Another attack on sledders

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Found this on the Cranbrook Snowmobile Club Facebook page,we all have to do more to improve our image.
I don't know how to make it any bigger so hope you can enlarge it to read.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Arff started a clean up thread for us this year on the mud site, maybe the time has come for the sled folks too.

We cleaned and cleared trails, worked at parking lots and bush camp sights too.

Take pictures and post up a "what you and your group did too resolve the issues with a right up."

The thread will benefit all of you as it shares in information on how you folks can improve the quality of the sport.

Just an idea as we are all in this together.

It's up to one of the better known sled bros to fire up a clean up sled stuff thread.

Just an idea all.

Pal Don

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like I have said in the past. We are our own worse enemies. We really don't deserve to be in the backcountry with this type of behaviour? You can't fix stupid so don't expect it to get any better until they start pulling riding areas away from
us.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No people quadding in there in summer??

sent while drinking tea's

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hot rod the groomer can you give us a estimated number of trail passes sold at renshaw last season?
Regardless this is still unexcept able.... Who loses/forgets their $100 mountain addiction can?
we get it blown belts are nasty and make a mess in any bag to pack out, zippers break, compartments open and stuff falls out.
if your willing to pack beer and booze up the hill, pack the cans out. It's a concept that's preached in every sport many of us partake in (sleds, quads, jet boats eft.)
as for the trail passes sold I'm just looking for a rough number as then you can divide that by 100 beer cans just to see how big of batch one bad apple can wreck.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I live in Creston, where we have a ridiculous amount of closures slammed down our throat. There are some extremely Anti Motorized recreation. My son told me of a story about a High School Teacher who started spewing anti snowmobile stuff in relationship to Caribou in one of his classes. My son is very much in the loop of all that is going on and knows the truth about "caribou recovery". He was disgusted. This same teacher apparently told one of my sled sons, "I can hit one student in my career and it probably will be you". He's an example of those too blind to see the bigger picture.
He took a run at me on our local conversation page. I invited him to look at the federal caribou recovery plan which includes restricting non motorized access. This would greatly impact his ability to ski and snowshoe up our pass. Apparently this high school teacher can't read???
Those who oppose us will literally stop at nothing to try to tarnish our image. Didn't work for him as the community backed what I was saying about caribou recovery rather than his false accusations. I had "science" behind me. Tell me again how wolves need snowmobile tracks to follow in spring crust snow to kill caribou calves.. I'll link you to the scientific study throwing that theory out of the water. You don't like snowmobiling... ok.. fair.. I absolutely dislike skiing.. I hit more trees on planks than on my sled.. so I'll just stick to my sled thank you, but I won't try to stop you from skiing.
Being vocal and active in your communities is an absolute must. WE as a club help maintain trails for many user groups, including non motorized recreationalists. WE as a club volunteer with search and rescue. WE as a club help with Back country and avalanche outreach for all user groups.
He was quiet after the community jumped in to support what I was saying. We have a long way to go to shift the mentality of haters, but we have to make efforts to turn around the dirty scum sucker stereo types that many still feel we are based upon media propaganda and stupid people going out and doing incredibly stupid things.
This looks to me like a weak attempt to tarnish our user group. The only way to shift it is by being seen as responsible back country users who not only care about the environment, but use the back country responsibly and respectfully. Get some media attention to showcase the good you are doing!

mur190

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No people quadding in there in summer??

sent while drinking tea's

I know the trail can be quaded to the lookout point I believe, the trail is also frequented by horse back and hunters as well. But since sled dears are the bulk of the population that use it the finger will be pointed at us. one of those f#*kin way she goes things.

Dragon4x4

Reaction score
Ya it's pretty sad to read sh*t like that... I guess the whole pack out what you pack in thing is pretty hard to comprehend. Most (most I said not all) of the guys making a pile of money in the patch they are your typical pigs. Flying up to the cabins on boosted 174s no regard for anyone but them self, leaving sh*t everywhere, acting like they own the place ... it's too bad the rest of us all have to get our knees cut because of "that guy". It would be nice to have booth attendants remind people when they buy their passes to clean their sh*t up. Rant over

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wonder if they wanna sell that MTN Addiction can lol, ill start the bidding at $40, In all seriousness though that really isn't that much garbage for the amount of people that frequent the Renshaws. I used to hike up in around Sunshine Village in the summer and the amount of trash we used to find is astonishing. Like already said, everywhere you go there is litter, dont matter if your fishing, hunting, sledding, skiing, quading, hiking etc. you find litter everywhere, it takes all kinds. I hiked the sulphur skyline by Jasper this past summer and picked up 5 granola bar wrappers and 8 juice/ pop/ water containers, and thats in a National park trail that is monitored and maintained everyday

Last edited:

Drifter1

Reaction score
I was one of the last people in there last April before they closed the road in, picked up garbage on the trail out including multiple beer cans. Certainly wasn't the worst I've seen. We picked up $10 worth of beer cans, and a few bags of garbage in the Torpy parking area east of Prince George, that was a disgrace.

There will always be the entitled person that feels they can do whatever they want, they don't see themselves as "we" in terms of snowmobile user group. IT also comes with the territory of people being in the bush, stuff gets lost. It should be up to us all to hold people accountable to cleaning up after themselves, not just a parking attendant or a hiker who finds the garbage 6 months later. Call people on ditching their beer can, help each other secure used belts and parts etc so they don't fall off. Pick up any cans/garbage you see on your way...............Change the culture of our sport so these areas are open for years to come.

The backcountry is like everything we "use", leave is cleaner than you found it, or as close as possible.

Last edited:

luvz da mud

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With any group motorized or not, it only takes a few to spoil it for the bunch. As usual it's up to the responsible ones to pick up after the pigs. Nothing makes me madder than seeing empty bottles and cans cause some selfish A-hole can't pick up after himself

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Arff started a clean up thread for us this year on the mud site, maybe the time has come for the sled folks too.

We cleaned and cleared trails, worked at parking lots and bush camp sights too.

Take pictures and post up a "what you and your group did too resolve the issues with a right up."

The thread will benefit all of you as it shares in information on how you folks can improve the quality of the sport.

Just an idea as we are all in this together.

It's up to one of the better known sled bros to fire up a clean up sled stuff thread.

Just an idea all.

Pal Don

Lem Lamb your right the clean up thread this summer helped people get on board helping clean up Tj tails and camp spots.

Trash left behind causes places to get closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know if I see someone tossing a can out or any other garbage even if they aren't apart of my group I call them out on it. Now I will be honest I have lost the odd thing out of my rear linq bag by others forgetting to close it after borrowing something. I wouldnt notice till 10km down the road. I never and wont retrace my steps to find a screwdriver that flew out. But as for the cans and what not there is no excuse.

Radar78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just don't get it. Why do people need to be such pigs? Like was mentioned earlier I guess it's entitlement. And how they were raised. I just don't get why people think it's ok to throw garbage anywhere they please. The other question this raises is, why all the alcohol? I hope I don't offend anybody on here by saying this but with all the dangers involved in backcountry sledding, is there a place for it? Full disclosure here is that I'm a drinker. I drink a lot. Probably too much. The reason I say this is to clarify that I'm not some goody two shoes angel. I'd be lying if I said we didn't pack a few beers along when sledding on the flats at home here but it's kept at a minimum. But when I'm sledding in the mountains, there is none and that's the way I like it. Like I said there is just too many dangers and unknowns to be even slightly impaired. As a fairly heavy drinker, I feel I have a high tolerance for alcohol but even say 2 beer affects the way I think. For example if we stopped and I crushed 2 quick beers and then 20 minutes later I was put in a situation where I had to find and dig out my buddy in an avalanche situation, I truly feel those two beers would negatively affect my efficiency. Just my two cents and kind of off topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mach1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well guys and gals, this so true and there are some people out there that don't care about the environment or our sledding. The guys that are doing this have been seen by there group and obviously nothing is said, I just hope and wish this crap stops or at least settles down. I think this is a great topic, but the ones that leave a mess are not most likely reading this or care, thx

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a problem that probably will never get solved. If people are angry about the litter It's pretty understandable. regardless of weather it's beer cans or thrown on the ground on purpose or broken sled parts or stuff that was lost by accident. None of it would be there if sledders weren't allowed in. If stuff we lose doesn't get picked up immediately it probably isn't getting picked up by another sledder. It's going to get picked up by someone who hates the sport. So I guess my point is this. We should ban hikers, horseback riders, and nerds from using the backcountry in the summertime, that we as sledders are entitled to. If no one sees the mess.... is it really a mess? Whos with me! *ducks*

Top Bottom