aftermarket tunnels with heated running board edges

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
anyone with an aftermarket tunnel with heated edges?

ia m wondering how they work.

i want to try to plumb coolant into the rails on an xp. and if it works out possibly build a kit. but id like to know if this actually spreads enough heat to clean the complete running board. or at least keep it slushy so it can be easily removed

Last edited:

scrfce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what ive heard it works pretty good, but i havent seen it for myself

Wally in Calgary

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

i want to try to plumb coolant into the rails on an xp. and if it works out possibly build a kit. but id like to know if this actually spreads enough heat to clean the complete running board. or at least keep it slushy so it can be easily removed
I don't have an after market but I have them on my Edge and they work pretty good. I never get a large buildup but sometimes at the front I will have to clean some off. FWIW
POL.jpg

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

As stated, it works good. not sure how you want to do it on the XP, are you thinking of welding the ends/sides or putting a whole separate tube in there?

If you use a separate tube, the heat will not transfer as well as if you just plumbed it so coolant flows through the edge directly. Also, you will need some beefy running board supports, one small bend in the boards that results in a crack and all your coolant flows onto the ground. Ekholm and others used this design as well in their tunnels, I don't think that enyone ever made them strong enough though. Almost needs to be a 2 piece tunnel, thicker on the running boards.

Yamaha uses small coolers that mount under the running boards (at least they did on the 06 Apex), this might be something you want to look at too, the contact surface of the warm cooler seems to be enough to keep the running boards slushy enough to kick it off.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the xp running board edge has about a half inch core running all the way through it. i was planning to cap the ends and have fittings welded on eithe end. as far as bending that is a good point. i havent seen an xp board break or crack yet but i have heard of it happening. for that i would think a valve could do the trick? what would be a good place to splice in? i dont think using the heated carb circuit is a good enough supply. another option if it actually worked would be to delete the front cooler and use that supply.

all ideas right now.

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you want to do some testing i can help you out with the welding part of it...

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the xp running board edge has about a half inch core running all the way through it. i was planning to cap the ends and have fittings welded on eithe end. as far as bending that is a good point. i havent seen an xp board break or crack yet but i have heard of it happening. for that i would think a valve could do the trick? what would be a good place to splice in? i dont think using the heated carb circuit is a good enough supply. another option if it actually worked would be to delete the front cooler and use that supply.

all ideas right now.

Remember when we were out last june and jumping a bit...........well had a look at my edges the nest day and the left was cracked right through.........that would end in a bad day..................................

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should talk to Jeff at Quantum Velocity, he's a member here. He has built some incredible tunnels with built-in cooler lines. I'm sure he'd be able to help you out.

POWDERSLUT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
c3 powersports runs them through there running boards and through the back bumper and then back through the running boards . slickest setup i've ever seen..

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
mmmm just wondering why polaris and van amburg dont build these anymore............seems funny dont it?

paulw22

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 06 Iq with the heated edges, they melt about a inch in from the edge. They are seperate form the tunnel and riveted on. Durability is not a issue with the ones on the Polaris. The issue would be looping them at the back or making it look good to tie into existing cooler. http://parts.polarisind.com/Assemblies.asp then under cooling.
if you need these, i know of a trashed chassis you may be able to salvage them. Personly I would not mess with it, I had to make my own running boards to get the snow out, but they are warm on a cold day

paulw22

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh, for what its worth I have removed my front cooler on my polaris. Running board coolers and small rear cooler, scratchers and no problem.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my Apex has coolers under the running boards.......it makes it just warm enough to melt the snow.... but when it is cooler out it just freezes into a solid block of ice.......they suck! just my 2 cents!

climbmax

Team Thunderstruck
Reaction score
I have 4 CR tunnels with them on all......work real well with the step through footwells. The next genration CR tunnel will be out real soon and Chad also incorporates them again. I like 'em.
RS

muffin

Reaction score
Racers edge in Dewinton built the setup on my Apex , just a tube , serrated, for non slip, down each side , works way better than my XP , or M 7 , kicking the crap out of the ice with my Klim boots, but i dont need an excuse for the wife to replace my boots often LOL

Top Bottom