2014 / 2015 Valemount Conditions and Updates

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even an experienced rider that's never done it before can have a rough go at it. Aka my buddy last year flipped his new xm with only the miles from trailer to first switchback before it flipped and slid down the rocks on its side haha
Haha. My same situation going into westridge on my bran new 13 xm. ...2 years ago.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great day on the hill today. The Chappell trail is broke in a good for most levels of riders. There are a few interesting crossings and a lot of willows but it all is easily managed. Once up top, there was 130cm of good snow in the meadows. Id strongly suggest staying away from the tiffany lakes and the upper ridge lines due to rocks shallow snow cover. Tonnes of open gullies in the meadows, so ride with caution but this is definitely a good alternative to the iced up allen trail.

Snowing loonie sized flakes on the way down and a Heavy Snowfall warning in effect !

Ride safe everyone, we do have a interesting snowpack at this point.

Complexd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great day on the hill today. The Chappell trail is broke in a good for most levels of riders. There are a few interesting crossings and a lot of willows but it all is easily managed. Once up top, there was 130cm of good snow in the meadows. Id strongly suggest staying away from the tiffany lakes and the upper ridge lines due to rocks shallow snow cover. Tonnes of open gullies in the meadows, so ride with caution but this is definitely a good alternative to the iced up allen trail.

Snowing loonie sized flakes on the way down and a Heavy Snowfall warning in effect !

Ride safe everyone, we do have a interesting snowpack at this point.

When was the last time there was a "good" snow pack? I have really only been following the snow conditions this closely the last two years and i remember last year was not that great either. What makes a good snow pack?

turboetech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Noone really says much...... Varda wants everyone to pay when they groom....... Love the sport and love ridin Valemount no the area well there now will ride and post pics and info riden Allen creek on Thursday and Chappell Friday pics and no BS report to follow.....

TPOWER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This mornings snow report from the valley bottom is holy sh-- . Snow is still coming down slowly and steady with 30-40 more cm expected today.
Boys and girls load up your sleds cause it's going to be an epic weekend .

This deck bench was shoveled at 11 pm last night

I can't even go out on Bach deck due to northerly slope cornice building up getting ready to slide .

Ride hard , ride safe .

Summit River Lodge
" The Secrets Out"

turboetech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
7 inches of fresh snow in Valemount at 5am and still snowing.....did I mention Valemount is the best place to sled... Allen creek here we come....

Agent417

Reaction score
image.jpg Another picture to get people pumped, taken 7am this morning right in town.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When was the last time there was a "good" snow pack? I have really only been following the snow conditions this closely the last two years and i remember last year was not that great either. What makes a good snow pack?

First thing to remember is when we are referring to the snowpack, we are not referring to the ability to enjoy what snow there is, we are addressing the stability and potential problems that exist within the snowpack.

A good season begins with consistent snowfall and moderate temperatures. Interruptions such as weeks of no snow and cold weather on top of a very shallow early season snowpack will often create persistent weaknesses in the snowpack that will last long into the season, or the entire season altogether.

In this seasons case there is quite a sandwich of crusts and other potential issues in the lower snowpack, that is what will likely be referred to for a while. Now with this insane new load on top of it, things may get even more interesting.

Hope that helps a little bit. The only reason we discuss this stuff is to inform our fellow sledders and to give everyone as much info as possible so they can have an enjoyable and most importantly SAFE trip.

The links around www.avalanche.ca will give you much more info.

Last edited:

SaskSummit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few pics from our ride with Curtis yesterday in Chappell. Thanks Curtis we had a blast.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1417112920671.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417112920671.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 580
  • uploadfromtaptalk1417113041844.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417113041844.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 569
  • uploadfromtaptalk1417113075841.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417113075841.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 558
  • uploadfromtaptalk1417113241352.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417113241352.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 563
  • uploadfromtaptalk1417113305725.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1417113305725.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:

Dannyturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heading out after the weekend can't fuggin wait!

Sent from my iPhone while drinkin a bud light

Dlo

Reaction score
All these pics and dumping in edmonton what a teasee, on route next week ,, good looking on all the pics!!

Top Bottom