2018 Polaris ... Have a peek see & Listen....

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't see why Polaris would drop the HO after 3 seasons. Adding a new motor 3 years after? Even if it was the heavily rumoured triple, which I think means there is no triple as anything that is talked about takes a few years. And direction injection? Again they will likely stick with the current HO platform.

Anything they do is going to be an upgrade to the existing HO. Longer stroke, turbo, whatever.

There is a chance it's something completely new and in a few days we will know but typically Polaris relies heavily on the input of its big name guys like Burandt. And is he asking for anything but a factory turbo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the base stock of the ho is no different than the 2008. same bore, same stroke, different valve config and electric oil pump. thicker cyl skirts but really the ho is nothing new by a long shot.

vodoo103

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Re: 2018 Polaris ... Have a peek see & Listen....

fixed it for you.

So Maxwell if the 165 Doo 850 has as much track area as the 174 AXYS with only a piddly 800 motor, how come the AXYS totally dominates climbing and deep snow over the G4?

fedingtrolls.jpg

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the point of that would be, so Polaris builds a G4, how would that convince someone who already has a G4 to switch over? Because it's lighter? But would it be if they had to add a wider track,bigger boards and some sort of T-motion clone? Like someone else said, the needs to be some sort of differentiation between the manufacturers sleds or you could only sell them your version based on price and colour.

Many regions have good dealers and some, not so much. It just opens up choice to the consumer.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the base stock of the ho is no different than the 2008. same bore, same stroke, different valve config and electric oil pump. thicker cyl skirts but really the ho is nothing new by a long shot.

Different crank, pipe, mapping, motor mounts, porting etc. I would say a whole new engine with the same bore and stroke. If the bore and stroke was the same as the e-tec or Cat motor would you say it is the same motor as found in one of these?

popcorn popper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've always said. Whoever comes out with big bore triple with today's tec will kick ass. I've weighed the 800r and 809 triple without pipes and carbs they are nearly identical. A big bore single pipe will make 185 fairly easy so I think it would be quite doable and likely nearly identical weights. The new etec engines are heavier than 800r by fair bit. When I visited Rotax in Austria they told us that when Bombi decided to leave the rotary valve engines and up cc's for the required hp lost with cylinder reed the engineers were really pissed. They told us that after 350cc per cylinder detonation gets tougher and tougher to control. 700cc. Thus the need for sophisticated electronics. That said 350cc per cylinder would give quite a hit. It's gonna be interesting.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Polaris wasn't waiting for Cat to figure out their snowbike any longer and are going to release their own.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Different crank, pipe, mapping, motor mounts, porting etc. I would say a whole new engine with the same bore and stroke. If the bore and stroke was the same as the e-tec or Cat motor would you say it is the same motor as found in one of these?
they switched from mape to fuji in 12/13. same crank design, pipe is not part of the engine, mapping is totally out of the equation, motor mounts(who gives a ****), and whats different in the porting? enlighten me! the piston is identical to the old piston also but has some oil retaining grooves on the exhaust side. i could care less about what cat or doo has because i own polaris.

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they switched from mape to fuji in 12/13. same crank design, pipe is not part of the engine, mapping is totally out of the equation, motor mounts(who gives a ****), and whats different in the porting? enlighten me! the piston is identical to the old piston also but has some oil retaining grooves on the exhaust side. i could care less about what cat or doo has because i own polaris.

Well just because you know everything already...

the CFI-4 in 2008-2010 port timing specs were the most radical of the three iterations, making around 154 HP with fuel leaned out with a DTR Power Commander map. But there was the inconsistent compression/combustion pressure control of the exhaust valves. Anytime one or more valves would be late opening during light acceleration, excessive airflow could occur and the air/fuel mixture could become leaner, creating possible detonation or lean surging and misfire.

The 2011 the CFI-2 version had much milder port timing, which created better part throttle compression pressure to open the exhaust valves promptly and more consistently. The milder port timing and revised valve timing made midrange airflow more consistent regardless if the exhaust valves were open or closed when commanded. So with the CFI-2 800, the dreaded midrange lean condition was eliminated, but unfortunately power was down roughly 8-10 HP from the CFI-4 800.

For 2015, the new 800 H.O, the exhaust valves are strictly controlled by an electronic stepper motor, and valving is expanded to cover not only the main exhaust port, but also the secondary ‘boost’ or ‘sub exhaust’ ports adjacent to the main exhaust port. The main exhaust port valve is a ‘double stack’ allowing the exhaust port height to be lower at low RPM, and at light throttle opening. At WOT (wide open throttle) the valves are fully closed from idle to 5200RPM, where they snap to ½ open. Then, at 7200 RPM they open fully resulting in smooth, torquey operation through the entire HP band.

Displacement stays the same at 795cc, but a new crankshaft is 2.5 pounds lighter, and a new piston/chrome ring package needs lots of break-in time to seal properly. Typical ‘moly’ rings seat well against nickasil bore quickly, but the chrome rings used in the 800 H.O. need time, load and extra oil to do the same.

So some could get porting and port timing mixed up easy enough. And saying the crank is the same design yet it's 2.5lbs lighter is pulling hairs.

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

the CFI-4 in 2008-2010 port timing specs were the most radical of the three iterations, making around 154 HP with fuel leaned out with a DTR Power Commander map. But there was the inconsistent compression/combustion pressure control of the exhaust valves. Anytime one or more valves would be late opening during light acceleration, excessive airflow could occur and the air/fuel mixture could become leaner, creating possible detonation or lean surging and misfire.

The 2011 the CFI-2 version had much milder port timing, which created better part throttle compression pressure to open the exhaust valves promptly and more consistently. The milder port timing and revised valve timing made midrange airflow more consistent regardless if the exhaust valves were open or closed when commanded. So with the CFI-2 800, the dreaded midrange lean condition was eliminated, but unfortunately power was down roughly 8-10 HP from the CFI-4 800.

For 2015, the new 800 H.O, the exhaust valves are strictly controlled by an electronic stepper motor, and valving is expanded to cover not only the main exhaust port, but also the secondary ‘boost’ or ‘sub exhaust’ ports adjacent to the main exhaust port. The main exhaust port valve is a ‘double stack’ allowing the exhaust port height to be lower at low RPM, and at light throttle opening. At WOT (wide open throttle) the valves are fully closed from idle to 5200RPM, where they snap to ½ open. Then, at 7200 RPM they open fully resulting in smooth, torquey operation through the entire HP band.

Displacement stays the same at 795cc, but a new crankshaft is 2.5 pounds lighter, and a new piston/chrome ring package needs lots of break-in time to seal properly. Typical ‘moly’ rings seat well against nickasil bore quickly, but the chrome rings used in the 800 H.O. need time, load and extra oil to do the same.

So some could get porting and port timing mixed up easy enough. And saying the crank is the same design yet it's 2.5lbs lighter is pulling hairs.

The more you know.

Cuz knowledge is power!

But seriously.....I now know more about those engines than I ever did. Props for that.
Cheers

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2018 Polaris ... Have a peek see & Listen....

10 pm central. 9 pm Alberta.(mtn)

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Nice breakdown. Just a couple of question the second version still had some issues life spans of 1300 k to 5000. I personally have only observed one go down with the lower k .though.

What is the longer break in period look like in respect to time and other variables to do it properly.

Top Bottom