2023 Yamaha mountain

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was building one this is what I’ve been thinking. Find a 153 mtx , 165 alpha skid. Do the ascender plastics like lunchbox and have a 270 hp mountain max. All the parts are on Kijiji right now and could build for $13000 except the plastics. Would be a really fun sled.
Yup my train of thought for sure 👍

174mcx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, I think I've been up most of the common chutes with anything from a Apex, Nytro, Nypex, Viper, Vipex... still haven't run a winder up a chute, rode Randys a few times. Its really hard to say what climbs best though, so much depends on setup, suspension and horsepower. The biggest variable is still the rider but the ol Apex was probably the most predictable in my opinon for the climbing part, but the worst for everything else, except the sitting down riding! they where like sofas for that!

IMO if you don't want to climb real hard set it up for ski lift, I rode a 153" viper with a boost-it kit, stock track and suspension (was waiting on a 174) talk about fun!

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am unfamiliar with the tunnel coolers on the sidewinder 162 mtx. Could a person not just cut the tunnel shorter like they do on the Polaris. Then just install your 165 alpha skid. Would the alpha skid handle the 4 stroke torque?

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah you could do that. No coolers in the tunnel. I would say you would need some reinforcement on the alpha skid. Or go with a aftermarket rail.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are no tunnel cooler on the SW.
Though I think the idea of an Alpha single rail is an appealing idea, I not sure that it could handle the weight and torque the boosted 4stroke will deliver. In the Alpha they are not I would consider durable. Plenty out there busting them, way more then twin rails.
I think the single rail is best suited for a lighter package then a 4stroke with over 200hp. jmo

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was building one this is what I’ve been thinking. Find a 153 mtx , 165 alpha skid. Do the ascender plastics like lunchbox and have a 270 hp mountain max. All the parts are on Kijiji right now and could build for $13000 except the plastics. Would be a really fun sled.

I thought about doing the Alpha skid and had all the parts lined up but the track failures scared me out of it. Seems to be barely holding together on the Alpha how would it do with the torque of the Sidewinder.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are no tunnel cooler on the SW.
Though I think the idea of an Alpha single rail is an appealing idea, I not sure that it could handle the weight and torque the boosted 4stroke will deliver. In the Alpha they are not I would consider durable. Plenty out there busting them, way more then twin rails.
I think the single rail is best suited for a lighter package then a 4stroke with over 200hp. jmo

I know there are a few guys in the States running the Alpha rail on their Sidewinder and say it's amazing and way better. But after doing the elevate kit in the twin rail I'm not sure if it's needed. The elevate kit helped make the sled way more nimble.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4C717C7E-4F8B-431A-97AF-DC524AF2482E.jpeg

Impressive what you can build with a iPhone 🤔🤣

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are many things Yamaha could do and I hope one of them is not to integrate a Polaris chassis into their all ready a great platform. LOL
I have now taken out 2 A-arms on my Winder and if that would had been anything but the current chassis I would had needed a chopper to get out.
As much as the boys are liking their noodle sleds the fun ends quickly when its broken to a point the parts are just hanging.
There are refinements maybe even improved chassis but the last thing I would like to see is structural sacrifice for pleasure. If that's the case I just as well drop the 998 power plant into a Polaris chassis and see how long before it folds.

Personally I certainly would like to see a drive system change, getting the jackshaft and the entire current gear box out of the equation. This would be a huge improvement in simplicity and weight. A specifically designed Diamond drive would be my aim.
A belt drive is great but no reverse is like a huge step backwards for most.
The 998 is awesome but old school imo, Yamaha could drop the engine weight by nearly 40% by going full electronic. Removing the cam, cam chain and related gears and using solenoid activated valves. If any manufacture can do it Yamaha can.
The one question is to ask, how much are we willing to pay for a toy. BRP is out to lunch with the Doo t850.
There is no way in hell I would pay that type of coin for an also ran turbo but many don't seem to care, if its the newest and in their opinion the best, they will give their money away.

Last edited:

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yamaha has all the technology already in their street bikes, they just need to see the market return to invest it into the snowmobile industry and sadly its not there. The trail boys out east are more than happy and im sure thats where 90% of the Sidewinder sales went when the MTX was offered.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup ROI is key…reading the market and changing to adapt to the market. Clearly the Sidewinder mtx wasn’t as big a hit as they were hoping.

I guess Yamaha could of washed there hands clean of the mountain market but offering the Mountain Max gave thier dealers a product that is a easy sell.

Now with the Mountain Max in the lineup, offering a sidewinder mtx on spring orders shouldn’t really affect things that much. They definitely drove the price of them up.
Is there a market for a sidewinder mtx still? I think so

This is pretty interesting engine point that Jaret Smith discusses.

Last edited:

Kibbels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drop and roll on the 18's is nothing more then a sell's gimmick and doesn't make a sled any better.
Ever check the approach angle of a Summit G4, any model, well over 35deg, I think around 37.
The Polaris, most models 32-33deg.
Cat Proclimb, so 17 and older 23deg. Cat 18 and newer, including Alpha 18deg.
SW MTX 2017, 27deg.
2018 model with D/R 20deg.
My question is, do you think them Doo's and Poo's are less capable being they have insane approach angles, I mean such a steep angle is a sure recipe to getting you stuck right. according to some falling for Cat's BS.
Open your eyes and look around when your in the hill's. There is more to a sled then attack angles, its about the whole package and how it works together.

BTW, forgot to mention, maybe Cat is starting to realize the mistake in their chassis when aftermarket guys are building lift kits for their mountain sleds..LOL..so much for that D/R so called advantage.
I 💯 disagree with you… the drop and roll pops up and out quicker this is a fact not a gimmick

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DE5C53D7-ECF6-49C4-9844-0C3AACD10CEB.jpeg
So from being around and owning all brands of sleds. The Polaris pops out the best, but I believe the alpha is damn close.(I just didn’t own it long enough) Skidoo my least favourite. Kinda makes sense on the visual.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I 💯 disagree with you… the drop and roll pops up and out quicker this is a fact not a gimmick
Well that's good. Its not a matter of agreeing or not, its a matter of plain experience, I have both non dropped and oem dropped...ya you know my original 17 and a 19. Including a 17 non drop Cat and an 18.
Its like pipes makes a sled more powerful, maybe in your mind, it may sound like it does but factually it might not. Its the entire package.
30+yrs of building sleds, D&R is not a new concept or the golden bullet. if it was BRP would had stolen the idea already.
But hey, believe and do what ever.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 252355So from being around and owning all brands of sleds. The Polaris pops out the best, but I believe the alpha is damn close.(I just didn’t own it long enough) Skidoo my least favourite. Kinda makes sense on the visual.
Did you ever wonder why you have experienced what your saying???
Its the WHOLE PACKAGE not the D&R as some presume.
FYI, the Doo has about a 37deg, Pol sits around the 32deg, while the MM is at 18deg.

How do i know, worked on all three and took the time to measure them.
Also, for any given chassis there is an optimal angle, it's not black and white, or shallower the better LOL.

Last edited:

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you ever wonder why you have experienced what your saying???
Its the WHOLE PACKAGE not the D&R as some presume.
FYI, the Doo has about a 37deg, Pol sits around the 32deg, while the MM is at 18deg.

How do i know, worked on all three and took the time to measure them.
True true …I agree with that.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the 998 turbo engine….was it used for any other applications or specifically built for the snowmobile application?

Top Bottom