2016 Alberta Fire Ban OHV Use

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That guy had no idea as to how a fire spreads..
He was trying to snuff out from upwind. It was spreading violently downwind still. I would like to see the outcome of this incident.

As for people thinking it should be the general public to be the judge to have atv or fire bans, Show respect and follow the rules, and quit making it a political issue.

Just because it rains, does not mean it's safe. The dead shrubs and dry grass can become flammable in hours after a good soaking.... IMO New lush, moist vegetation is the key to prevent the spread.

I feel so saddened that people had their weekends ruined... SUCK IT UP.

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gave my neighbors ****. They let there adult kids go out tonight.
Her response to the provincial ohv ban was " I thought it was just in the trees. "

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We might need a "Where Did It Rain Thread" this year.

Thanks for the report on Grimshaw area. Bragg-Creek area got light showers on Friday, still dry in the bush yet.

Buddy from down there put up a post.

Pal Don

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That guy had no idea as to how a fire spreads..
He was trying to snuff out from upwind. It was spreading violently downwind still. I would like to see the outcome of this incident.

As for people thinking it should be the general public to be the judge to have atv or fire bans, Show respect and follow the rules, and quit making it a political issue.

Just because it rains, does not mean it's safe. The dead shrubs and dry grass can become flammable in hours after a good soaking.... IMO New lush, moist vegetation is the key to prevent the spread.

I feel so saddened that people had their weekends ruined... SUCK IT UP.

I would be curious to know what your thoughts would be if a provincial government put a total indefinite backcountry ban on during avalanche season ... For pubic safety .

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Apples to oranges.
Wouldn't happen, because it doesn't spread and affect infrastructure miles away.. like a fire potentially can.

I would be curious to know what your thoughts would be if a provincial government put a total indefinite backcountry ban on during avalanche season ... For pubic safety .

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I agree different situations . However it certainly puts our first responders at risk , and the death toll was substantially higher than the Fort Mac fires ...
I am not advocating this to happen , but I am sure you would not be happy about it ...is more my point .
I don't come on here and tell you to stop sledding when there is a fatality in the mountains in Avalanche season . We understand it is dry , but still people far more informed than you believe in a county by county ban...

And I would not be surprised at any thing this government comes out with , wether you agree or not !

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no idea on how long this ban will be for. in general the forested area's are real dry, starting to green up, but until the new grass and leafy trees get going it will be a fire hazard out there. this ban will eliminate the pallet burning, six foot diameter fire crowds, who like to burn a cord or two of wood, under a conifer tree cover. may be a very quite may long weekend coming up?

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm thinking most of the decision was to keep all equipment up at Fort Mac to fight that fire and not have to move it back around the province if another fire broke out. I went to Sheep River PP yesterday and it was pouring down rain.
Wet cool temps will lessen the fire threat and Ban will be lifted .
There is a new fire S/E of Swan Hills burning now and most likely others as well. The government is just trying to minimize any more. This was not just the Government decision to park OHVers. AOHVA was into making the recommendation as well. Good on them.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking most of the decision was to keep all equipment up at Fort Mac to fight that fire and not have to move it back around the province if another fire broke out. I went to Sheep River PP yesterday and it was pouring down rain.
Wet cool temps will lessen the fire threat and Ban will be lifted .
There is a new fire S/E of Swan Hills burning now and most likely others as well. The government is just trying to minimize any more. This was not just the Government decision to park OHVers. AOHVA was into making the recommendation as well. Good on them.

yup, i'm thinking the less people out in the bush striking campfires, smokes n lefties the better. from what i have seen the one place you don't want to be is in the bush when a wildfire takes place.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I fully support the decision to a total ATV ban until the conditions improve. Those that don't are likely self centered, me generation that feel that they are entitle to do as the please.

Flame away, I rather that the flames be contained to this site.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes I agree the main thing is to control and eliminate the fires . In terms of the ban , we will see what they do ....
but after the bill 6 fiasco and the carbon tax and royalty reviews etc etc ... It appears quite obvious that this government has little regard for the input of all concerned stakeholders !

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I fully support the decision to a total ATV ban until the conditions improve. Those that don't are likely self centered, me generation that feel that they are entitle to do as the please.

Flame away, I rather that the flames be contained to this site.

you are likely right, but generally people just don't understand, they live in the city where everything is greening up, and they can't understand how or why things are so dry until they start a small campfire for lunch and it gets away on them!

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you are likely right, but generally people just don't understand, they live in the city where everything is greening up, and they can't understand how or why things are so dry until they start a small campfire for lunch and it gets away on them!
The point Rzrgade is making that I agree with is: we agree with a FIRE ban....but are skeptical of a province-wide ATV ban. We will comply....but we don't trust the current governing bodies. The part Sledderglen contributed eases my mind a bit though....

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The point Rzrgade is making that I agree with is: we agree with a FIRE ban....but are skeptical of a province-wide ATV ban. We will comply....but we don't trust the current governing bodies. The part Sledderglen contributed eases my mind a bit though....

I got and understand his point dave, the only way to get it across to the government is to be organized, the more members an organized group has the bigger influence it will have.

Alberta Off-Highway Vehicle Association | AOHVA this is where your membership will count or we can keep on keepin on!

Last edited:

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I agree County by County.

Also control camp fire size.

Do horse back riders and bicycle riders toss butts trash Etc? Those start fires

I can put things in perspective now after 5 day.

Media has no idea.

I worked beside many Ff's from Fort Mac and Suncor who have lost houses. They just said I may as well work.

This camp fire is too big.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking this large campfire may change our future activities in the bush! best to get our combined voices heard now!:twocents:

later may just be too late!

yearly membership is $45? gets your voice heard, and best way to keep riding area's open to riding.

, Sorry I just can't make it any easier than this boys.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we can sit back and do nothing, just like voting. but the government tends to listen to the most vocal group. we can sit here and beotch all day, while the green crowd becomes a bit more organized and a bit more vocal. I am signing up five members from my family, $45 gets 5 more voices to keep riding area's open! it is up to you guys. there should b another 30 names on the list from posters on this thread, at least.

I wonder if dogs count?

Last edited:

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I think the main reason for the OHV ban is to keep people out of the bush, for now. At least that is what I am hoping. We will abide, always do,but am not happy either way. They still have not said what started the fire exactly. Let's all hope it was NOT an ATV that started it all, probably hard to prove anyway. Could have been hikers, could have been smokers, could have been a campfire that was not cared for properly, either way pretty sure is was human caused. By the way for all you smokers who discard your butts out of the car windows, STOP IT. I see it everyday, rain, sun, winter, summer, hot and dry. Even the people driving away from Ft. Mac last Tuesday were seen throwing their cig butts out. Ignorant

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If there was s sledding ban in the backcountry because there was no snow down low and my sled posed a fire hazard getting to the snow... I wouldn't be at all pissed.

I believe that this "carpet ban" is also out of respect to people who are suffering..

Put it this way, if one county didn't issue a ban and a fire did start that way.... then what would everyone say? OH it's NOTLEY's fault.. LOL

Someone took this picture of this douche nozzle in a red raptor tossing his cigarette butt out of his window today at Terwillegar park. Sorry if pic is small..

13164353_10153980363095041_4545563313168189521_n.jpg

Top Bottom