2016 Alberta Fire Ban OHV Use

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will probably get trashed for this comment.

So is it ban people from the back country?

Did OHV light a fire or the cigarette and camp fire

If you are aware of your machine and keep it clean and watch the trails you ride it imo it should be fine.

My tired rant

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I will probably get trashed for this comment.

So is it ban people from the back country?

Did OHV light a fire or the cigarette and camp fire

If you are aware of your machine and keep it clean and watch the trails you ride it imo it should be fine.

My tired rant
Their reasoning was obviously the tinder dry conditions. And as already said lots of people never look under their machines.

Late last May we were on a ride up by Barrhead, the exhaust gasses from our 550 Sportsman ignited a small fire right by all our trucks. It happens so fast we got it out and ourselves but it could have been very bad.

Also. For those that do decide to ride. Carry fire extinguisher, weed sprayer full of water, something for those "just in case" situations

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As I remember being trapped with 10 rides in the West country !

I too had a chance to see our path blocked off by fire. A group of us where riding out West to check out some water falls, some how the trail behind us became a smoke ball as a helicopter with 5 dudes in cover-alls landed be side us and told us to sit tight.

The 5 of them walked back into the smoke as we could hear them bagging away with shovels and spry cans, chopper hauled in second load of workers as water boomer dumped load East of them. 2 hours later we got the green light to head out.

My fear was so real that I never want to see another bush fire up close as long as I remain.

Chatting with fire break crew later that night we found out they snuffed out 11 to 14 near misses from Caroline to Abraham lake that day.
Fire in my mind is dammed scary. Not sure what started them either.

Pal Lem

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a tough one... I do not like the precedent of total province wide bans . I feel it should be on s county by county basis. Some areas could be saturated by rain , others tinder dry.
Well I fully understand the intentionofthe ban , I do not trust the NDP government to "listen " to the locals and experts who know best ...,
this has been proven by the way they have handled low low oil prices , as well as Bill 6.

The NDP will Tell us what's the right thing to do is , regardless of whether they are correct or not..!
this is very similar to the way they ran bill 6 through with out any consultation .
i totally agree with a ban on areas that warrant it , what about ares that receive rain ? Will they remain banned because of the dry locations ,most of the summer ??

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a tough one... I do not like the precedent of total province wide bans . I feel it should be on s county by county basis. Some areas could be saturated by rain , others tinder dry.
Well I fully understand the intentionofthe ban , I do not trust the NDP government to "listen " to the locals and experts who know best ...,
this has been proven by the way they have handled low low oil prices , as well as Bill 6.

The NDP will Tell us what's the right thing to do is , regardless of whether they are correct or not..!
this is very similar to the way they ran bill 6 through with out any consultation .
i totally agree with a ban on areas that warrant it , what about ares that receive rain ? Will they remain banned because of the dry locations ,most of the summer ??
No different than sicamous, because we are in Kamloops fire district, when they impose fire ban, even tho we have 3 days of rain, they didn't and it's the hole area banned

Dumb yes, but.....

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I agree 100%. I read this as the granny state NDP's "perfect excuse" to put down and keep down a group that they dislike already. I will abide....but I am skeptical. And when we get some rain and I am still "banned" from responsible ATV use, something will have to be said/done.

RhinoWhino

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guess I will wait to sign the papers on the new Hysun . Not fun looking at it in the garage .

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No different than sicamous, because we are in Kamloops fire district, when they impose fire ban, even tho we have 3 days of rain, they didn't and it's the hole area banned

Dumb yes, but.....
Tex this is the WHOLE province ... Though.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here in BC we have had back country usage ban before, mostly by region not provincial. Where you can't even go for a walk on crown land. In BC, region to region can be very different because of the natural barriers like our mountain's that literally isolate a region from another. So provincial ban's are unlikely BUT could happen.
This is WHY, it's not sometimes so much the condition variant between region's but RESOURCES available should something happen.
At the moment Alberta's resources are beyond their limits fighting in the north, could you imagine what would happen should something happen in the south without enough resources to fight the fire.
IMO at this time it's a smart step takin by the government. It probably won't be for too long, but more till they get a handle on what's going on up north.
Be patient guy's

Last edited:

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I fully understand that and agree, however I simply do not trust the intentions of Madam Knotley...
I have a feeling this is also a "test " to some degree of how far an agenda can be pushed.

I hope I am wrong , but I do have a bad feeling about this....
to be crystal clear though everyone's prime concern should be preventing fires and assisting the good people of Fort Mac !

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tex this is the WHOLE province ... Though.
I totally understand

What I'm saying is even tho we are 3 hours away from where it's dry enough to have a ban, and we are not

It's the hole area, it sucks forsure

And yes, to all ya dipperlanders

You need to get that byotch out of there, I can't stand her chicken pecking speaking and point blank lies

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I fully understand that and agree, however I simply do not trust the intentions of Madam Knotley...
I have a feeling this is also a "test " to some degree of how far an agenda can be pushed.

I hope I am wrong , but I do have a bad feeling about this....
to be crystal clear though everyone's prime concern should be preventing fires and assisting the good people of Fort Mac !

Test possible but look at it this way also.

Test to see if we can be responsible and follow some rules and some requirements.
If we don't follow a simple activity ban when it is justified then how are we as a recreation ever going to follow simple rules like access to designated trails or areas.
Linear disturbance is a huge thing just google it while you are all waiting to ride.
AWA, castle crown wilderness association are just a couple who are pushing for motorized to be banned from the West country or everywhere. Look them up on Facebook and you will see what they are doing.
If we continue to do what we have been doing with the way we ride we will be parking our units for sure.
They have all the money to police us out but wont put any in to upgrade the trails to get them more sustainable for use.
Time is NOW to follow a simple law and pray for rain.
Forecast is for some rain this week lets see how they do with lifting some of the OHV BAN.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think as in just about every other activity 95% or higher will comply . Probably the same rate as any one else , and of course you will always have a few who spoil it for the rest . Your logic is based of the premise that if we comply 100% , they will leave us alone and every thing will be fine... If I understand your point .

On the other hand I think that while we are a responsible group as a whole barring a few exceptions , this does not alter the fact that there are groups that put forth the premise that zero off highway motorized activity is only acceptable ! So while we , keep saying we are sorry , we will do better or what ever ..., the fact remains that no matter what we do.. It will fall far short of their ideals ..
I am not advocating to ride when banned , but as I have stated ... This is a dangerous precedent to accept with out reasonable discussion and explanations ..IMO

In short I do not trust the motives of the NDP government based of of their track record and coments in general about what is sustainable ....jmot

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think as in just about every other activity 95% or higher will comply . Probably the same rate as any one else , and of course you will always have a few who spoil it for the rest . Your logic is based of the premise that if we comply 100% , they will leave us alone and every thing will be fine... If I understand your point .

On the other hand I think that while we are a responsible group as a whole barring a few exceptions , this does not alter the fact that there are groups that put forth the premise that zero off highway motorized activity is only acceptable ! So while we , keep saying we are sorry , we will do better or what ever ..., the fact remains that no matter what we do.. It will fall far short of their ideals ..
I am not advocating to ride when banned , but as I have stated ... This is a dangerous precedent to accept with out reasonable discussion and explanations ..IMO

In short I do not trust the motives of the NDP government based of of their track record and coments in general about what is sustainable ....jmot

They will never leave us alone. But we have to show them that we are willing to try to make a difference. Since the first trike came out in the 70s the government never became involved in the recreation. They never got involved to educate us or to enhance our recreation to give our recreation a chance to do it right. They stood by and watched motorized recreation rip and tear to the point where they cant get any control unless they close off areas and limit our use. They have $$$ to build fences and gates but fall short on programs to improve or control our impacts. If you ever try to deal with the government to improve a trail or area there is so much red tape just within their own departments that its makes trying difficult. One thing are bridges over creeks or wet areas. They want OHVs out of the water but wont give permission to build bridges easily. It seems your better off just doing it and hoping nobody pulls it out.
This NDP government seems to be a bit more positive than the PC were. With talking to some of the government workers working on the ground out there they know where we are coming from with the government department confusion. No single department deals with motorized trails. Real run around at times but it seems to be getting better. Lots of who you deal with out in your area in the field.
We will never win over the support of the Extreme Green Groups but what we need is to start giving them less fuel for their fire. The Quad Squad down in southern Alberta are doing good work but they alone cant repair years of damage by themselves.
I cant ride this weekend because the snow is gone and now to dry to get the quads out. I'm just trying to open some eyes out there and maybe get a few more peeps involved to start to make a difference before its to late to ever make a change.

Top Bottom