An Idea?????

Maclintock

Reaction score
Well we have all probably heard that another Avy killed some skiers near Valemount yesterday. Condolances for sure.

It has been a very tough 2 weeks for sure.

On this site and others everyone is pointing at this and that, and stating do this or that and the Gov't is saying this and that.

I have heard some great ideas for sure over the past 2 weeks on how to make it as safe as we can out their in the backcountry.

So here is a little idea.

All of the clubs in BC should band together and Alta ( Because it is a lot of Albertans that use the BC areas) and have a big meeting. Each send a representative and have a think tank of ways to improve safety. maybe invite some experts from National Parks, The Canadian Avalanche Ass, The Government of BC, The Heli Ops in BC etc.

This would at least show a combined effort that the snowmobile community is serious about the education of it's members and that we are willing to try and get things together and look at ways to make safety our #1 priority.

I have no idea who would organize this, ( Maybe start at each club level)
and maybe you break it down to smaller groups at first ( IE: The Revy/Golden/Sicamouse/ Calgary Group), ( The
Crwsnest/Fernie/Cranbook/Calgary group) etc.

It would definately be a start?????????

Any other ideas as with this forum and others we do have a tool to get news and ideas out;)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Well we have all probably heard that another Avy killed some skiers near Valemount yesterday. Condolances for sure.

It has been a very tough 2 weeks for sure.

On this site and others everyone is pointing at this and that, and stating do this or that and the Gov't is saying this and that.

I have heard some great ideas for sure over the past 2 weeks on how to make it as safe as we can out their in the backcountry.

So here is a little idea.

All of the clubs in BC should band together and Alta ( Because it is a lot of Albertans that use the BC areas) and have a big meeting. Each send a representative and have a think tank of ways to improve safety. maybe invite some experts from National Parks, The Canadian Avalanche Ass, The Government of BC, The Heli Ops in BC etc.

This would at least show a combined effort that the snowmobile community is serious about the education of it's members and that we are willing to try and get things together and look at ways to make safety our #1 priority.

I have no idea who would organize this, ( Maybe start at each club level)
and maybe you break it down to smaller groups at first ( IE: The Revy/Golden/Sicamouse/ Calgary Group), ( The
Crwsnest/Fernie/Cranbook/Calgary group) etc.

It would definately be a start?????????

Any other ideas as with this forum and others we do have a tool to get news and ideas out;)

Good idea McLintock. There was another one awhile back regarding a fund for land access that I don't think got off the ground. We need to follow through with this! I'll be the first to help out and pick a date....the first weekend after Easter, Sat. April 10, 2010 and in Calgary, as it is pretty central to the action; easy access from the Pass, SE BC, Revy/Golden and it would be front and foremost with a lot of Alberta riders and the Alberta press.

That provides us with 3 weeks, which may not be enough time for CAC/Parks/Govt personnel to be able to fit it into their itineraries but it is important enough that it may work.

I would also suggest that someone from the Calgary Snowmobile Club step up and find a venue. Must be some connections here to get a conference room or something booked. Any more volunteers?

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good idea McLintock. There was another one awhile back regarding a fund for land access that I don't think got off the ground. We need to follow through with this! I'll be the first to help out and pick a date....the first weekend after Easter, Sat. April 10, 2010 and in Calgary, as it is pretty central to the action; easy access from the Pass, SE BC, Revy/Golden and it would be front and foremost with a lot of Alberta riders and the Alberta press.

That provides us with 3 weeks, which may not be enough time for CAC/Parks/Govt personnel to be able to fit it into their itineraries but it is important enough that it may work.

I would also suggest that someone from the Calgary Snowmobile Club step up and find a venue. Must be some connections here to get a conference room or something booked. Any more volunteers?

we can look at one of the hotels in town if one of there conference rooms would be avail

and im in

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So.....the deaths are occurring in BC....the CAC is in BC....the government agencies you want to be there are in BC....the clubs that are having to deal with the bulk of the fallout are in BC....but we're going to hold a meeting in Calgary?

WTF??? :confused:

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a good idea, but most clubs/associations are still operating in April and some into may.

Revelstoke or Valemount (i could most likey get a donated space and discounted rooms for participants) would both be great location to hold something like this, but I dont think it should be rushed just to do it. A meeting in June would not be a bad idea in my opinion. Most emotions would have calmed down, hopefully less speculation, and folks would have time to think and prepare. I dont think it would be that difficult to organize

Im speaking for myself on this not my association

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So.....the deaths are occurring in BC....the CAC is in BC....the government agencies you want to be there are in BC....the clubs that are having to deal with the bulk of the fallout are in BC....but we're going to hold a meeting in Calgary?

WTF??? :confused:

long ways away from having it anywhere
he threw the idea out there and suggested calgary ... any thoughts on where it should be ....

i would think revelstoke would be an ok location

Maclintock

Reaction score
Maybe the mods can put this one up where it is more visible, so we can get more ideas and people involved with this. Maybe I should have titled it " lets get All clubs together for ideas on better Safety Etc.;)"

ratatatat

Reaction score
This type of meeting has happened at least twice before. Once a number of years ago as an effort by the caa to get buy in for their level 1 professional avalanche safety training for sled guides. They cannot sell this course. It appears the sled guiding industry does not see the value in professional level training.
Then again last season as a result of the Fernie accident a similar meeting was held during the caa spring meeting. Again the caa trying to bridge the culture gap into the sledding community.
Some success each time so I guess it makes sense to keep kicking away at it. I believe a significant shift in risk perception by the sledding community is required to reduce accidents. Without this the ast training will not be very effective and regulations and restrictions will be imposed.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The ASA general meeting is on 17 April, maybe discussion of this proposed meeting should be added to the agenda.
April 17, 2010

ASA Annual General Meeting
Nova Hotel - Edmonton
Join the ASA and its family of member clubs as we join together for our Annual General Meeting. April 17, 2010 starting at 9:00am. Lunch will be served. Held this year at the Chateau Nova Hotel & Suites in Edmonton.

www.chateaunovahoteledmonton.ca
159 Airport Road
Edmonton, AB T5G 0W6
(780) 424-6682

Last edited:

sledhead2010

Reaction score
This type of meeting has happened at least twice before. Once a number of years ago as an effort by the caa to get buy in for their level 1 professional avalanche safety training for sled guides. They cannot sell this course. It appears the sled guiding industry does not see the value in professional level training.
Then again last season as a result of the Fernie accident a similar meeting was held during the caa spring meeting. Again the caa trying to bridge the culture gap into the sledding community.
Some success each time so I guess it makes sense to keep kicking away at it. I believe a significant shift in risk perception by the sledding community is required to reduce accidents. Without this the ast training will not be very effective and regulations and restrictions will be imposed.

I'm guessing that this is where the following comment came from? (Fernie Meeting)
"The Panel was informed that the CAC experienced challenges in its attempts to engage the snowmobiling community in a constructive dialogue aimed at developing co‐ordinated strategies to prevent avalanche incidents and securing greater involvement of snowmobile stakeholders in prevention programs."

As for the Alberta connection that was mentioned in one of the posts above...
"Chair’s comment: A significant percentage of snowmobilers who lost their lives in avalanches in B.C. during the winter of 2008‐2009 were visitors from Alberta. Any measures designed to ensure avalanche safety of the snowmobiling community must be directed to snowmobilers in both provinces. Distribution of avalanche safety materials at the point of registration of snowmobiles would be an effective means for ensuring the widest possible dissemination."

I posted a link to the entire document that I have pulled these quotes from in the avy section. Every one should take a few moments to have a look. There are a lot of interesting points made.
You can find it here:
https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f243/must-read-29082.html

Top Bottom