2015-16 Forster conditions

Kevin George

Reaction score
I rode Forester on Friday, paid the money taker at the old parking lot and asked if the trail was groomed last night. His answer was it should be. Unloaded at the new parking lot and rode into Forester on a half pounded out trail because it was not groomed Thursday night. Repeated the process on Saturday. Paid the money taker and asked if the trail was groomed and his reply was, they always groom on Friday night. Get to the upper parking lot and talked to 2 groups of riders who had just ridden down and they said the trail was brutal. So, I looked at the groomer which had not been moved and decided not to ride. Went back down to the lower lot and the money taker was gone. After riding in Western Canada for over 20 years, in 20 + locations, I have fully supported the snowmobile clubs, but it pisses me off the fork out $120.00 for a group off 3 to ride a rough trail. I think if the clubs need more money to maintain cabins, trails, etc, then charge 30 bucks or whatever is needed for cash on days when the trail is groomed, but don't hold out your hand on days when the trail is not groomed. I fully realize that the trail may not have been groomed because of warm temperatures, and that's ok, then it is the riders choice if he or she wants pound their way in, but we shouldn't be paying to figure that out. Also, I am wondering if the money taker should actually know if the trail was groomed or not rather than just guessing...

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fee is not a grooming fee it is a maintenance fee. This covers grooming, cabin maintenance, summer trail maintenance, repairs to groomer, fuel, insurance etc.
We have been having some communication issues with the groomer operator, fee collector and the club directors and are working on a solution.

Kevin George

Reaction score
As I indicated in my post, I understand the fee is for all of the obligations of a snowmobile club, and for me personally as well as others, would rather pay 30 - 40 bucks per sled on grooming days or whatever is required to fulfill all of the financial needs rather than just 20 bucks to show up a pound our way in to the riding area. Thanks for your response and hopefully things work out with the communication

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We can't change pricing like that, would create problems.
If all goes according to the plan we will have a new groomer and a reliable operator next season. The current "volunteer position" who is supposed to groom thurdays has not worked out.

Last edited:

goldtip

Reaction score
I rode it both Saturday and Sunday, and although the trail was pounded on both days, and the 8 of us up from Spokane all paid our $20 fee each day, we all found that if a guy just slowed it down a bit as we rode in and out from the cabin, then we weren't so beat to hell before we hit what we really wanted to ride anyway. I obviously don't live near enough to Radium to volunteer to be a groomer and I and I've never run one, I think the trail could certainly be better taken care of. But it could be worse also! And if it weren't for the volunteers who have been grooming the trail when they can, then I wouldn't have been able to ride both days! Yes the trail in was rough, but imagine what it would be like if it were never groomed! That trail would be unusable by this time of year, and after the absolutely incredible riding there was to be found on Sunday, I am grateful that it has been as well taken care of as it has Been this year!

The riding on the glacier on Sunday was nothing short of awe inspiring! Bluebird skies and untracked fluffy light powder well up the hood, was some of the greatest riding I've ever experienced! When we hit the glacier there was only one group of maybe 5-6 guys and gals had rode only over to a little finger ridge and shoveling a jump. So we had untracked soft fluffy powder in all directions. I've never seen it with that much fluff and virtually no tracks in all directions. Every single one of us agreed it was without question one of our top 3 days ever on a sled. So although I would have liked to have run in one a smooth freshly groomed trail in, what grooming has been done, was plenty to keep the trail in passable and give me access to the glacier and some of the finest riding I've ever seen. So my hats off to the local Radium club, and I'll gladly pay the $20 a day fee to be able to ride like that again. Many thanks to those who do volunteer and do what they can when they can! Thanks to anyone who has ever helped keep thE trail open into the warming cabin, we will definitely be back! Hope to make it back in a couple weeks! Everyone ride safe!

powder dreams

Reaction score
I know that's the typical attitude towards the $20 fee. But like stated above it does go to a lot more then just grooming. But I do somewhat agree that the trail is one of the worst iv ridden. Plus all the garbage on the trail got old fast. A guy can only stop and pick up so much of it befor it pisses you off. I'm not sure what wrong with people but it was sure pathetic. But that's not the clubs fault.

it seems the club has a lot of issues staying organized and it sounds like there's a lack of volunteers but I live to far away to try and help change that. Even paying the trail fee is a mess. The sign at the bottom is usually where I pay cuz we ride week days and most areas don't have a lot attendant on week days. We get up to the top parking lot and there was a lady there but me and the few other trucks behind me put our cash in the box at the bottom. So we all carried on talked a bit and made our way up to the gas drop. Wasn't a piece of wood to be found. Got to the cabin...no wood there ether. I thought that was pretty pathetic. It's bad enough you have to pack a few blocks up and beat the hell out of your sled on the pounded out trail. im not even trying to seem arrogant about that but there should be wood there just incase theres an emergency. I know if it was life or death id start burning anything in sight. Its more of a safety thing then a luxury to me cuz we hardly ever go to the cabin.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Don't think there's much difference between the snowcats vs a standard dozer, i'm sure if a familiar operator to a snowcat showed a dozer operator what the buttons do and what not to do there might be more volunteers to do so. I know if I lived in the area if it got me a free trail pass for the season I'd groom, being a dozer operator and have experience pushing snow for days upon days, my experience may be in a bit larger scale equipment but principles the same, I'm sure there could be room for improvement.

Maybe if the club put out a free course to learn how to groom(for those with experience operating similar equipment), there might be a benefit for both parties.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is now 3 cords of wood in the shack(another logistical/communication issue).
One of the challenges is volunteer numbers, could not get a fee collectore so one was hired. Collected more this year than ever.
Groomer is an old pos, and needs special attention. Its been jimmy joe'd together for years due to financial reasons.
Finding people who can turn wrenches in the dark, run heavy equipment and have no other commitments twice a week is tough.
Honestly the trail has been really good this year, the road has been amazing and now with the ability to groom to the cabin, things look very good going forward.
Feedback appreciated, just keep in mind there are 6-10 active members right now.

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
There is now 3 cords of wood in the shack(another logistical/communication issue).
One of the challenges is volunteer numbers, could not get a fee collectore so one was hired. Collected more this year than ever.
Groomer is an old pos, and needs special attention. Its been jimmy joe'd together for years due to financial reasons.
Finding people who can turn wrenches in the dark, run heavy equipment and have no other commitments twice a week is tough.
Honestly the trail has been really good this year, the road has been amazing and now with the ability to groom to the cabin, things look very good going forward.
Feedback appreciated, just keep in mind there are 6-10 active members right now.
I heard about how volunteering for collecting gets you a free meal, that is a good incentive, but the grooming might be a good thing to offer an incentive as well. The yearly pass would be alright and then offer a free meal when they groom? If I was hungry I'd spend a couple hours in the cat lol. Don't know about grooming, but for washboards on a road, when your grading you need to cut the washboards out until the road is flat, and then return the material to get the road back to a proper crown/grade. When I was in forester I overheard someone talking in the cabin about just filling in the whoops, the fill material isn't going to stick in there because the sub grade is packed solid, and the fill is loose, it'll get knocked out right away. Hence why you cut them and get a flat subgrade. but this isn't about grooming, sorry for rambling, I hope to make a late spring trip back to enjoy the glacier again. I'd like to see the trail groomed to the cabin! When we were there it was still stopped at the gas drop/bridge.

getzcold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you still able to park at the 28 parking lot? Was thinking which trailer to bring out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

altaredneck

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wanna keep it safe this weekend just wondering what people think about the poke up to the glacier. How safe is it to be climbing up to it once up there I just wanna play in the flats. Has the path been fairly tracked out. Thanks

palerider57

Reaction score
Rode Forester last weekend for the first time. Nice area. Saw a crazy sledder right of the cabin,, across the creek climbing the avalanche chute all the way to the top. Also saw 4 sleds playing on the same hill at the same time repeatedly . Thought for sure we would see a death. Also, Not sure what direction it was, but left of the cabin thru trees there is clearly marked "out-of-bounds" area. By Saturday it was a highway into the out of bounds area. Regardless.we had a great time.

Top Bottom