Allowable overhang with a sled on a sled deck in BC

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
11,790kg

However...leave the province even ONCE and you are required to have a FEDERAL safety fitness certificate...If you have a Federal certificate then anything over 4500kg, log books are required. Only exemption is the 160km radius rule, but by time you fill out all the date required, a log book is almost as easy.
I stand corrected and went out to my truck to look. thank you 11790
I have had no federal cert and own a truck that runs hotshots daily, and am fully insured in Alberta.

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I myself dont work out of province i have a welding rig that is registered for 6300kgs, i do not need a log book that is all that really concerns me, how yes being registered federal is a whole other can of worms the company i contract for thought it would be a good idea to be federal so they did it and like you said anything over 4500kgs needed to be logged which was a royal pain cuz all there crew trucks even if they wernt loaded needed to be logged

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know. I have a Freightliner FL60 that I pull my toyhauler with. That is all it does, I never do anything else with it. It is insured commercial, (that's the only way my insurance company would do it) but it's registered and plated private. With my quads, Ranger, blah blah, I weigh 34,000lbs. I talked to my insurance agent, the manager at motor vehicles, and 2 DOT's. They all said the same thing...I do not need to scale, or pack a log book because I am not lisenced commercial. I have drove past a bunch of scale houses, and never been bothered. Don't know if it's legal, but I'll keep on truckin'.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I don't know. I have a Freightliner FL60 that I pull my toyhauler with. That is all it does, I never do anything else with it. It is insured commercial, (that's the only way my insurance company would do it) but it's registered and plated private. With my quads, Ranger, blah blah, I weigh 34,000lbs. I talked to my insurance agent, the manager at motor vehicles, and 2 DOT's. They all said the same thing...I do not need to scale, or pack a log book because I am not lisenced commercial. I have drove past a bunch of scale houses, and never been bothered. Don't know if it's legal, but I'll keep on truckin'.

No, you should be fine, but rules for RV's are slated to begin changing by January 2011. IF all these rules come into play, you will have to scale like a commercial trucker AND follow all the rules which will include commercial plates (weight rated=expensive) log books, hours of service, annual CVIP on both truck and trailer. It will take a huge percentage of RVs right off the road if they implement all the rules. They would never have enough enforecment people if this happens, so the general concensus is that it will take many years if it ever happens.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I stand corrected and went out to my truck to look. thank you 11790
I have had no federal cert and own a truck that runs hotshots daily, and am fully insured in Alberta.

Haha, I know the number well, as we register whatever we can at 11,700kg to stay under the max. If you are running out of BC and into AB then you are REQUIRED to have a Federal Safety Fitness Certificate, but lots of us dont. Its once you get audited that they force you to have this. We are supposed to do it on our own, but many smaller companies dont. Once you have a few accidents or insurance claims, you will get audited then it all changes. If they get real pissy about it, they have the authority to take your running rights away, or suspend them until you get the certificate.

I am not telling you to get one, (I dont have one either) but these are the ramifications.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com

They forgot to tell you a decal must be on the side of the unit that states " Private Carrier - Not For Hire " and you can truck till your hearts content :beer:

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
My federal safety certificate with an AB base plate is my Alberta operating authority with a gvw of 46,500kgs. So my question is what are you guys using for your AB authority. I thought we were all on the same boat here. I'm not prorated but buy quarterly permits for BC. I run IFTA and have a FR# for my BC permit. How does things work for 4500 - 5500 kg licenced vehicles ? I assumed they were the same.

Last edited:

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
My federal safety certificate with an AB base plate is my Alberta operating authority with a gvw of 46,500kgs. So my question is what are you guys using for your AB authority. I thought we were all on the same boat here. I'm not prorated but buy quarterly permits for BC. I run IFTA and have a FR# for my BC permit. How does things work for 4500 - 5500 kg licenced vehicles ? I assumed they were the same.

I am able to keep my vehicles under the 11,700kg mark by registering the trucks and trailers separately. Legal and acceptable, and not required to have a safety fitness certificate. Works well since I have such a range of trailers with vastly different capacities. We do not run BC at all due to all the rules, but SK almost daily, every week for sure. For us we are able to claim the 160km radius even into SK so we do not do log books at all, however we do pre-trips as part of our safety program and SECOR but not because of DOT. Having a truck on the road right now is about one of the most confusing things on earth...

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We read these posts every year. If you have a short box truck and a longs sled, as trailblazer said, take an hour and make up a light bar from a paice of alumium, and some lights and hang it from the tracks on your sleds. Easy to do and no tickets! What is easier... Just following the law or have a anurisum about tickets.

I can't wait till we start to read the thread about guys bitchin' about BC's new excessive speed limits laws. The fines are really heavy! I'm sure we are gonna hear about that!

Follow the rules or pay the man!

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TTT...Might as well mention the new BC booze laws too. I know none of us drink and drive....we let the passengers indulge and whine at them because we have to stop and let 'em pee all the time. But I know that occasionally the driver will have one...just to wet the whistle, over the course of the trip. Well...in BC, you will be OVER the legal limit now. Take care me brothas!

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
TTT...Might as well mention the new BC booze laws too. I know none of us drink and drive....we let the passengers indulge and whine at them because we have to stop and let 'em pee all the time. But I know that occasionally the driver will have one...just to wet the whistle, over the course of the trip. Well...in BC, you will be OVER the legal limit now. Take care me brothas!

Good point. It doesn't take much to blow over .05... Then you have to pay an impound/tow bill. And they take your license on the spot. Horsefooey.

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't like it when I have to pay a fine, but.... We don't see it, but there is a lot of carnage on the BC roads. If you know someone that travels in BC a lot, they will probably agree! There has to be a reason for the goverment to change thee laws like they did! Anyone that has lost someone to foolishness on the roads will know the feeling that I am talkng about. Play safe!:)

thegeneral

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A pain,perhaps,the law for sure!Am easy solution is go to Napa,Princess Auto and purchase a mag. light for $20,you only need one per load and your good to go!!

This is a Lite Tracker 2001M you can get them on Grace industries.com or chiefsupply.com for around $45.00
they are visable for up to a mile and have a clip built in that clamps onto either the track or snowflap in about 3 seconds

Attachments

• IMG00288.jpg
    IMG00288.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 181
Top Bottom