Alberta Budget

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Pretty much got me from every direction..... only one that missed me was the tobacco tax increase by 3 months.....

Health care premium.......check
0.5% Income tax hike.......check (x2 wife will get hit as well)
$0.04/L gas tax.......check (75,000km/yr as a family)
Increased Alcohol tax.......gonna cost me more to forget.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep hit all the meat and potatoe members of society !!! Also going to cut health care and bring back premiums for all albertans.
Funny I didn't hear a lot about corporate tax increases or funding/training for all the unemployed people in the next few months !!
This is going to be expensive!!

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Health care TAX...if you will.

These are all regressive and hit the barely surviving and recently unemployed the hardest, not to mention will cause even more erosion of the middle class. It's a downward spiral for this province. Time for change.....

Wait till oil goes back up and gas along with it. Going to be pushing close to $2.00 per litre.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Not really hitting the low income.... just the middle class

No health care premium for incomes under $50K, No tax increase for incomes under $100K.

I'm actually OK with it, will cost us about $2500/yr as a family obviously not jumping for joy but in all reality it will have zero impact on how we live or what we do.

Health care TAX...if you will.

These are all regressive and hit the barely surviving and recently unemployed the hardest, not to mention will cause even more erosion of the middle class. It's a downward spiral for this province. Time for change.....

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gas tax, vehicle registrations, birth certs, death certs, marriage certs and who knows what else in the budget all increase.....all nickle and dime everyone, including the working poor.

A 1% rise in corporate tax would bring in some $500,000,000 of revenue and Alberta would still have one of the lowest corporate tax rates in the country.

Funny how the PEOPLE of Alberta are asked for more, but not one large corporation is asked for more. I read here about rates going down, wages getting cut, TFW slavery. Again, the downward spiral.

Need to go....have to fill up with gas and get booze. Sure hope I don't get a speeding ticket.....35% higher fines.

09 arctic cat m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Redford should be flogged, she gets away free and clean what a joke this world is going to hell in a handbasket, keep hitting the ones who actually take the time to go out and work, all the welfare cases that we pay for should be ashamed to,

Vance Matheson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i dont vote so i cant complain, but it still dosent look good. Taxing the corporations makes more sense.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else fill out the survey they had online? Me and basically everyone I know said we'd prefer the corporate taxes. Not like politicians ever listen to the people they represent

lloydguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO.........Canada is the richest country in the world.You name it,we have it. Oil,nat.gas,water,timber and all industries
to go with it,grain,diamond's, gold.ect,ect.The list goes on and on.We have been exporting all of what we have to market's
all over the world for 70 year's on a mass scale.What do we have to show for it? Government's running deficit's,highest tax's
in the world,close to the highest gas prices in the world,ect,ect. The gas tax's we already pay(AB and sask) bring in BILLION"S
more than what is spent on the services it was meant to pay for. (let's not forget that 25 year's ago these tax's were
next to nothing and somehow we still had road's)
So,let's raise the tax and send more money east for New marble floor's for our government building's,more free child care
for Quebec,and let's face it some MP's are just barely making end's meet with 500K expense account's.
For the thousand's of people we have voted to run the ship we are all sailing on.You would think that some of them would
understand basic math. If accountant's ran this country I think we would have TRILLION"S of dollar's in the bank.
I swear, a group of kindergarden student's could do a better job.

PS for anyone interested,just ask and I will tell you what I really feel.;););)

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else fill out the survey they had online? Me and basically everyone I know said we'd prefer the corporate taxes. Not like politicians ever listen to the people they represent
Over 70% of responders said raise corp taxes,... Once again the people we put in power not doing what as we wish, one day this whole system of power is gonna come crashing down hard, people will only take this **** for so long before they take to the streets

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After today's budget Smith would have been premier if she hadn't quit the WR party, bit shocking to me today to see the burden laid on the middle class, corporations pay zero, really zero?
Prentice the prick just took a lot of after tax money out of my pocket between health, income and fuel I will personally pay $2800 a year to pay for the mess Redford and Stelmach made after Ralph. When Ralph straightened out Alberta it cost me zero.

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our house will easily pay over $3000 more, that is just income tax, gas tax and health care, nevermind the luxuary taxes and increase gov expenses like vehicle registration and camping fees, lord knows hunting licences and such will jump as well!!

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shocking that in 2004 under Ralph we had a 4 billion dollar surplus on $40-50 dollar oil, and today we have a 7 billion dollar deficit on guess what $50 oil, 11 billion dollar swing makes me wonder wth that much money has gone.

With the price of booze might have to see if grandpa will dig the still out and fire it up.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ralph Klein was worse than prentice. He cut back on so much stuff, Health care, education, social services... I guess you were too young to have it not affect you?? LOL

He was unpopular back then and left Alberta in good shape. He was a hero... It affected a lot of people for sure.

As for corporate tax increases... Small business' need to thrive, Lots of closed doors if they tax more for smaller businesses..Large corps that make millions, I have no problems if they jacked up the tax.

We have been living high on the hog, at least something is being done.

After today's budget Smith would have been premier if she hadn't quit the WR party, bit shocking to me today to see the burden laid on the middle class, corporations pay zero, really zero?
Prentice the prick just took a lot of after tax money out of my pocket between health, income and fuel I will personally pay $2800 a year to pay for the mess Redford and Stelmach made after Ralph. When Ralph straightened out Alberta it cost me zero.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Isn't it nxt month that everyone power bills rocket up to cover the cost of the new power line project that will ship power down south...for profit!

So the health tax money is going into general revenue!! I doubt any of it will be spent directly on health care when they are also going to be cutting a half billion from the AHS budget.

They also mentioned not touching corporate tax because it could lead to job losses, then they turn around and say 2000 or more public servants will be cut. Albertan's will be paying more, for less service, while yet again the corporations are given welfare.

Paying a proper living wage and puting more back into the pockets of the middle class it what stimulates an economy and reduces social program burdens. We are going backwards!!!

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ralph Klein was worse than prentice. He cut back on so much stuff, Health care, education, social services... I guess you were too young to have it not affect you?? LOL

He was unpopular back then and left Alberta in good shape. He was a hero... It affected a lot of people for sure.

As for corporate tax increases... Small business' need to thrive, Lots of closed doors if they tax more for smaller businesses..Large corps that make millions, I have no problems if they jacked up the tax.

We have been living high on the hog, at least something is being done.

Sorry but I disagree and im old enough to know what it was like to do business with out a cell phone, what Ralph trimmed was fat, mostly administrators and beaurocrats were displaced, I wish he had put money into hwys but otherwise I think he was great, still remember well getting my 400 Ralph bucks.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alberta's health care is the biggest burden to Alberta.

I don't understand what you are getting at... More money in the pockets of Albertan's do not pay for the deficit. LESS money does. The poorer the citizen's, the stronger the government.

Isn't it nxt month that everyone power bills rocket up to cover the cost of the new power line project that will ship power down south...for profit!

So the health tax money is going into general revenue!! I doubt any of it will be spent directly on health care when they are also going to be cutting a half billion from the AHS budget.

They also mentioned not touching corporate tax because it could lead to job losses, then they turn around and say 2000 or more public servants will be cut. Albertan's will be paying more, for less service, while yet again the corporations are given welfare.

Paying a proper living wage and puting more back into the pockets of the middle class it what stimulates an economy and reduces social program burdens. We are going backwards!!!

Top Bottom