2021 Skidoo 850 turbo reviews

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where are all you guys that are buying Joeys kit getting it installed? And are you waiting for break in to be completed first?
Not waiting for break in , ordered directly from him, installing myself, not hard to install, if you have trouble i understand he has great installation video's

turboetech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All you need is heavier/longer bolt and a couple shims easy as setting your clicker up remove bolt and get longer one......put that kit in now you spent the money don’t need to wait for break in drop the sled at specialty in the grove rob will install easy...need a few clutch tools is all and some wrench pulling ability....cheers

Summitizer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to solve your problem talk to ken moutain magic he has a clutch set up for the t850 that really wakes the sled up.
Ya like I’m going to go crazy just to solve some over revving issue. The next thing I’m going to hear is how the clutches are junk on these sleds. REALLY guys....it can be a simple fix.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Barry, I have Joeys kit that I will install after break-in. Ken does great work and is very knowledgeable but his set up is quite costly and most likely involves changing the clutches that's a bit rich for me. Already dished out enough for a sled not much left in the wallet. I'm going to put my faith in Joeys kit here as its basically under $450, and a few hours to install, and is getting great reviews.
Rob at specialty will be doing mine. I rode this weekend on hard deck. Over rev was way more noticeable when not in deep like my last trip. After you posted having a kit coming I decided to oreder one also. Joeys fast. Came in less than a week.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We rode with 4 new Turbos this weekend. (1) 154 (2) 165, and (1) 175. None of them were over-reving. Makes a guy wonder if some of the sleds are coming out with more power than others? Are guys that are over-reving checking the clicker position? Am i correct in thinking if they are all clutched the same from the factory, then the only way to over rev is more power? Seems odd that some do it and some don't.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did you ride all of them ? what do you call over-reving? elevation, snow conditions,Ect, play a big part in over-reving.

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did not ride all of them. We rode by Keystone, not exactly sure of the elevation. All of the sleds were pulling around 7900-8100. From what i have read there are sleds over-reving, and popping. What i observed, none of the ones in this group experienced any issues. Riding in about a 1ft of fresh snow, traction was great.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did not ride all of them. We rode by Keystone, not exactly sure of the elevation. All of the sleds were pulling around 7900-8100. From what i have read there are sleds over-reving, and popping. What i observed, none of the ones in this group experienced any issues. Riding in about a 1ft of fresh snow, traction was great.

same experience here. Ive rode with about 25 of them now in all different length configurations and all different snow conditions., no over rev. Have heard a few pops after WOT for long durations with a quick throttle chop. But not after breakin was complete.

my take is the same as yours, these machines are all identical. if your over reving i guess you got a good one! throw some spacers on and enjoy.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
same experience here. Ive rode with about 25 of them now in all different length configurations and all different snow conditions., no over rev. Have heard a few pops after WOT for long durations with a quick throttle chop. But not after breakin was complete.

my take is the same as yours, these machines are all identical. if your over reving i guess you got a good one! throw some spacers on and enjoy.

My 850 T is a free ride 165. When I first open the throttle I had over rev 8200 RPM spike and Settles in to 8050- 8100. I grabbed a couple washers today I will throw them in and try them this weekend. I want to get a running perfect stock then I will put in my Joeys back shift kit and see if this clutch kit is better

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 850 T is a free ride 165. When I first open the throttle I had over rev 8200 RPM spike and Settles in to 8050- 8100. I grabbed a couple washers today I will throw them in and try them this weekend. I want to get a running perfect stock then I will put in my Joeys back shift kit and see if this clutch kit is better

yep good idea. I always say get a feel for the machine in stock form before throwing parts at it. Then you will know what you have gained or lost.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its the Flash RPM at the start of the shift that Im wondering about. Not having max rpm kinda sucks, the main tach will not show this flash rpm.
So is it a rev limit, or a rate of rpm increase? cause the flyweight is too light, it possible that guys that are too aggressive cycling the throttle are having this issue.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
over rev here. 175 track length 0 break in left

8200-over rev.

was at keystone on Saturday, dropped to the bottom of the valley at the shovel out. coming out of that it hit many times.

elevation shouldn't really be a factor in the way this turbo is desgned

going to go with the mid price route with 984 ramps and 38mm pivots.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is elevation is a factor, the stock clutching is from 3,000 feet to 10,000 feet, now after 8000 feet the sled does not make 165 HP anymore, but the clutching still has to rev 7900-8000 Rpms.
after changing my clutching i have lower engagement (which i love) faster build up of track speed and a lot more track speed. lower belt temps, better all around driveability, with the low end revvyness gone,
now it pulls hard from engagement to 8,000RPMS. stock clutching track speed was around 80Klms, now with gear change and clutching change, helix change, track speed has gone up considerable.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
very few people ride above 8000ft. Golden is one of the 'higher' riding areas that i know of and we rarely see 8000ft. Doesn't make sense to plan for a condition you will only see 1 time a season.

whats the gearing change too? what track length for reference

Top Bottom