Allowable overhang with a sled on a sled deck in BC

mudbug

Reaction score
Having a light or red flag pined to anything you have over hanging you box has always been enforced even in Alberta. How many of you go to the lumber store and throw in 10-12 foot lenghts of lumber, and then pin a red flag on the end of it. Its no different then having a sled over hang your deck safety first!!!!: trustme:

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
1 m = 3.28083 ' ( not 4' ) So you need to measure from your taillights. Clearance lights on decks are not acceptable for the simple reason that they're not wired for brake and signal. So if you are over legal lenght a bright orange/red flag will be hung at the far most rear point for daylight travel. A solid luminated red light will be placed at the same far most rear point for night tavel. Flashing lights are not allowed because they are for emergency vehicle use only. Red lighting is law for rear facing and amber for front facing. When pulling a trailer the tail lights on the trailer will now be referred to as the rear of the vehicle. When unhooked from your trailer you will revert back to the above first mentioned :d That's that in a nut shell.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a thought. As far as i know the motor vehicle act is a federal thing not provincal. So that would mean that laws like this apply to anywhere in canada. Just some provinces dont enforce them nearly aswell as others. I dont like seein or hearin that people get tickets for stuff like that. I own a short box chevy and when i pack my M1000 162 track sled in the back of the truck i am over length and require a light or flag. The cops in town here are really good if a person treats them with respect, they will usually explain to you what is needed to make things legal. That being said, as long as it isn't a safety hazard to others on the road.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its no different then carrying a ladder or pipe, lumber etc, anything that sticks out past the TAIL LIGHTS, not marker lights or clearance lights has to have a red flag during the day and a red light at night. End of Story!

Either stick a bicycle tail light on the end of the track or rig something up that plugs into the trailer socket. I personly had just a battery powered bike tail light that bunjeed onto the track but for next year I'm going to make up a harness that goes from the trailer socket then y's to two separate lights that I can bunjee on each track, at least then I'll have running and brake lights which should keep the popo happy and make things a little safer in fog or whiteout snow, extra lights cant hurt for safety, right?

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
1 m = 3.28083 ' ( not 4' ) So you need to measure from your taillights. Clearance lights on decks are not acceptable for the simple reason that they're not wired for brake and signal. So if you are over legal lenght a bright orange/red flag will be hung at the far most rear point for daylight travel. A solid luminated red light will be placed at the same far most rear point for night tavel. Flashing lights are not allowed because they are for emergency vehicle use only. Red lighting is law for rear facing and amber for front facing. When pulling a trailer the tail lights on the trailer will now be referred to as the rear of the vehicle. When unhooked from your trailer you will revert back to the above first mentioned :d That's that in a nut shell.

That sums it up nicely:dThis doesn't seem that hard to understand:confused::confused::confused:

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Traffic laws are province specific and there are many differences from province to province. Prime example in Alberta you can tow a second trailer behind a fifth wheel as long as you are under the max allowed length, in Sask you can tow a second trailer behind even a bumper pull in BC no additional trailers allowed. Driver`s responsibility to be familiar with the laws in the Province you are travelling in.

superduty 348

Reaction score
I don't get it, where does it say anything in the dot regs about 4' from your tail lights?It does say 1.5m which converts to 4.92ft from the tail lights, that allows alot of over hang even with a 162 or 163" track .But I still will carry a light just in case.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what if a guy found two nice led tail lights to mout on the back of the deck. if you wierd them with a trailer plug on the end and plug it in so you had signals and brakes at the back of the deck, would that not make your deck an extention of your truck and you would not have to worry about your sleds. just like a truck box camper has its own tail lights. then you would have 4 feet from the end of your deck. would that work or no.

whickey

Reaction score
Good question. I would think that it would work as they would allow that to fall under the trailer light part of the act. I am not a lawyer but from a common sence stand point i think it would work. However I do think that it would be easier to get a set of battery powered led lights and have them connected to you flap and then there are no questions. I am sure you could even figure out how to get your tail light of your sled wired with your truck and that could work. Maybe not legally but enough that I don't think they would yell to loud. Just my 0.02.

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking then its load the sled and have to worry. I know with the tow trucks its pretty well the same principal when i have vehicle on the back its just a extension of the truck as we put lights on the back.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is the official link to the regs.
I am sure it was posted before, but here it is anyhoo.

Lamps or flags on front and rear projections

4.20 (1) A vehicle on a highway must not carry a load or have an integral part of the vehicle which projects more than 1 m beyond the front wheels or the front bumper of the vehicle unless,

(a) during the time specified in section 4.01, the extreme tip of the projection is illuminatedwith a lamp that is capable of displaying only white light visible from the front and sides of the vehicle, and
(b) at any time other than that specified in section 4.01, a red flag or cloth that complies with section 8.05 (c) of the Commercial Transport Regulations and which is visible from the front and sides of the vehicle is attached to the extreme tip of the projection.
(2) A vehicle on a highway must not carry a load or have an integral part of the vehicle which projects more than 1.2 m to the rear of the load-deck or body of the vehicle unless,
(a) during the time specified in section 4.01, the extreme tip of the projection is lighted with a lamp that is capable of displaying only red light visible from a distance of 150 m to the rear of the vehicle, and
(b) at any time other than that specified in section 4.01, a red flag or cloth that complies with section 8.05 (c) of the Commercial Transport Regulations and which is visible to the driver of a vehicle to the rear is attached to the extreme tip of the projection.

There are regs regarding the maximum height for such lights too...
Not sure if this would apply, being not mounted tot he vehicle itself.

(3) Each tail lamp must be mounted on the vehicle at a height of not less than 38 cm and not more than 1.83 m.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
saw this thread bumped and decided to get it right from the peeps that decide, waiting for a return call from Prince George RCMP on the exact wording of the law, with definitions of tail lights and exact measurements as well as the section/subsection so anyone can look it up and be clear on the subject. will post when I get a response from Cst. Crist of the PG RC's.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looks like Cuso got it, for further clarification I asked the officer the definition of "rear of load deck or body of vehicle".

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Last winter I used 2 mag tow lites (park,brake & signal) on the back of the two sleds, Harness plugged into the truck....

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it just gets more confusing, Cst. Crist emailed me a copy of the regs and it states:

Provisions of Commercial Transport Regulations adopted
19.02 (1) Sizes and dimensions as quoted in Division 7 of B.C. Reg. 30/78, made under the Commercial Transport Act, as amended from time to time, are hereby adopted as subsection (1) and made a regulation under this Act.

(2) Notwithstanding any of the provisions of the regulations or of a permit issued pursuant to these regulations, the maximum height, length or width of a vehicle or load allowable on a highway or portion of a highway that is expressly limited as to maximum height, length or width of a vehicle or load by a sign erected by the minister charged with the administration of the Transportation Act shall be that set out on the sign.

(3) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Division, no person shall, without a permit issued pursuant to section 19.06, drive or operate on a highway

(a) a combination of vehicles consisting of more than 2 vehicles,

(b) a vehicle or combination of vehicles so loaded that the load extends more than 1 m beyond the front wheels thereof, or, if equipped with a front bumper, more than 1 m beyond the front bumper,

(c) a vehicle or combination of vehicles any part of which, or the load upon which, extends more than 4.5 m behind the centre of the last axle of the vehicle or combination of vehicles,

(d) a vehicle or combination of vehicles the load of which extends more than 185 cm beyond the back of the vehicle or combination of vehicles, or

(e) a vehicle so loaded that any part of the load extends beyond the sides of the vehicle.

(3.1) Subsection (3) (a) does not apply in respect of a combination of vehicles consisting of a motor vehicle, a towing dolly and a licensed motor vehicle one axle of which is being carried by the towing dolly.

(4) Unless expressly permitted by the terms of a permit, no person shall drive or operate an oversize vehicle or load on a Sunday or holiday.

[en. B.C. Reg. 68/71, s. 5; am. B.C. Regs. 343/77; 256/84, s. 10; 42/90, s. 1; 103/2006, s. 3.]

I think that the measurements in bold are the maximum allowable overhang, and not the measurements we are seeking for overhang where lights/flags are required.

he also gave me the name and contact number of the staff sgt. that is the head guy for the Northern District Traffic Enforcement, his name is Gord Flewelling @ 250-649-4006 and he is supposed to be able to clarify the law so there is no mis-interpretation.

here is another interesting tidbit....

Fine:

section 35.08 (2) Failure to stop or secure cargo $598, $573(if paid in 30 days)

ouch...

dezmitchell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was dumb enough to only buy a half ton so im good.:rant::rant::rant:

what a waste of money might as well of bought a mini van.

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it just gets more confusing, Cst. Crist emailed me a copy of the regs and it states:

Provisions of Commercial Transport Regulations adopted
19.02 (1) Sizes and dimensions as quoted in Division 7 of B.C. Reg. 30/78, made under the Commercial Transport Act, as amended from time to time, are hereby adopted as subsection (1) and made a regulation under this Act.

(2) Notwithstanding any of the provisions of the regulations or of a permit issued pursuant to these regulations, the maximum height, length or width of a vehicle or load allowable on a highway or portion of a highway that is expressly limited as to maximum height, length or width of a vehicle or load by a sign erected by the minister charged with the administration of the Transportation Act shall be that set out on the sign.

(3) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Division, no person shall, without a permit issued pursuant to section 19.06, drive or operate on a highway

(a) a combination of vehicles consisting of more than 2 vehicles,

(b) a vehicle or combination of vehicles so loaded that the load extends more than 1 m beyond the front wheels thereof, or, if equipped with a front bumper, more than 1 m beyond the front bumper,

(c) a vehicle or combination of vehicles any part of which, or the load upon which, extends more than 4.5 m behind the centre of the last axle of the vehicle or combination of vehicles,

(d) a vehicle or combination of vehicles the load of which extends more than 185 cm beyond the back of the vehicle or combination of vehicles, or

(e) a vehicle so loaded that any part of the load extends beyond the sides of the vehicle.

(3.1) Subsection (3) (a) does not apply in respect of a combination of vehicles consisting of a motor vehicle, a towing dolly and a licensed motor vehicle one axle of which is being carried by the towing dolly.

(4) Unless expressly permitted by the terms of a permit, no person shall drive or operate an oversize vehicle or load on a Sunday or holiday.

[en. B.C. Reg. 68/71, s. 5; am. B.C. Regs. 343/77; 256/84, s. 10; 42/90, s. 1; 103/2006, s. 3.]

I think that the measurements in bold are the maximum allowable overhang, and not the measurements we are seeking for overhang where lights/flags are required.

he also gave me the name and contact number of the staff sgt. that is the head guy for the Northern District Traffic Enforcement, his name is Gord Flewelling @ 250-649-4006 and he is supposed to be able to clarify the law so there is no mis-interpretation.

here is another interesting tidbit....

Fine:

section 35.08 (2) Failure to stop or secure cargo $598, $573(if paid in 30 days)

ouch...

Just wondering why the discussion is about Commercial transport? just having a one ton doesnt mean its commercial does it ?

Top Bottom