2021 Polaris

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My comparison was only for the axys but you're 100% right, huge change from a 15FR to a 20FR or expert, I'd still like to try out a newer FR for more then 10 mins... I rode a 19 FR start of the season for only a few mins, not enough time to get a real opinion and the sled had 3" risers for a short guy, didn't like that too much. I'm trying my best not to be brand loyal as i always been and keep my options open. Figure if i jump on a new FR it would be game over and wouldn't try another machine.

u probably already sent enough cash east without buying a doo! Lol

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind you have a freeride with a much wider stance, last gen chassis and a much stiffer suspension calibration. It will forsure feel way less nimble and require more effort than a new 36” axys. Compare it to a new expert and suddenly the new axys is not more nimble at all. The expert chassis is like a hot knife through butter. The axys It’s quite unpredictable and feels underpowered like you said. The chassis is not linear in its side to side movements. In stock form anyways. The bottom end is nothing like a skidoo 800 or 850 they have some homework to do there. It’s a lighter machine which makes up for its poor engine and clutching performance. If they could get a direct injection engine, proper clutching and a forward post, it would be winner with how light it is
Oh!?

The expert is a totally different chassis you say?

Could have sworn it was the same chassis as a regular SP with a circumsised tunnel, a short seat and a half baked suspension.

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh!?

Could have sworn it was the same chassis as a regular SP with a circumsised tunnel, a short seat and a half baked suspension.

pretty sure he was comparing my xm to the new expert...

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind you have a freeride with a much wider stance, last gen chassis and a much stiffer suspension calibration. It will forsure feel way less nimble and require more effort than a new 36” axys. Compare it to a new expert and suddenly the new axys is not more nimble at all. The expert chassis is like a hot knife through butter. The axys It’s quite unpredictable and feels underpowered like you said. The chassis is not linear in its side to side movements. In stock form anyways. The bottom end is nothing like a skidoo 800 or 850 they have some homework to do there. It’s a lighter machine which makes up for its poor engine and clutching performance. If they could get a direct injection engine, proper clutching and a forward post, it would be winner with how light it is

Actually the stock clutching of the AXYS 850 is pretty good on top, but the bottom end is a bit soft after riding a G4. The G4's are exact opposite, pulls like a freight train and then hits a wall. Stock to stock the AXYS will spank the G4 in a race or top speed, however this is not the goal in the mountains so it is not very important. Incidentally the old 800 HO from Polaris was also similar to the G4's characteristics, hit hard on the bottom and then hit a wall.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually the stock clutching of the AXYS 850 is pretty good on top, but the bottom end is a bit soft after riding a G4. The G4's are exact opposite, pulls like a freight train and then hits a wall. Stock to stock the AXYS will spank the G4 in a race or top speed, however this is not the goal in the mountains so it is not very important. Incidentally the old 800 HO from Polaris was also similar to the G4's characteristics, hit hard on the bottom and then hit a wall.

Guess you can’t have it all, or can you....

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh!?

Yes The expert is a different chassis over the 15FR.

The 2020 Sp and expert are not on the same playing field, lots of things done to the expert that sets it further apart from the SP.

But.... this is a polaris thread about the 2021, I was hoping polaris would bring something out that would challenge the doo but They did not. Only NA polaris I see at the moment challenging the doo is owned by Altitude powersports, Only polaris so far that Ive actually enjoyed riding.

powpowpowpow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They brought a 3.5 track, with a different paddle design and finally geared them down a bit. Save 5lbs so looking at a 45lbs difference from doo(turbo another 22lbs), 55lbs over cat...yeah polaris is still behind..lmao

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They brought a 3.5 track, with a different paddle design and finally geared them down a bit. Save 5lbs so looking at a 45lbs difference from doo(turbo another 22lbs), 55lbs over cat...yeah polaris is still behind..lmao

The weight doesn’t translate to the snow in this case. Lighter Polaris will not touch a turbo doo at altitude.

powder dreams

Reaction score
The weight doesn’t translate to the snow in this case. Lighter Polaris will not touch a turbo doo at altitude.

wow another solid statement with no relevance. stock turbo to turbo the sidewinder will leave your doo in the dust how's that weight translate?

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Except it wont. So your wrong there lol

WOW, how much of the stuff that you spew, do you actually believe? Or is it all just for reaction? On one end of the spectrum there are very good, light N/A sleds, then in the middle there are Mid-weight turbo sleds with slightly more power at altitude, and then at the other end of the spectrum there are heavy turbo sleds with much more power. According to you, the mid-selection is far better than either ends of the spectrum. Or is that just a compromise?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW, how much of the stuff that you spew, do you actually believe? Or is it all just for reaction? On one end of the spectrum there are very good, light N/A sleds, then in the middle there are Mid-weight turbo sleds with slightly more power at altitude, and then at the other end of the spectrum there are heavy turbo sleds with much more power. According to you, the mid-selection is far better than either ends of the spectrum. Or is that just a compromise?

Not only do i believe it, i live it and see it with my own eyes quite regularily. Once in a while ill throw out a statement that might be for reaction sakes but not often LOL. im not sure why we are talking about sidewinders now but They have their place on the mountain forsure. But to say a STOCK sidewinder will blow the doors off a Turbo skidoo is just not correct. ya program it and shed some weight it will work better, But i can guarantee you in tricky situations it still wont perform as well. It might out pull it on a straight climb but theres much more to mountain riding than that. IMO. and yes, i do feel the mid selection of snowmobile is currently the best option. Best power to weight ratio with warranty dont touch a thing out of the box. Cant go wrong with that. But whatever works for you, if thats a 125hp polaris axys thats fantastic lol well still all be riding in the same spot so what does it really matter. Pick whats best for you.

Last edited:

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any pics?
Can confirm. We had Catman10 174 270 Hp sidewinder out with Maxwell on the weekend. The sidewinder does outclimb the doo turbo but not by as much as we all would have thought.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• DD10E217-3610-403E-B78D-5E4FBC5B318E.png
    DD10E217-3610-403E-B78D-5E4FBC5B318E.png
    453.5 KB · Views: 186
  • C638EE7B-4F96-4EBD-A31B-89B1A014265C.jpg
    C638EE7B-4F96-4EBD-A31B-89B1A014265C.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 187
Top Bottom