2021 Skidoo 850 turbo reviews

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, yes, that`s what I am saying in BC we ride from 3000 to 7000 feet, but stock clutching is for 3,000 to 10,000 feet. adding pivot weight is a way to bring down Rpms. but it does not load the engine until 6000 Rpms. to revvy below 5000rmps, all revs and no go. loading engine and turbo where the turbo can make boost is where you can gain over stock clutching that was made for the high mountains in the USA.
it has been confirmed by some ski doo ambassadors that monitor boost and shaft speed that loading the engine produced 1/2 pound more boost, in lower RPMS some of you might have noticed that when you hit 8000 Rpms it`s hitting around 50klms and it`s like you hit a wall and that`s all there is.
Some will notice it and most will not. All i will say is clutching that is good up til for 10000 feet , needs some changing to run a it`s full potential at 3000 to 7000 feet.
So if anyone thinks they can run the same clutching at 10,000 feet as you can at 6000 feet is fooling themselves. most do not and will never know the difference.
they are a great sled and everyone that has one will be happy, it`s just the people that know there is more in this sled that will clutch, and gear and tune to get the most out of it.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, yes, that`s what I am saying in BC we ride from 3000 to 7000 feet, but stock clutching is for 3,000 to 10,000 feet. adding pivot weight is a way to bring down Rpms. but it does not load the engine until 6000 Rpms. to revvy below 5000rmps, all revs and no go. loading engine and turbo where the turbo can make boost is where you can gain over stock clutching that was made for the high mountains in the USA.
it has been confirmed by some ski doo ambassadors that monitor boost and shaft speed that loading the engine produced 1/2 pound more boost, in lower RPMS some of you might have noticed that when you hit 8000 Rpms it`s hitting around 50klms and it`s like you hit a wall and that`s all there is.
Some will notice it and most will not. All i will say is clutching that is good up til for 10000 feet , needs some changing to run a it`s full potential at 3000 to 7000 feet.
So if anyone thinks they can run the same clutching at 10,000 feet as you can at 6000 feet is fooling themselves. most do not and will never know the difference.
they are a great sled and everyone that has one will be happy, it`s just the people that know there is more in this sled that will clutch, and gear and tune to get the most out of it.

you didn't answer the question?

what gearing did you run, what helix, what track length to obtain better clutching/speed.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 165 track, i will not give out what i run, that is for me, for the time i spent and the money i spent trying different combos.and all the time spent researching.

after all many experts on here that say just add pivot bolt weight.
after all talk is just talk, the proof is in the pudding. once you ride a good clutched 850T you will know and feel the difference. (overall driveability)
i have done a close friends 850T just clutching for now, and he said WOW what a difference, really pulls and loves the low engagement. said he saw 3mph gain in track speed, that was with still 93% break in. like I said talk is just talk. proof is in the pudding.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 165 track, i will not give out what i run, that is for me, for the time i spent and the money i spent trying different combos.and all the time spent researching.

after all talk is just talk, the proof is in the pudding. once you ride a good clutched 850T you will know and feel the difference. (overall driveability)
i have done a close friends 850T just clutching for now, and he said WOW what a difference, really pulls and loves the low engagement. said he saw 3mph gain in track speed, that was with still 93% break in. like I said talk is just talk. proof is in the pudding.

Well you did spill the beans on your setup months ago.

Care to show up to valemount next year with the Altitudepowersports crew?

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
changed since then, that`s what testing is all about, yes hope top make it to valemount next year.

o zone guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha im the best just dont ask me about it
o wise one .. R u inn your HyPeRBaric oXyGeN NucLeaR inFuSEd THeaReaPY CHaMBeR inCReaSing youR BRaiN ceLL CaPaciTY ... Is this whY u r unavailable for commeT... NeiL ARMsTronG wouLD be ProuD... LMAO !!! K- poW... K- poW.... PoW !!poW !! PoW !! ... HoTSaucE !!! LoL ... beeP !! beeP !!! OK bacK ta the shoW... wooT !! wooT !!!

Last edited:

mareshow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode mine 850T 165 this weekend at about 7500 ft, I found the clutching to be quite good, with the exception of a little turbo lag mid range if youre riding it right where the turbo spools. Its small enough that most won't notice it. I was running 8000 rpm all weekend, stock clutching. I'm not going to mess with it till I'm riding in some deeper snow. I definitely agree with 1709 though I think some tweaking for BC riding is necessary. I finished off the weekend at 60% break in, again I'm thinking better not mess with it till the Break in is done and we're riding deeper snow. Thats just me though

Shortline

Reaction score

I can respect the time and money spent researching.
I only started sledding about 4 years ago so my knowledge is on the lower end of the scale. I would have no problem spending the money to do my own research (within reason, like most people I'm not made of money). However, there's two issues with that for me.
First, I probably wouldn't know a winning setup if I stumbled on to it. Much like when I started dirt biking many many years ago. I didn't know what a good suspension was until I got on a buddies bike that was dialed in. He happened to be of similar weight and riding style and wow, what a difference! Then having knowledge of what a good suspension felt like it was only a matter of time until I dialed in my own.
Second is time. Time has a way of getting filled up with work, family etc. I think most of us probably have that problem.
That leaves me with the route I've been taking in the past.... asking questions, but ultimately relying on the aftermarket to figure it out for me.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand what you are saying, phone an aftermarket shop and ask them what helix they put in their clutch kits, and see what they tell you. they spent time and money testing different helix`s and springs and ramps. they will not tell what helix they run, most times not even what springs they run. and that is fair,
all i am saying is there is some left on the table for some clutching and gearing improvements on the 850T when running 3000 to 7000 feet.
since when has Arctic cat or Polaris or Ski Doo come out with perfect clutching from the factory ? close but always room for improvement.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can some expert on here tell this guy all you have to do is add pivot bolt weight. A post from FB.

SkiDoo 850 & 850 Turbo Owners Exchange

36m ·

BIG shoutout to MDS Clutching LLC
. Went and met Steve in person at his shop yesterday morning and picked up 5 kits that he set up for us. Got them installed last night and out in some deep stuff today and we were all blown away. 8100rpm on click 3, low engagement which made low speed maneuvering a cake walk. Solved all of our gripes with the stock setup and had lower belt temps too.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think what I've seen over the years is someone like Joey will come up with a hot set up like he always does after extensive testing and then other people will copy it with maybe a small change and call it there own. When i had my dealership I always tried to improve the product so that my guys ran better than the dealer down the roads guys. Thats how I gained marketshare at my store. Back in the day you had to do your own calibration because there were no Joey's, Big John's or Dragonwelds doing it for you.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think what I've seen over the years is someone like Joey will come up with a hot set up like he always does after extensive testing and then other people will copy it with maybe a small change and call it there own. When i had my dealership I always tried to improve the product so that my guys ran better than the dealer down the roads guys. Thats how I gained marketshare at my store. Back in the day you had to do your own calibration because there were no Joey's, Big John's or Dragonwelds doing it for you.

there are different ways to clutch a sled, now rule of thumb and has been for years is the primary clutch is used to load the engine, the secondary is used for up-shift and back-shift. Joey uses the stock ramps and changes the helix to load the engine, where Big John and others change the ramps to load the engine, two different ways to clutch a sled. not saying one is right and one is wrong, for myself I would rather load the engine with the primary clutch.
that`s why so many aftermarket companies make ramps, SLP, Boondocker, Big John, Dalton, and so on, changing the characteristics of how the sled performs. and of course many different helix`s to fine tune your up-shift and back-shift.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder how many understand how the pdrive flyweights are designed?

Not that many cause 85% of pdrive aftermarket flyweight makers get rid of the clickers.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can some expert on here tell this guy all you have to do is add pivot bolt weight. A post from FB.

SkiDoo 850 & 850 Turbo Owners Exchange

36m ·

BIG shoutout to MDS Clutching LLC
. Went and met Steve in person at his shop yesterday morning and picked up 5 kits that he set up for us. Got them installed last night and out in some deep stuff today and we were all blown away. 8100rpm on click 3, low engagement which made low speed maneuvering a cake walk. Solved all of our gripes with the stock setup and had lower belt temps too.

Did you lay the stock ramp against Steve’s ? I put his in last yr. I like that he keeps the clicker adjustment Mid range is hard on the arms
I was doing some playing today making a uhmw puck like big john has to open clutch so it’s easier to pull ramp out. - I need to add a washer to tip. 8100 and I’m on clk1 and I want it easier to change them out for out west elevation
f99498e4e449a4f6484d82105db04ded.jpg

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have changed weights /ramps / and rollers on the new 850 while clutch is still on motor
no special tools either
with that being said i have ordered a couple tools from the hot rod sled shop to make it easier

Top Bottom