2023 Yamaha mountain

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not understanding how more power would affect the monorail. The power doesn't go through the rail at all, it is simply suspension....?
Absolutely it does, suspension is key to power delivery and transfer. Power needs to be matched to suspension for proper composure. Without that it is just an unmanageable snowblower.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s my plan. Wait and see
Hold out and see.
If nothing, build your own, you have the skill and know how to doit.
In any case your custom builds are superior to anything any of the factory will ever offer.
It is impossible to have a sled master all terrain, every sled has weaknesses no matter the model or brand.
The idea in custom builds is you build for YOU and your style, no matter what the asswhipes say, if it fits your style it is the best for you. Minion's will always fallow trends and popular in season models and throw in their theoretical opinions. The difference is you have build history and your know how goes beyond just internet theories with out fallowing trends like you see by most.
Like me anything new from Yamaha or any brand I pickup for my personal ride would get torn apart and refitted for my style, your the same, you won't be happy without your custom style put into it.

Most everyone on S&M believe and think my ride is a SW, about the only thing Yamaha on my sled is the engine, the majority is CR. Yamaha would have to come out with something pretty out there before I would start a new build. Did the same in 2010, yes it started as a Nytro but it took more then a Viper to move from my 2010 custom CR build. JMO
yup that’s my plan….nothing new I’ll pickup a low mile stock sw and go from there. The build it’s almost better than riding them. Lol.

What’s your thoughts on the elevated spindles? The build will be more towards tree running than a climber.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah that’s my plan. Wait and see

yup that’s my plan….nothing new I’ll pickup a low mile stock sw and go from there. The build it’s almost better than riding them. Lol.

What’s your thoughts on the elevated spindles? The build will be more towards tree running than a climber.
I have played with it a fair bit in getting it proper for the SW, I'm running one in mine and we are still dicking with it. Its not what they claim for a SW, imo the R&D is poor for the SW.
In a lighter 2stroke like it was originally intended to be used it work's very well, not so on a Winder, though some will claim it does, they just don't understand the problem it brings and its more of they think it does.

Here lies the biggest issue, increased steering effort and poorly controlled weight transfer causing bad wheelies and poor track contact on climbs.
In a PROPERLY setup mountain configuration there should be only 2 points of contacts, ski spindle and skid center spring. This allows for easy maneuverability and steering. The rear of the skid should have little to no down force or contact.
The elevate spindles changes that by raising the front by 2" relaxing the center spring contact and increasing the rear axle contact pressure. This alone increases steering effort and weight transfer, yes the sled becomes what some would say more flickable LOL, because you have raised the center of gravity but there is a payment too it in general handling.
I have been working on a compromise or solution to this that requires more then what Iceage says.
It is important to retain the 2 points of contact (center spring and ski spindle) for proper handling and weight transfer. And there should be very little rear skid(axle) down pressure once set up.
Good luck if you go that rout but for the $$ ??
JMO

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking you probably need the spindles and elevated rails for it to work properly otherwise like you say it’s lifting the front skid causing more ski pressure. Not sure the gain is there being higher tho. Seems like the guys that have done both said it made a big difference.

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking you probably need the spindles and elevated rails for it to work properly otherwise like you say it’s lifting the front skid causing more ski pressure. Not sure the gain is there being higher tho. Seems like the guys that have done both said it made a big difference.
I just did the spindles, the steering is much lighter, opposite of what you guys are saying, it handles like crap now on the trail up and down because the front end is so light but in the alpine it’s worth it. I have to play with some settings, I just bolted the spindles on and went so I’m sure there’s some fine tuning yet.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
F0A37FD3-2D51-4543-B479-987E53AB5FD5.jpeg

I have my alpha set up similar to what Lund is talking about. The rear has very little track pressure. I am very happy with the handling and the extra clearance is very noticeable.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 252694
I have my alpha set up similar to what Lund is talking about. The rear has very little track pressure. I am very happy with the handling and the extra clearance is very noticeable.
So really there’s no point in getting the rails cause the alpha rail height would essentially be the same and twin rails.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So really there’s no point in getting the rails cause the alpha rail height would essentially be the same and twin rails.
Alpha rail and use all the lower skid holes and raise the front will give you what your looking for. IMO. But I’m just a minion I don’t know much.

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also if you end up getting a 2017 without the drop and roll you can’t drop your front skid bolt anymore than the lower bolt hole on an 18 and up you can

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have both, rails and spindles.
I'm currently working with a modified front control skid arm, I lengthen it. It has been in the sled for about 1500kms now. Been working with shocks to get it to work to my satisfaction, saw great improvements but there is room for more.
I have ordered another front skid control arm and will make the needed changes and run it and see.
I don't have it yet.
In comparison to the install as per Iceage and ride, we have improve the entire sled, immensely.
If more then 2/3 of your track contacts the ground when its in your shop, its wrong. You should be able to see air from under your lugs, almost a 1/3 back.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most people do not tune their suspension, they are gung-ho about pipes, cans and clutches but have no clue about their suspension.
If anything, atleast setup the suspension for your weight, the center spring on all OEM sleds are for 175-200lb riders, meaning if you don't, your leaving alot on the table in ride, handling and performance.
This is what it all boils down too in the rear skid setup, you can buy and bolt on the goodies, call it a day and be happy or learn to set it up properly.

Kinda like SW clutches, it amazes me how many we have fixed from dudes using power up and kits not knowing what they were doing. Where people get these ideas beats me. S&M I guess, LOL

Last edited:

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have both, rails and spindles.
I'm currently working with a modified front control skid arm, I lengthen it. It has been in the sled for about 1500kms now. Been working with shocks to get it to work to my satisfaction, saw great improvements but there is room for more.
I have ordered another front skid control arm and will make the needed changes and run it and see.
I don't have it yet.
In comparison to the install as per Iceage and ride, we have improve the entire sled, immensely.
If more then 2/3 of your track contacts the ground when its in your shop, its wrong. You should be able to see air from under your lugs, almost a 1/3 back.
A3A677DA-72FA-4975-B668-D20C97B61754.jpeg

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally didn’t like this set up. I much prefer the first pic I posted. Each minion to their own.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally didn’t like this set up. I much prefer the first pic I posted. Each minion to their own.
Curiousity, why would you post about a 2stroke set up when this is aimed at a 4stroke sled.
Your correct though, you would not set up a lighter 2stroke that way.
Try not to mix the two up, they are different and most 2stroke guys fail at setting up a much heavier 4stroke, from clutching to suspension.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curiousity, why would you post about a 2stroke set up when this is aimed at a 4stroke sled.
Try not to mix the two up, they are different and most 2stroke guys fail at setting up a much heavier 4stroke, from clutching to suspension.
The question was posed how to setup a alpha skid with a raised front end. I offered up some scenarios without belittling anyone. I am not a outlier like you so I won’t understand anything about sled suspension's. Carry on with the 2023 sled conversation I will go hang out with my fart blaster and Grue.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
0B90BC7E-804F-4576-B0F0-2B6022DB9DF5.jpeg
850EE3E2-B52A-47A1-8372-50F73E8F3ED3.jpeg
All discussions appreciated….always like learning different perspectives. The cat picture looks pretty flat from me. Bit of a slope towards the front.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ll tell you a little story, in 2003 I showed up to hill with my vertical escape. Every 2 weekends I would ride with Baker. We were very competitive that year. He had his rev and I had poo. This weekend I had made very significant change to my sled. The 2003 rev was a short track but had very unique rear skid. My dad had built a long track rev along with baker and threw out the stock skid. The stock skid was very similar to a m10 with the skid stops. I cut up the stock rails and bolted them to my polaris rails. That was the lightbulb moment for Darryl to build his new skid. So when you come on here and call us a bunch of brainless minions there are some of us on here that have been around and done some neat things too. Carry on mr size 13 boots.

Top Bottom