2023 Yamaha mountain

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey bud great on line chat, man do I remember them old days of modifying trail sleds.
I was probably one of the first to modify a brand NEW 1984 Phazer with the 116 track and stretch it to 121.
Then Yamaha came out with the 121 Phazer. I don't exactly remember the year but I think it was 85, before the Phazer II and I picked one up to stretch it to 136 using the skid from a trapper style sled. Neither sleds had tunnel extensions LOL, so much for OEM innovation, short tunnels and long tracks with no snow flaps is nothing new. Colored plastic padels were mesmerizing when the sled is in the air, hahaha. Glad real mountain tracks came around.
BTW, long live Yamaha's 4stroke. See you at elevation Randy.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was out at Eagles yesterday and even though there was 150+ sleds up there we saw only 6 in our travels as the masses all go to cabin and burn area and the snow turns into concrete or your searching for that patch.
Fortunately having a little know got us into 3-4ft of untouched pow all day long, the catch was you needed POWER to get there. Needless to say with a little work my 2 buddies with non turbo G4 and Khaos eventually got there but not without some trials. Well worth the wait and work.
But was out ripping up Grizzly a couple days ago and now the shoe was on the other foot, it wasn't with out its trials for the Winder, not so much once we busted out of the tree line. LOL

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
AD9304BD-D371-464C-833E-006744C9C689.png
B793B271-062D-4913-AB87-83E0FA33AB43.jpeg

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/en/snow/snowmobile/trail/2022-sidewinder-x-tx-se/2022-SW1NXSNL

This xtx would be the best candidate? Has the tunnel and steering system is based on the SR-M Mountain chassis complemented with a light weight mountain seat, tapered foot boards and Stealth controls, mountain spindles. Just need to narrow up the front end and rear skid and track.

I assume it’s the same chaincase as 2017 not rolled.

Probably wouldn’t even need a longer tunnel since everyone is chopping them off.

Hmmmm I like projects😉

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 252012View attachment 252013

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/en/snow/snowmobile/trail/2022-sidewinder-x-tx-se/2022-SW1NXSNL

This xtx would be the best candidate? Has the tunnel and steering system is based on the SR-M Mountain chassis complemented with a light weight mountain seat, tapered foot boards and Stealth controls, mountain spindles. Just need to narrow up the front end and rear skid and track.

I assume it’s the same chaincase as 2017 not rolled.

Probably wouldn’t even need a longer tunnel since everyone is chopping them off.

Hmmmm I like projects😉
I looked into this, the rear skid mounts are different than the mountian sleds. Ya and no drop and roll.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked into this, the rear skid mounts are different than the mountian sleds. Ya and no drop and roll.
I was actually just looking at that mount on the side. Looked different.

What about longer iceage rails with existing skid? Might need a QSL shock or kiss coupler maybe 🤔

Last edited:

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The used sidewinder market is on fire…even the vipers are crazy in price. I guess that’s what Yamaha wanted but to me it seems like the demand for the sidewinder mtx is still there. I suspect they will bring it back as a snow check.

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best kept secret out there haha, not that we are trying to keep it secret its just that nobody wants to listen to us. I really wish they kept going with that new motor, I did a 153 tunnel on my mtx this year, a 146 might be a bit short lol but I would still do it. I have a 17 and don't have the drop and roll and its not a deal breaker for me. Slap on a C3 belt drive, lightweight battery/seat, some old clutches, tune/exhaust/intake, narrow it up and good to go. Most bad ass machine on the mountain

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best kept secret out there haha, not that we are trying to keep it secret its just that nobody wants to listen to us. I really wish they kept going with that new motor, I did a 153 tunnel on my mtx this year, a 146 might be a bit short lol but I would still do it. I have a 17 and don't have the drop and roll and its not a deal breaker for me. Slap on a C3 belt drive, lightweight battery/seat, some old clutches, tune/exhaust/intake, narrow it up and good to go. Most bad ass machine on the mountain
Yeah you did a spectacular job. Pretty awesome build. I wonder if the 153 /146 is actually the same tunnel extension. Looks like it might be.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drop and roll on the 18's is nothing more then a sell's gimmick and doesn't make a sled any better.
Ever check the approach angle of a Summit G4, any model, well over 35deg, I think around 37.
The Polaris, most models 32-33deg.
Cat Proclimb, so 17 and older 23deg. Cat 18 and newer, including Alpha 18deg.
SW MTX 2017, 27deg.
2018 model with D/R 20deg.
My question is, do you think them Doo's and Poo's are less capable being they have insane approach angles, I mean such a steep angle is a sure recipe to getting you stuck right. according to some falling for Cat's BS.
Open your eyes and look around when your in the hill's. There is more to a sled then attack angles, its about the whole package and how it works together.

BTW, forgot to mention, maybe Cat is starting to realize the mistake in their chassis when aftermarket guys are building lift kits for their mountain sleds..LOL..so much for that D/R so called advantage.

Last edited:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was actually just looking at that mount on the side. Looked different.

What about longer iceage rails with existing skid? Might need a QSL shock or kiss coupler maybe 🤔
If I was building I would put a k-mod under it. They have so much adjustability.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drop and roll on the 18's is nothing more then a sell's gimmick and doesn't make a sled any better.
Ever check the approach angle of a Summit G4, any model, well over 35deg, I think around 37.
SW MTX 2017, 27deg.
My question is, do you think them Doo's and Poo's are less capable being they have insane approach angles, I mean such a steep angle is a sure recipe to getting you stuck right. according to some falling for Cat's BS.
Open your eyes and look around when your in the hill's. There is more to a sled then attack angles, its about the whole package and how it works together.

BTW, forgot to mention, maybe Cat is starting to realize the mistake in their chassis when aftermarket guys are building lift kits for their mountain sleds..LOL..so much for that D/R so called advantage.
I agree about the drop and roll, one advantage with no drop and roll is the drive axle is better protected.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SW MTX 2017, 27deg.

Unlikely but a chassis revamp would be nice this year for cat.

The video of the 2022 snowmobile weights the mountain max was substantially heavier than the pro. I would assume motors are probably close to the same (850 patriot & 800 ctec)so if they lightened up the chassis the sidewinder would be lighter also. Be cool to see.

Last edited:

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah you did a spectacular job. Pretty awesome build. I wonder if the 153 /146 is actually the same tunnel extension. Looks like it might be.
Thanks man, I love the sled. The part numbers look different but a guy could buy a 153 tunnel cap from a btx and slap it on, they are less than $200 I believe. Really would love to see a revamped mtx sidewinder, the market is small out west but huge in the east so if they did a chassis revamp I guess there's a chance it comes over to the mountain platform too. It really wasn't that hard to get mine to 600lbs wet (50lbs weight loss) and at 600lbs it really doesn't feel heavy when your riding it to me.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure miss my Boost-it Viper. Love my TDoo for 90% of my riding, but I see my self picking up a good used Winder in the coming years.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s because of guys like Randy the Yami’s are so popular. I still have an ad from a sled mag, a quote from Randy. It’s an MCX ad. Something along the lines of my MCX takes me to the moon! I’ll have to find it. Just Awesome!

Top Bottom