2015 / 2016 Valemount Conditions and Updates

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With that logic, guess we shouldn't have maps or avalanche conditions too.

Ive heard tons of stories of guys going off that cliff, seems like it happens way too often.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Ive heard tons of stories of guys going off that cliff, seems like it happens way too often.

no. those are tools use them. if you did then you wouldnt need a sign saying dont drive off this cliff because if you need to be warned about that it means you have already made a mistake. anyways back on topic. snows good...

wilson74

Reaction score
Rode Allan Saturday. Conditions were awesome up top. Trail was rough but expected as the parking lot was like Sobey's on a Sunday morning after church. Snow stability is very poor and major risk for avalanche's throughout. One guy was buried and had to be dug out. If you haven't performed a trial recovery, I would advise to go over the procedure again.
IMG_0282[1].jpg
IMG_0288[1].jpg

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

It not hard to scope the terrain with google earth. Bad vis or not, a drop off can appear very quick when a rider is not paying attention.

Anyway we had a blast at Chappell on fri, ran low on fuel early afternoon and was running on jerry can fuel. Snow was amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where abouts on Allen was this slide? Small world, hes a friend of a good friend.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Rode Allan Saturday. Conditions were awesome up top. Trail was rough but expected as the parking lot was like Sobey's on a Sunday morning after church. Snow stability is very poor and major risk for avalanche's throughout. One guy was buried and had to be dug out. If you haven't performed a trial recovery, I would advise to go over the procedure again.
View attachment 193816
View attachment 193817

That avy looked pretty bad... Guy was okay? Was he far from the sled?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone got a repot from Monday or even Sunday

Sorry, the best I have is that a good system seems to be setting in that will last until at least the weekend. Private forecasts are calling for upwards of 35-40cms of precipitation by the weekend.

We did see good use of the riding areas this weekend although the harder to find honey holes are now all filled back in as well and awaiting to reward those who go looking. The main riding zone still have some excellent riding in them as well but expect to see tracks until this storm drops the forecasted precip.

The avalanche hazard still needs to be highly respected. We have been seeing sz2 avalanches in areas that one would not normally expect. You may get away with mistakes for a while but for how long. Please be aware and observant of where potential problems are, test for them and work you way into the terrain one step at a time gathering information as you go.

Riding was good though!

Attachments

• IMG_1656_800x533.JPG
    IMG_1656_800x533.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 503
  • IMG_1770_800x533.JPG
    IMG_1770_800x533.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_1846_800x533.JPG
    IMG_1846_800x533.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 499

TPOWER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The snow has started at ground zero , coming down pretty steady for last hour or so .
So I'll do my part and keep up the snow dance and see if we can deliver another epic weekend .

Summit River Lodge
Valemount's Best Kept Secret

Symbiotic

Reaction score
On my way up north, heard good things about Summit River and should be rolling in tomorrow evening, quick ride Thursday then continuing on in the afternoon. If i make it far enough i'll stay the night.
Cheers!
Lets hope for some good snow.

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On my way up north, heard good things about Summit River and should be rolling in tomorrow evening, quick ride Thursday then continuing on in the afternoon. If i make it far enough i'll stay the night.
Cheers!
Lets hope for some good snow.

You WILL NOT be disappointed. Easily one of the best places around.

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxwell what camera are you using, that quality looks amazing! Hopefully its not a DSLR because even though I have one I hate riding with it because its such a PITA to pull out that even if I have it I rarely actually pull it out of my tunnel bag.

team-x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also I think it was in here that there was someone who was a trail groomer. Want to PM me I have a question. No, I'm not about to complain about the trail, its nothing short of a magic what you guys do. Just curious about advantages of a drag vs tiller like on a ski hill but this isn't the right place to get into that discussion.

And back to the topic, anyone been in westridge lately?

Symbiotic

Reaction score
You WILL NOT be disappointed. Easily one of the best places around.

Summit River is a fantastic place to stay.
We stay there often, its like being at home.
Thanks for the info guys, and looking forward to my stay. I've been driving straight through on my way up to Ft.Mac for the last several years for work, finally starting to take advantage of seasons/weather/locations for sledding as i drive through.
I'll post an update on conditions.
Cheers!

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Attachments

• 20160127_113633_resized.jpg
    20160127_113633_resized.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 546
  • 20160127_121649_resized.jpg
    20160127_121649_resized.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 545
  • January 27 2016 -page-001.jpg
    January 27 2016 -page-001.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 535

turboetech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the updates Curtis...... I see you are ridding the blue snowshoe and when the yellow snowshoe comes out snow conditions are epic.... Heading out at 4 am Thursday morning to track the sh-- out of Allen creek heading straight to the back hoping for some untouched pow pending visibility of course.......

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the updates Curtis...... I see you are ridding the blue snowshoe and when the yellow snowshoe comes out snow conditions are epic.... Heading out at 4 am Thursday morning to track the sh-- out of Allen creek heading straight to the back hoping for some untouched pow pending visibility of course.......

I'm hoping the visibility is so bad due to a reload that you can't get past hillclimb lol! I'll be in the area fri just not sure where we will unload yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

etecturbo

Reaction score
Looking to ride Valemount this weekend will be their tomorrow night, must be a busy weekend hard to find rooms. Anyone know what the snow conditions are like, looking to ride Chappell

Top Bottom