Advice on sled rentals, etc??

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright I know this is a bit premature but I wanted to gain as much info now so I can start looking into it in the beginning of sled season...

Thanks to some pretty heavy influence at the Jamboree this past weekend (Taminator, Arborist, White6...) to name a few, my hubby has become increasingly more interested in trying out sledding. I've been sledding a few times throughout the years, nothing crazy and never been to the mountains but this year we're hoping to rent some mountain sleds and hopefully hook up with some experienced members to tour us around and try it out! Can't fathom spending 10gs+ on a pair of sleds and a trailer off the bat if we can only make it to the mountains a few times a season, but if we rent them a couple times and really enjoy it may be something we'll look into down the road..

So i'm looking for some advice on the best route for renting sleds/gear as far as convenience/price goes..

If we're planning to hook up with fellow riders for a weekend in the mountains, and if we need to transport our own rentals, is it best to rent them at a nearby place close to the hills? Or is it better to rent out of Edmonton and haul them out to the mountains? Also any opinions as far as rental outfits (in BC or Edmonton area), who rents out good beginner mountain sleds, etc would be helpful too..

Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Alright I know this is a bit premature but I wanted to gain as much info now so I can start looking into it in the beginning of sled season...

Thanks to some pretty heavy influence at the Jamboree this past weekend (Taminator, Arborist, White6...) to name a few, my hubby has become increasingly more interested in trying out sledding. I've been sledding a few times throughout the years, nothing crazy and never been to the mountains but this year we're hoping to rent some mountain sleds and hopefully hook up with some experienced members to tour us around and try it out! Can't fathom spending 10gs+ on a pair of sleds and a trailer off the bat if we can only make it to the mountains a few times a season, but if we rent them a couple times and really enjoy it may be something we'll look into down the road..

So i'm looking for some advice on the best route for renting sleds/gear as far as convenience/price goes..

If we're planning to hook up with fellow riders for a weekend in the mountains, and if we need to transport our own rentals, is it best to rent them at a nearby place close to the hills? Or is it better to rent out of Edmonton and haul them out to the mountains? Also any opinions as far as rental outfits (in BC or Edmonton area), who rents out good beginner mountain sleds, etc would be helpful too..

Thanks

If your in Mcbride Spindrift rents locally. Its about 300 a day which is average.
The folks your talking to ride down south so I'm not sure about a local guy down there ..... must be someone in Calgary I'm sure. ?

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks
Rent locally where ever you are going to ride. Saves on fuel, trailering and running into unexpected issues or breakdowns when you are 400 kms away from the dealer. If something goes wrong with a local rental outfit, you take it back at the end of the day and make them exchange it so you can ride the next day.

Lots of good places to rent, recommend Vinne Clark west of you guys, pro hill climber and good sleds. Also our very own Glen of Spindrift rents sleds as well, definitely the two I would be renting from west of Edmonton. If you are interested in coming south, Golden Sled Rentals has some nice Yammy phazers that would suit you as first timers for Day 1, then your manservant
might want to step up to something a little bigger and more nimble once the confidence improves. Most places that rent sleds also rent avy gear as well. If you have warm winter gear, IMO wear it for the first time and decide if you like sledding first before you drop $500 on a new outfit only to find out you hate being cold.

Start small, don't be ashamed to rent something in the beginner class for the first day. I know u guys are bikers so you might be inclined to think its the same, bikes and sleds are different. Sleds are hard to throw around until you get the idea of working with the sleds power to carve/sidehill/turn it, not against it. Trying to learn the basic skills on an overpowered brute will only take longer than starting small and learning the tips and tricks before adding the bigger power. The learning curve is fairly short and the new sleds will have you riding like rockstars in no time, the new tech can make a decent rider out of anyone.

Another tip is to plan the time of year. Late March offers nice riding, longer days for better value on renting, snow is setup better but will still have powder as well. Deep pow is fun but not for learning on, very high likelihood you will be stuck most of the day and late March allows some exploration of areas with a better snow base and the weather is typically more moderate.

Hope that helps.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your in Mcbride Spindrift rents locally. Its about 300 a day which is average.
The folks your talking to ride down south so I'm not sure about a local guy down there ..... must be someone in Calgary I'm sure. ?

Not too many places in Calgary rent sleds and whatever you do, research All Season Rentals on this site before you rent anything from them.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys for shout out for us.. Greatly appreciated. We have our new 2012's on order for next season. If you would like any info aboyut renting from us dont hesitate to give us a holler. We also have a two place sled trailer that is available to rent if a person needs one.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your in the Golden BC area, talk to Aaron from GSR, he and his staff guide locally in the Golden and surrounding riding area's. He also has transportation, and top notch sled rentals, and all Avalanche gear as well. He is one super dude, and has helped our group out with parts, and knowledge for the past few years of sledding trips to Golden...

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are in Revy there is Mark at Revelstoke Snowmobile tours as he will haul the sleds to the hill and pick them up as well. In the Crowsnest Pass you can rent new Skidoo's from Mr. R's. Keely from the old Mountain Memories is managing that operation in Bellvue right on the highway. Great times! you will love the sport I'm sure.:d:d:beer:

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not too many places in Calgary rent sleds and whatever you do, research All Season Rentals on this site before you rent anything from them.

Over The Top in Calgary Tim's a great guy and has great machines Poo's and Doo's even a nytro turbo to rent if ya wanna get crazy.:beer::d

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
If you are in Revy there is Mark at Revelstoke Snowmobile tours as he will haul the sleds to the hill and pick them up as well. In the Crowsnest Pass you can rent new Skidoo's from Mr. R's. Keely from the old Mountain Memories is managing that operation in Bellvue right on the highway. Great times! you will love the sport I'm sure.:d:d:beer:

What about the Doo's in Fernie at GearHub? Will those be available this coming season?

rooster 54

Reaction score
Do not forget René St-Onge in Sicamous.

You need a good guide to go to those places that will be a nice level of difficulties for you.

Jason and René know their terrain perfectly.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess I had some misinformation but rumours abound in the valley! Thanks for clearing it up tho':beer::beer::beer:

Wow, has that campground at Mountain Memories ever picked up.....looked pretty much full the other day.....nice to see!

Another dealer who I can't say thought there was an alliance going on much to BRP's concern but it was proved only a rumor.:rolleyes::rolleyes: The campground looks like a great little business. :)

fatguy1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Modman has some awesome suggestions that I would swear by for folks that want to rent... very good!

the days are way too short in Dec, Jan, and even early Feb to spend $300.00 a day for a rental (IMHO). I've rented from Vinnie at Alpine country rentals more than once and he is a straight up good guy. (He doesn't do a lot of talking, not that it's a bad thing). If you have questions, make sure and ask.

I want to know what are your guys plans once you go sledding and get hooked:d:d:d

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do not forget René St-Onge in Sicamous.

You need a good guide to go to those places that will be a nice level of difficulties for you.

Jason and René know their terrain perfectly.

X2 one of the best lodges and great guys out Sicamouse way yoiu can't beat em.:beer::d

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Modman has some awesome suggestions that I would swear by for folks that want to rent... very good!

the days are way too short in Dec, Jan, and even early Feb to spend $300.00 a day for a rental (IMHO). I've rented from Vinnie at Alpine country rentals more than once and he is a straight up good guy. (He doesn't do a lot of talking, not that it's a bad thing). If you have questions, make sure and ask.

I want to know what are your guys plans once you go sledding and get hooked:d:d:d

It doesnt matter when you go its always worth it ,Just dont go when theres No snow as it gets Expensive!!:d

Alpine Country Rentals is Valemount rents sleds aswell. They have Both 600s and 800s, as well as rent trailers.

You can pretty much go anywhere and someone will tour you around, Just talk to some guys at the Cabins. Even then your first Trip if you dont have anyone to tour you around, theres always lots of area to ride around the Cabins without getting into Trouble. Plus it will help you get your riding boots on before you head out to who knows where.

Just hope you get a day with some good fresh snow, and clear skies otherwise it may push you away from the sport because its snowing a foot an Hour and you cant see a thing.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Something that wasn't mentioned about late March sledding is the fact that the air temps will usually be much warmer than Jan and Feb. Sure, it can still be cold but normally it is quite a bit warmer and that makes the day soooo much better.

Just a thought for some newbies........

-LadyDirt-

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the helpful tips. Lots to consider. Although I don't think we will actually "hire" a tour guide, as we will likely plan a trip to go with people we know that know the hills quite well, so we're a bit more comfortable and not with strangers. Sounds like pretty much any hill you plan to ride there is a rental outfit nearby so that's good! I like the idea of renting right at the hill opposed to renting out of Edmonton and trailering the rentals all the way out and spending the extra $$ on fuel, etc. It's hard to say when we will actually end up planning the trip, as mentioned it would have to be scheduled around whoever we plan to hook up with, but sounds like a lot of the best riding occurs mid-later season so I will definitely keep that in mind!

Top Bottom