ABS Backpack

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I briefly checked out the abs backpacks at Rocky Mountain Extreme at the sledshow and I'm thinking of heading down to the Cowtown show to buy one.I thought the 30 ltr ones were the bigger ones but I noticed on there website they have 50 ltr ones.My question would the 50 ltr one be too big?They are 3/10's of a pound heavier and only 40 bucks more.Ron I know you bought one and so did lococoin.How big were the ones you guys bought?
thanks catmando!
Did you guys get a couple extra canisters.One for testing and one for you pack?

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got the 30 liter. the 50 is more for backcountry trips where you would stay overnight or need lots of gear. I thought the 15 was a bit small so i got this one.

They use the test canister to test it when you buy it. You get one canister and one trigger with the pack that you take with you.

I am home on wednesday, feel free to pm me for my number and you can come over and check it out. Maybe shoot a few games of pool and drink some beer, I know it sounds rough:D

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds good,I would like to see that fuel tank system you have on your pickup as well.Time to add a tank so I can go too the mountains and back without fueling up!
Talk to ya later!
catmando!

doo800

Reaction score
I am buying one too,but I am not sure what size yet. I am leaning more towards the 30L pack but I want something to carry my shovel and probe in.:confused::confused:

Go-Vertical

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am buying one too,but I am not sure what size yet. I am leaning more towards the 30L pack but I want something to carry my shovel and probe in.:confused::confused:

Just bought the 30 lt. Vario. I have an sos sovel and probe they fit in the outer pocket ok.:):)

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
30 ltr. is a good alround size for day bag, 15 is kinda small and I need to buy gas before a 50 would be needed. Remember the reason you're buying it and strap it on properly so it doesn't get torn off if you ever use it, have never packed the 30 tight yet but I also have a tunnel bag:cool:

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just bought the 30 lt. Vario. I have an sos sovel and probe they fit in the outer pocket ok.:):)

do you have a link to that one. the one i have doesnt have an outer pocket for the shovel probe, lots of room inside though so thats where i plan on putting it. There is a spot on the outside with two straps, its supposed to hold the shovel but havent really looked at it yet. I will have to check it out in a bit more detail once im home and my new shovel arrives.

EDIT: I remember looking at that one at the show. Didnt notice it had the outer bag on it though. Here is the picture

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the Vario system. I am thinking of getting two - one for me and my daughter. After looking at the Aqualung system - I think that this will give me more peace of mind. I also understand that you can get a small size for the Vario (Freestyle or something like that) and then zip on a bigger pack if you need it. That would be good for my daughter as she is only 10

Top Bottom