2014 rear axle

schiermnultra

Reaction score
Keep an eye on your rear axel guys!! My entire rear axle parted ways on the third ride out and same thing happened to my brother. Seems that maybe one of the goons at brp wasn't pulling his wrench hard enough one day. Axles bolts are loosening off, falling out and then causing the rear axle to self destruct. Talked with a couple guy south of the line and they are experiencing the same problems.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the design is sound then it will be a problem at the dealership level. What is changed from last year?Anyone know?

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few week ends ago, Revblu fell out too... 13 xm

I have been checking mine every ride, and now have 5/8 tools for it

sent while I should be drinking tea's

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so I checked the parts fiches from 13-14. Everything is the same from last year on the rear axle except...........the conical washer and the slider flange that fits in the groove of the rail. The washer is key. If it is not holding tension then the bolt will loosen over time on its own. I would call your dealer Brett and let them know this so they can start sending some RPQ reports to BRP ASAP.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seen a few fellas on Snowest having this same problem. One had a picture of the bolt and it looks like BRP may have forgot to apply the yellow Loctite. I can't comment on the XM but the xp's all had the Yellow Loctite in bolts.
Snopro or anyone that has changed rear axle or changed skid will remember this.
Bolts turn hard quite afew turns before they loosen up.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seen a few fellas on Snowest having this same problem. One had a picture of the bolt and it looks like BRP may have forgot to apply the yellow Loctite. I can't comment on the XM but the xp's all had the Yellow Loctite in bolts.
Snopro or anyone that has changed rear axle or changed skid will remember this.
Bolts turn hard quite afew turns before they loosen up.
Honestly can't remember pfi. But it makes sense if thats the case.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been checking mine every ride and it's staying tight. Need to loctite it when I have some time.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I noticed today that my 14 xm, has different washers than the coned one Like the 13 of Revblu that came apart

And looks to be 2 of them a side also

sent while I should be drinking tea's

schiermnultra

Reaction score
Ok so I checked the parts fiches from 13-14. Everything is the same from last year on the rear axle except...........the conical washer and the slider flange that fits in the groove of the rail. The washer is key. If it is not holding tension then the bolt will loosen over time on its own. I would call your dealer Brett and let them know this so they can start sending some RPQ reports to BRP ASAP.

yup will do ken. Thanks for looking that up.

revbyu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yah wasnt the funniest trip out - bolt came out when I was on a hard pull - so when bolt came out track loosened off and then track window caught on rail stopping the track / bent rail and spun drivers on driveshaft - it was an abrupt stop ! repaired partially on hill after trip back to town thks to tex ! Had to replace driveshaft / rear idlier wheel / straighten rail and had to replace some plastic spacers - lessen learned ! A 2 min chk before ridding would have saved a bunch of time and $$ !

Reddragon816

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me at renshaw the other day! Luckily i was on my way down the trail and we had another xm in our group. She carried on and loaded her sled and they took parts we needed to get me down to the parking lot! I don't think they put locktite in er. Also i wasn't rootin on er so hopefully no other damage!!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Track tension is part of pdi. If it comes with factory loc tite and the dealer breaks the lock? Then tightens it back up without re applying. My theory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure would like to know why they changed washers this year though...

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks boys just checked my axle today an it was loose also track align from dealer was out by a mile!!!

Hydro

Reaction score
Checked mine, were finger tight.

As a newbie check list, what other bolts, nuts, and fittings should a guy be checking in his/her 5 minute double check before hitting the trail? Other than the obvious (gas cap, oil cap, muffler bearing). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Top Bottom