2024 Arctic Cat Catalyst

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_4703.png
Not bad. Hitting 45 mph track speeds with rpm’s down 300. With proper clutching it will be in the 50’s.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Less weight will not get the track spinning faster.

It won't have to spin as fast. That's the point. Nobody is saying it's going to spank a turbo in a climb. It should be significantly better than the other NAs. The 800 Alpha already is better.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It won't have to spin as fast. That's the point. Nobody is saying it's going to spank a turbo in a climb. It should be significantly better than the other NAs. The 800 Alpha already is better.
Cat has alway laid more hp and torque in the snow(on the ground)then any other brands on the market. That has been a fact for many many years.
They do simply because of the relationship between the drive system and the suspension layout, Cat has mastered that.
Reality is they don't require as much hp from the engine to compete and when they equalize that engine HP, turbo or NA, them other two brands will be running behind and poaching Cat tracks, guaranteed.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 858 demo schedule is out. March 30th at Frisby for Revelstoke and April 6 at Allan creek for Valemount.
I went to the Alpha demo ride in Valemount back in 2018 and watched everyone just putt around on them, pull some easy lines up the hill, and really not ride the sleds to their potential at all.

I think I'll sign up for this year and go beat the piss out of a catalyst for half an hour. Be a good time. Wouldn't mind seeing what they're all about first hand even though I've lost all faith in cat as a company.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went to the Alpha demo ride in Valemount back in 2018 and watched everyone just putt around on them, pull some easy lines up the hill, and really not ride the sleds to their potential at all.

I think I'll sign up for this year and go beat the piss out of a catalyst for half an hour. Be a good time. Wouldn't mind seeing what they're all about first hand even though I've lost all faith in cat as a company.
Agreed its pretty hard to stick that kinda coin out with out atleast gettin some seat time hopefully there still some snow left lol

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 279006Not bad. Hitting 45 mph track speeds with rpm’s down 300. With proper clutching it will be in the 50’s.

There’s no way it’ll be in the 50s with proper clutching. You’re high! My G5 turbo is like 52mph in a steep and deep pull on a fresh line. The 858 will be 45tops. The video is hero snow and in a wheelie. Wishful thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There’s no way it’ll be in the 50s with proper clutching. You’re high! My G5 turbo is like 52mph in a steep and deep pull on a fresh line. The 858 will be 45tops. The video is hero snow and in a wheelie. Wishful thinking.

It’s already pulling 45. Rpm are low 2-300. Your G5 turbo is slow at 52 mph. Maybe get Benny to help you with clutching.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
45mph is respectable for any NA 800 class sled, even with 2-300rpms missing your not going to see a big jump in track speed unless the 858 has a very peaky torque curve, which I doubt. It takes a fair mount of HP and torque to gain 1mph.

The difference is the ability to maintain the track speed, which Cat does better then Doo or Poo.
Maybe a Doo or Poo can claim a higher initial track speed but both these sleds back shift badly in comparison and end up with slower settled track speeds, while the Cat will hold its up shift and initial track speed.
Cats power transfer to the track via track approach, large drivers and idlers, great weight transfer, superior tracks designs all contributing factors on why they use less HP to do the same as its competition.

52mph in steep and deep is normal for a 165-170hp Tsled, if it was NA it would be down in the 45mph like the Cat, but it won't hold that speed like the Cat will.

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
45mph is respectable for any NA 800 class sled, even with 2-300rpms missing your not going to see a big jump in track speed unless the 858 has a very peaky torque curve, which I doubt. It takes a fair mount of HP and torque to gain 1mph.

The difference is the ability to maintain the track speed, which Cat does better then Doo or Poo.
Maybe a Doo or Poo can claim a higher initial track speed but both these sleds back shift badly in comparison and end up with slower settled track speeds, while the Cat will hold its up shift and initial track speed.
Cats power transfer to the track via track approach, large drivers and idlers, great weight transfer, superior tracks designs all contributing factors on why they use less HP to do the same as its competition.

52mph in steep and deep is normal for a 165-170hp Tsled, if it was NA it would be down in the 45mph like the Cat, but it won't hold that speed like the Cat will.

Stock winder was 55ishmph. This 858 will be no where near a stock winder in terms of track speed. Na 800 in deep steep pull such as turbo hill will be lucky to hit 40-42mph.

Last edited:

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock winder was 55ishmph. This 858 will be no where near a stock winder in terms of track speed. Na 800 in deep steep pull such as turbo hill will be lucky to hit 40-42mpg.

With the price of fuel these days….
If it gets 40mpg…. I’m in…

Top Bottom