2023 Yamaha mountain

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m definitely going back to a sidewinder. Unless by some miracle they change the chassis then I may be tempted to snow check new ….which I never do. Done it twice. I’ve bought new in-season models.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
9F2FB598-B3F9-4282-997B-A82D3CBE3350.jpeg
C7721BB7-E6FE-4CBD-972F-336306D411A1.jpeg
327F7D8C-45BB-487D-B27F-BFFB4C07BD57.jpeg

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a blast with the demos …I bought my sidewinder that spring after the demo I was on. Helped Jamie with 2 others the following year.

Who do we need to email at Yamaha to voice our opinion?

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great vlog Randy, you always shown true passion for the mountain segment and have been a great ambassador for the snowmobile industry. The young guys lucky enough to ride and learn from your expertise in the mountains is something that will keep the mountain segment alive and well for many years to come! Safe sledding !

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking why I keep getting drawn back to riding a Yamaha. I grew up on a snojet sst 440. Then Dad bought a new Yamaha enticer340. Man we drove that sled till the skis had Saskatchewan stubble coming through the center of them. Lol.

1995 vmax 600 was my first sled I bought myself. 2005/06 season bought a apex with mcx. Something about the 4 stroke that’s addictive….That sound and acceleration….riding something different then the masses. I think I really enjoy a challenge…riding a 4 stroke in the tight trees is different and not as forgiving but it’s a blast.

In between the Yamaha’s… I tried Polaris, skidoo and cat over the years, but always end up coming back to Yamaha.
I’ve never had a engine issue with a boosted 4 strokes. When I was riding the 2 strokes hard I always had that doubt they may not hold together. lol. Some sometimes that feeling was correct. Never had that feeling riding a 4 stroke….even with this viper at 9000kms..

I do think the yamaha Arctic cat partnership has been good for yamaha. The handling of the viper and sidewinder is great imo. It would be nice to see a updated chassis built specifically for the 998 Genesis engine. I’m guessing it wouldn’t be that hard to lose some weight with refinements.

Anyway hopefully they bring back the mtx back.

Last edited:

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went from my 2007 M1000 to the Sidewinder after years out of the sport. But after watching all the Thunderstruck and Boost movies I wanted a turbo Yami.

Probably pick up a Mountain Max as a second sled for bad snow days / backup sled / wife sled. But can't see getting rid of the Sidewinder for those deep days.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bleed blue also, bought my first Yamaha in1984, couple Phazers and Exciters, rode Yamaha's through out the 80's. Lots of custom work but when it came to the mountains they stood out. There was a lot of first on Yamaha's where sleds had never been. Some of the chassis of the time were a little weak in comparison but the engine, clutches were in most cases solid.
Then I did step away from Yamaha in the mid 90's and got hooked on the big Cats, I actually had good success with A/C and today have one that the wife uses or I use in low snow(hard pack) spring conditions.
It wasn't till the 2000 that I got persuaded to move to the BRP product, I still had my 900 Cat till 2004 but ended up selling it and rode Ski-Doo from 2000-2010. That was a mistake, most expensive 10yrs for me and a lot of time spent in the shop or dealer and worst at the end of a rope.
Thus why in 2010 went back to Yamaha with my first 4stroke boost and never looked back, just ride.
BTW, I do custom build my Yamaha's, I can because they are that reliable, I can't afford replacing my sled every season or two.

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Out of the box the sidewinder is good but throw a bit of money at it and its great. I'd love to let some of these guys try mine out, might change a few minds or at least give them a big smile. Lots of hate on the arctic cat chassis in the winder from Yamaha guys but its the best handling Yamaha mountain sled ever, its not even close. I will deal with the cheap AC crap as it comes because there just isn't another sled in the same category right now. Hope Yamaha comes back with the 998 in the mountain segment but not holding my breath. The only thing that makes me think there's a shot is the sidewinder is dominant out east so they will likely keep the 4 stroke market going.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What I find very interesting is …look at Polaris…you can customize pretty my anything on that sled. Build to suit the rider, length, shocks, Color’s, accessories, motor all in the same chassis.

How hard would it be to build mtx on order. Give me the parts I’ll build them for Yamaha on a custom order. It’s not like anything is that drastically different from the current model to model.

What if Yamaha stepped outside of the box and customized the cat chassis to what they want. Actually put some effort into making it their own. People would go ballistic about it.

Copy paste and trying to convince people it’s a all new Yamaha product called the mountain max. Hmmm did you actually put much thought into that? Maybe the pandemic had a big part of why they did that but I find it irritating and won’t be apart of that.

I would definitely buy a used mountain max for the right price for my kids to use, but not new. …and really only because it’s blue.

Bring out those unicorns again….first mountain sled with 141 track…main stream turbocharged 4 strokes, the vmax 4 , the phazer ……show some passion for the snowmobile industry Yamaha…get fired up to be one of the leaders we all know you can be.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The NyPex IMO are still the best chute climbers. Though a Vipex is pretty insane too.
Are you planning on building a climbing machine?

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The NyPex IMO are still the best chute climbers. Though a Vipex is pretty insane too.
Are you planning on building a climbing machine?
Not sure yet…see what the future brings with Yamaha ….Definitely going to build something for next season.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I have very little interest in pulling big chutes the SW is still the only one I will ride in the steep and deep, it puts a smile on my face like no other.
Admittedly when its not so "deep" I might take the 2smoke out for the day but I live for the "steep and deep" the rest is just an outing.

Turblue

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m probably leaning to a lightweight more manoeuvrable style. I’m like you, not so much into the chutes anymore. I’ve been thinking of incorporating something like this for the tunnel. Taper shorter style.

I’m guessing Chad could make a kit🤔
Probably sell a pile of them.

I have lots i ideas floating around to make it a one of, but if there’s a new chassis I probably will go that direction.

F886D10F-8495-4575-A379-4CC39CFAD23C.jpeg
F886D10F-8495-4575-A379-4CC39CFAD23C.jpeg

Last edited:

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was building one this is what I’ve been thinking. Find a 153 mtx , 165 alpha skid. Do the ascender plastics like lunchbox and have a 270 hp mountain max. All the parts are on Kijiji right now and could build for $13000 except the plastics. Would be a really fun sled.

Top Bottom