A decent helmet

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had tried a Helmet from canadian tire, a fuel one for sledding gave to my son. Bought a Gmax 37, converts from Quadding to snow (double paned visor) but I found that if I hade the chin skirt on I always fell like I couldn't breathe, probably doesn't help that the skirt gets soaked quick, If I take it out I freeze the bottom half of my face. Any one got a suggestion for a good helmet. I fog up something fierce so I definitely need something that diverts all breath away but doesn't restrict my breathing. Suggestions? Trying not to break the bank but I need something. Thanks.:dunno:

synergycycle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had tried a Helmet from canadian tire, a fuel one for sledding gave to my son. Bought a Gmax 37, converts from Quadding to snow (double paned visor) but I found that if I hade the chin skirt on I always fell like I couldn't breathe, probably doesn't help that the skirt gets soaked quick, If I take it out I freeze the bottom half of my face. Any one got a suggestion for a good helmet. I fog up something fierce so I definitely need something that diverts all breath away but doesn't restrict my breathing. Suggestions? Trying not to break the bank but I need something. Thanks.:dunno:

Best bang for your buck is HJC.

plio7

GBCA Member
Reaction score
maybe try martins, they have incredible deals on helmets this time of year and as a cat owner i am sad to say i have yet to try on a helmet i have found nicer to wear than a doo helmet....gf got hers there for $99 about 2 weeks ago, reg $259, and i bought mine of my sister in law because i liked it so much.....she bought another doo helmet

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I really like the Zox helmets. Good venting for quading and good breath deflector for sledding. I am very claustraphobic and I find this helmet doesn't restrict my movement or breathing.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
i have a klim helmet and would have to agree with plio, the doo helmets are just as if not more comfortable.....

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Zox ? or Klim where did you get them?:) I will stop at Martins Tomorrow to try their helmets. any other suggetions?

Last edited:

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BRP helmets are pretty good IMO. $189 comfy, not too heavy and the breath guard allows you to breathe well and not fog up your goggles.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/f14/helmits-45876.html - my opinion on helmet choices.

I feel your pain. Nothing worse than a helmet that fogs.

The best thing that prevents shields from fogging is moving air. From the sounds of it you like this syle of helmet.

Full face street bike helmets are not great for sledding. They are designed for warm weather. Your Gmax may be designed more for warmer weather. Simply just switching out the visor won't cure your issue.

Everything from the heat excaping your head/face to how you breath will effect your fogging.

Don't wear a full head balaclava if you currently do. Its trapping heat/moisture in your helmet. If you do wear a balaclava, wear a half face. Undo your jacket a bit at the top when you start to fog, allow that heat to get out and air to move.

If you do tend to get a cold face, wear a fleece style neck protector/warmer that is loose and easy to remove. You don't want something that traps moisture.

Otherwise, go to an open/MX style helmet and wear goggles.

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have a Klim, One Industries, and HJC, the klim is the final choice the others are in the closet, the HJC is comfy but feels heavy, the one is decent all around but my klim is the lightest, no fog issues usually, and I got it off ebay for $200

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took the visor out my Gmax(it broke) went to goggles, took out the chin skirt and had to ditch the nose piece as it interfered with the goggles but nose gets cold. Wore the balaclava(full head piece) took it off cuz I wasn't getting enough air when trying to dig myself out(happens a lot). Either I am too damn picky or I really like to see where I am going without freezing to death. maybe I should get one of those starwars helmets they look cool(just kidding):rolleyes:

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Zox ? or Klim where did you get them?:) I will stop at Martins Tomorrow to try their helmets. any other suggetions?

Martin has the Klim, I'd suggest trying it on there and figuring out if you like it and what size...

then search it out.... prices are all over the place.... most internet sellers want $299-$399 but if you look around the same helmet can be had for $179 + $25 shipping....

steven2120

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is the helmet i use...no breath deflector, but with the 509 goggles i use i hardly ever fog up...I guess i should say that its a Arctic Cat Sno Cross Sno Pro Helmet

Attachments

• 201f72ee-de66-4cc4-8b05-32733fbfa0b3.jpg
    201f72ee-de66-4cc4-8b05-32733fbfa0b3.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 157

Wally in Calgary

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I took the visor out my Gmax(it broke) went to goggles, took out the chin skirt and had to ditch the nose piece as it interfered with the goggles but nose gets cold. Wore the balaclava(full head piece) took it off cuz I wasn't getting enough air when trying to dig myself out(happens a lot). Either I am too damn picky or I really like to see where I am going without freezing to death. maybe I should get one of those starwars helmets they look cool(just kidding):rolleyes:

You sound like myself. I could never stop sweating in my helmet and fogging up. I fixed it by getting a Gmax modular electric helmet. It has lots of vents and the shield never fogs even at -20. When your stuck you can lift the whole front of the helmet and when your riding if it gets a little warm you can open the visor 1 notch and it cools you right away. It was the best thing I did and it is quite versatile warm or cold. FWIW JMHO.
H2.jpg

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is a 509 Helmet, I looked at the modular before have to check again.

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SixSixOne makes a really nice helmet. My son and I both wear them, nice and light, good ventilation and awesome graphics. Oh, and they fit goggles nicely!! I ended up getting a rockin' deal on my sons helmet, Ebay for $79.00 last fall.

slednk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have 509 matte black helmet and the black ops googles and they are awsome they never ever fog up i ca go sledding in the yard walk in the house without a balacava and no fog lol.... but other googles dont fit right in the helmet.

gibsons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have 509 matte black helmet and the black ops googles and they are awsome they never ever fog up i ca go sledding in the yard walk in the house without a balacava and no fog lol.... but other googles dont fit right in the helmet.

I have the same setup but i can't stop from fogging up. I love the helmet though and bought a second one.

mdwils

Reaction score
Got a gloss black 509 with aviators, glad to hear I'm not the only one that fogs up with em. Plus I freeze on both sides of my chin. They're not a cold weather helmet.

Top Bottom