Tree Well close call

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am sure some remember but a teenager died from falling in a tree well early season about 3-4 years ago in hunters range, riding with his dad. I'm sure we all know about Rene St. Onge with the creek 3 years ago as well. Need to keep our witts about us and always watch out for our buddies, thing can turn bad quick and happen to anyone! We always try to keep at least one other person in sight when playing in the trees. Radio checks ins have helped a ton

longtrack 156

Reaction score
Just managed to get off before this OOPPS..STUCK 01.jpg OOPPS..STUCK.jpg

Reactions: RXN

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As snowbikers, we spend 95% of our time in the trees. You definitely get complacent and just ride.....hitting pillow after pillow. But just a slight bump the wrong way from an old track under the snow and it can change in a blink. Sh1t even making the simple mistake of putting a foot down when stopped will send you over.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On Saturday in Valemount we were doing some tree riding in Clemina Creek, Bauers area. I caught the edge of a tree and toppled off my sled directly into a tree well head first. I went in quite hard and my head was sideways down approximately 4' below snow level, then the snow fell from the tree. Filled my helmet up with snow pushing it into my nose and mouth, one arm underneath me and the other at my face so I was able to make a breathing area. It took over 1 minute to get my helmet cleaned out so I could breath again, then had to relax a minute and catch my composure. Then was able so squirm around and clean a bigger area where I could move a little bit. I could now hear sleds so I knew my buddies were close. By the time they got to me I was basically getting out but needed a bit to shake it off. Not a fun experience and makes you think a lot. Basically keep calm and try to clean your airway, and also need to make sure the snow isn't compressing around your chest or it gets hard to breath. Neck is sure sore today.

Any one had these close calls?

Gezz Ron.
That sounds as bad as crossing a glacier.

longtrack 156

Reaction score
I went to go through a treewell and coming out the other side it was too steep, needless to say the sled came over backwards and the handlebars landed on my chest and I was pinned there until my buddy got the sled off!! (My 479lb, (advertised), Powder Special actually weighed 550lbs dry, 635lbs wet). So it felt heavy!!!

and those lite weight sleds are not lite when they are on top of you in the deep snow even if you laid on your back in the shop and had someone put it on your chest it would be very difficult to lift it

Top Bottom