhaul can work. I got 2 26' foot ones for a week for 460. Each with 400 miles and one way drop off.

But yes, the steel box would have been better but it was 5x the cost and no definitive date

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Uhaul can work. I got 2 26' foot ones for a week for 460. Each with 400 miles and one way drop off.

But yes, the steel box would have been better but it was 5x the cost and no definitive date
You do have me thinking and will be pricing it out. Not sure if Fort Macleod has U haul??? Will google.

Now if I could just rent a 40' enclosed goose neck for a month or 2, I'd be done lol

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
You do have me thinking and will be pricing it out. Not sure if Fort Macleod has U haul??? Will google.

Now if I could just rent a 40' enclosed goose neck for a month or 2, I'd be done lol
why not look into a 52 foot Van?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
why not look into a 52 foot Van?
I Just priced out a 32' enclosed at $1400/week and that's going to be way too much.

Or are you referring to to a moving company?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I Just priced out a 32' enclosed at $1400/week and that's going to be way too much.

there used to be people that rented out 52 foot semi trailers, for decent prices, for just your situation........ Not sure if they still exist.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
there used to be people that rented out 52 foot semi trailers, for decent prices, for just your situation........ Not sure if they still exist.
The Chevy could pull it, but I don't have air brake supply lines.
I'll look into this a little further and se what I can find?
My wife said she wants to use a moving company, I think that that will be pricey?

We also just discussed that we would need warm storage for about 2 weeks for some of the stuff

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
PODS does not service Fort Macleod

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Big steel box comes in at 4200 for 2-20’ sea cans delivered to the Lethbridge and stored in town until needed at Fort McLeod.
North American Van lines comes in at 6000 including storage and delivery. Have to pay for 2 move outs when storing with them.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rent two uhauls and find underground storage somewhere to hide them haha. A sticker on the inside of their trucks says to ask about a month free storage.

You can look at a lot of options for 6g. That's what we were at to move 3 hours. Eff that. 2 days of sweat and I have an extra 5g in my pocket

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's insanely expensive, has to be cheaper options. I just looked at trailers unlimited in Edmonton 30' is $800/week.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used Big Steel Box for a move/store/move situation. Worked very well and would do it again for sure. Another handy solution is Frogbox, they rent you heavy duty plastic moving boxes that stack very high and are stable. I used those for the move and the combination of the two made for an easy and trouble free move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom