Add winch to sled deck

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice in what direction to go. I would like to add a winch to my sled deck and have found a cheap one for $50 and it's a 1750lb. Is this enough? I also don't want to hard wire the winch into the truck, maybe just long cables to reach to under the hood when needed. Is there a special type that i should look at? what kind of pulley system are you guys with this set up running?...any advice and pics would be great. TIA

$_59 (5).JPG

towerrigger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Costco sells one that is in a toolbox. Probably work good if your not permanently mounting it to the deck. You could just rig it back to the front tie offs. You probably could even run it off a small battery so that you are not running cables to front of truck. Might end up being cheaper than buying the cables. Battery would have to be left on a charger when not in use though.

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the tips guys... Would the cable dig into the end of the deck? or something not to worry about...?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the tips guys... Would the cable dig into the end of the deck? or something not to worry about...?
Ya it might a bit, but no different than a carbide lol

Usually it's to keep it from coming back down ramp when loading, but your helping it go up if you know what I mean

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would hard wire the power with a quick connector on the deck or in the box.

Need to check the rated motor current of the winch you buy then size a FUSE, wire and quick connector appropriately.

Get the appropriate size welding cable (soft and flexible) in red and black. #6 wire is good for a max 65 amps and would be good for most small winches.

Princess auto shopping!

Remember fuse or breaker!

9a3386327490af5ffb5e6f304f9e90b7.jpg

Last edited:

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would hard wire the power with a quick connector on the deck or in the box.

Need to check the rated motor current of the winch you buy then size a FUSE, wire and quick connector appropriately.

Get the appropriate size welding cable (soft and flexible) in red and black. #6 wire is good for a max 65 amps and would be good for most small winches.

Princess auto shopping!

Remember fuse or breaker!

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180302/9a3386327490af5ffb5e6f304f9e90b7.jpg

That would look clean...would the 1750lb be enough? Truck Boss winch kit uses a 3,500lb....seems a bit overkill?

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would look clean...would the 1750lb be enough? Truck Boss winch kit uses a 3,500lb....seems a bit overkill?

Depends how messed up whatever you're dragging up the ramp is. Definitely enough for a normal sled or quad.
Can always add a snatch block to double your capacity also.

Team Pigeon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Food for thought here: if you can mount a 2” ball to your deck, Then fab a mounting plate to your 2” hitch coupler. Easy on, easy off. Always pulls straight.

Top Bottom