advice for protecting new truck agains gravel

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so, I gots me a 2011 Ram 1500 but there are 9000 hard KM on it already.

A handfull of gravel marks with paint chipped off (wheel well and leading edge of box) and surface rust so i have to get on this. recommendations? I Line-x the bottom half of my old truck but that might be excessive this time.

thanks for your suggestions.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had clear vinyl put on the leading edge of the box, front of the hood etc. Works well for protecting from rock chips.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That spray on rock guard is ok just get a good company to spray it(not Macco!)

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have you got a good set of mud flaps to start with? Not the small plastic factory ones, a good rubber set.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have you got a good set of mud flaps to start with? Not the small plastic factory ones, a good rubber set.

thats the best way there. i have nearly 100k now on my 09 ford, probably 5-10 miles a day on gravel average and only spot there is any rock chips is on the bumper and even then it is very few. i also run farely aggressive tires on it as well.
good luck and enjoy your purchase.

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good advice all, I spent last night looking at mud flaps and will give XSYourRides a call today and see what he reccomends.

Good rubber ones too.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
good advice all, i spent last night looking at mud flaps and will give xsyourrides a call today and see what he reccomends.

Good rubber ones too.

got a few chips on my 2011 3500 megacab already too(3000KMS).... It has the good mudflaps. Not gonna stop them all, i guess :( thought about rock guarding the bottom half and around the wheel wells too, but thought it might be excessive?

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got a few chips on my 2011 3500 megacab already too(3000KMS).... It has the good mudflaps. Not gonna stop them all, i guess :( thought about rock guarding the bottom half and around the wheel wells too, but thought it might be excessive?

The pAint on vehicles is so thin now. Venture sheild is the 3m film. And it will rock chip underneath it. Not much you can do to protect a shitty product. Kinda like the chrome bumpers that rust in one yr. You can actually gouge the chrome with a key. In the old days the bumpers never rusted for the first 20 yrs. My new king ranch is also this way. Sad what we get for 70 grand

Griz-L-Bar

Reaction score
It depends what you want your truck to look like, Clean or work. Even the paint matched box liner still looks rough.

I would make sure you get some paint on the damaged areas, as long as it is not excessive you could purchase chrome wheel lip trim, and paint it so the chrome still covers the new painted area. And then put on some flaps.

Leading edge of the box.hmm touch up paint and 3m clear tape that chit it tough.

Gravel is near immpossible to not get chips while driving on it, Only thing you can try to do is control it, and drive 50km/h or less and take up the entire road when someone come flying down it at 90mph so they have to slow down to

Oh ya make sure you get the widest and longest mud-flap you can.

I think I'll throw one of my biggest pet peeves in here and laughably points.

Brand new 1 ton diesel- 60,000
4" Inch lift kit- 3,000
20" rims and mud tires- 5,000
Window vents, box rails and etc- 2,000
Exhaust,Chip,Intake, tinted windows, white sunglasses, and affliction apparel with half sideways hat- 10,000

Not being able to afford $200 set of mudflaps to protect all that crap and MY F-ING window....Punch to your dumb face:smiliestirthepot:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my buddy that works in a body shop told me not to use bedliner type stuff because it's near impossible to get off if they need to ever repair body damage. he suggests the 3M film if you want to rock guard your vehicle. I would think mudflaps are a no brainer.....you would have to be a retard to buy a brand new truck and not have them.

08154XP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3M rock guard protection is the way to go and the sooner you get it done the better. Just put some touch up paint on the rock chips and then get the 3M done.

steveo10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
i got a guy at the local decal place to put on some clear film. goes about 8" all the way across the bottom. 140,000km later and still holding up fairly good.

i can take a pic if u want

Canuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my buddy that works in a body shop told me not to use bedliner type stuff because it's near impossible to get off if they need to ever repair body damage. he suggests the 3M film if you want to rock guard your vehicle. I would think mudflaps are a no brainer.....you would have to be a retard to buy a brand new truck and not have them.

LOL, thanks Teeroy. Luckily I'm not the retarded one as I bought the truck used. Although, some might disagree.

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just trade mine in every 3 years :d

I trade up every 2 years.:p My new one will be ready for pick up in 10 days or so.:cool: I agree with the theory of using good mud flaps. I have very little gravel rash on my trucks after approx 100,000 kms, which is when I trade them in. Not spinning your tires and fish tailing around every corner like some azzhats do that like to play Nascar as soon as they leave the pavement helps too.:d

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure you don't do like my dodge dealership did with my mudflaps...screwed them on with self drilling, self tapping screws. Just got my truck back from the body shop with 2 new front fenders courtesy of Dodge. Rusted through after 64 000km on an 07 Ram. Always in heated garage and clean.

Top Bottom