Winch on Sled Deck

Giver800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for some examples/pics of how you guys have mounted a winch on your sled decks. I tried searching online and cant find a lot of info on it. We are wanting to use the winch mostly for loading watercraft in the summer but will be good for those bad days when you need to drag a dead sled up the ramp. It will be on a older Marathon deck if that makes any difference.

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here’s my set up, it’s just a cheap winch from Cambodian Tire.

444ba51cec7791764fdbf81e9fce9164.jpg
b7f57eac5c9827f6e840015f5bef996c.jpg
cb705157cf3d91d7b75fdabcfcdcc51e.jpg

Giver800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Nice thanks! You don't have issues having it mounted on the one side while pulling something up on the opposite side? Trying to think of a way we could easily move it from side to side of the deck so we don't have to pull from the opposite side. Also any issues with the cable digging into the end of the deck when pulling something up?

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice thanks! You don't have issues having it mounted on the one side while pulling something up on the opposite side? Trying to think of a way we could easily move it from side to side of the deck so we don't have to pull from the opposite side. Also any issues with the cable digging into the end of the deck when pulling something up?

I just pull up on the one side then move over by hand if needed.

For the cable wearing on the deck I carry a pitiful 2x4 to use as a softener, if u use the winch a lot I’ll end up changing to a synthetic / cloth cable.

AlsoX the mounting plate has a lip that wraps around the headache rack, you might be able to get away without bolting it, but I didn’t want to risk it.
0790cf9951ad8251f58e5db40602f51a.jpg

Giver800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just pull up on the one side then move over by hand if needed.

For the cable wearing on the deck I carry a pitiful 2x4 to use as a softener, if u use the winch a lot I’ll end up changing to a synthetic / cloth cable.

AlsoX the mounting plate has a lip that wraps around the headache rack, you might be able to get away without bolting it, but I didn’t want to risk it. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200321/0790cf9951ad8251f58e5db40602f51a.jpg
Alright thanks for the info. Yeah I'm not risking leaving it unsecured to the deck on some form that's just asking for trouble I think. I may just resort to mounting it to the one side then moving the sled/PwC to bring the other up if I can't figure out a way to quickly fasten it to the deck on each side. Thanks for the pics and info!

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
My deck is set up with SuperGlides in a manner that two sleds will fit and also one sled. In other words the the SuperGlides are positioned to configure that set up. If I were to put on a winch (and I have thought about doing just that because it is a pita getting a dead sled up the ramp without a lot of help), I would put it in the middle and as René mentioned, just hand bomb the dead sled into position. Not a big deal to move the dead sled over.

Giver800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My deck is set up with SuperGlides in a manner that two sleds will fit and also one sled. In other words the the SuperGlides are positioned to configure that set up. If I were to put on a winch (and I have thought about doing just that because it is a pita getting a dead sled up the ramp without a lot of help), I would put it in the middle and as René mentioned, just hand bomb the dead sled into position. Not a big deal to move the dead sled over.
Yeah ours is a similar setup in that sense and that's what we will likely end up doing unless we can figure out a smart quick release system to be able to move the winch side to side. Just be easier to move the winch side to side as opposed to moving a sled or jetski but if we cant then oh well. Thanks for the input!

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah ours is a similar setup in that sense and that's what we will likely end up doing unless we can figure out a smart quick release system to be able to move the winch side to side. Just be easier to move the winch side to side as opposed to moving a sled or jetski but if we cant then oh well. Thanks for the input!

You could do two rows of supertracks on each side, as long as you back them securely enough.

https://superclamp.net/product/supertrac-kits/

awkwardmoose

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
One thought would be to permanently mount the winch just to the mounting plate(like Rene's plate design) and make holes in the plate for mounting bolts.

Next, run a set of longer mounting bolts from the UNDERside of the deck up to the top of the deck with washers/nuts securing just the bolts to the deck and leave couple inches of threads/stud sticking up above the nuts (enough to go through the mounting plate). Place bolts in the same mounting pattern on both the left and right sides.

Then you can place the winch/plate combo on the left or right bolt pattern and just hand tight nuts on the studs, ‘temporarily’ mounting it on the side you need it.

You could also put plugs on the 12-vlt power so that you can take the winch/plate combo completely off if not needed.

Drawback is that there will always be a set of studs poking up on each side when the winch is in storage, but they might be useful for temporarily bolting on other things (hooks, tie downs, etc).

Giver800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure the side mount/pully idea will work for our setup unfortunately.

I think Rene and awkwardmoose ideas should work though. Thanks for the ideas guys!

Giver800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you guys blowing up sleds often enough to warrant a winch or is this for something else?
We are doing this mostly to put a seadoo and jetski up there in the summer not so much sleds but would be handy if a sled did happen to blow up. Havent had a sled blow up in a long time though (knock on wood).

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would suggest having it removable so you can put it away,keepin it out of the elements. Salt and water gives it a shorter life span. I find a good winch helps me all the time and in different scenarios around my acreage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom