2013 Ford Diesel Owners, Issues with Eurea?

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still looking for a truck.....
I like the new Fords (just bought a 350 powerstroke for the shop) but have heard about issues with the eurea systems in the winter (our shop truck is stored indoors). Its all rumors that i've heard, anyone here have 1st hand knowledge about the eurea freezing in the winter?

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011 and a 2013. Have not had any issues with the urea freezing. Trucks are kept outside

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3 of them between me and my brother. Never garaged and no problems. I was in fort Mac at way below -30 for a month and never even plugged in the truck. The duramax had troubles with freezing on there 1st yr with pig pee.

Last edited by a moderator:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still looking for a truck.....
I like the new Fords (just bought a 350 powerstroke for the shop) but have heard about issues with the eurea systems in the winter (our shop truck is stored indoors). Its all rumors that i've heard, anyone here have 1st hand knowledge about the eurea freezing in the winter?

The eurea does freeze as its freeze point is like -5 or something but the tank and lines have coolant running along them to thaw it once you start driving. During this time the system goes into a mode that does not inject the urea once it is thawed it goes back into the normal operating mode and you as the driver never know the difference.
Some things you need to be aware of not sure how goes work but I know I. A ken worth once the tank is empty you can stop and restart once then it goes into limp mode, like wont even restart until the tank is filled again
Urea was brought in to bring the power of the engines back up and keep the emissions / pollutants down
The part I don't understand is now we have all these 2 gallon jugs laying around that as far as u know to date they can't be reused or recycled. And it's the only way you can buy it is in the jugs as nobody can bulk pump it yet either

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can get them in large tanks that get refilled. We also have people coming in to grab our empty jugs of washer fluid,antifreeze and urea also.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our shop truck gets topped up with every oil change at the dealership.
Have heard horror stories about 'limp mode' after a day outside. Doesn't sound like a lot of fun after a hard days riding.
Thanks gang!

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our shop truck gets topped up with every oil change at the dealership.
Have heard horror stories about 'limp mode' after a day outside. Doesn't sound like a lot of fun after a hard days riding.
Thanks gang!

They start warning you at about 800km to empty. So if you run out its your own damn fault. Lol

ThrottleOps

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My only advice is to get the long box so u get a bigger fuel tank! Wish someone would of told me that when looking

ttpowersports

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2011 f350 46000 km... zero issues... just check it before long trips...someplaces still dont sell it... carry a spare jug if going out of town..... and yes install a titan tank... mc bride to b ville...no prob

Pawel

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got a 2012 f550 service truck and haven't had any issues yet and it's at 30k,but if you idle a lot in the winter you fill definitely notice more consumption on the urea.
All in all pretty solid and powerful truck.

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a 550 service truck head the exhaust changed , wiring harness changed, cam sensor twice, and then the motor blew up at 35,000 k due to droped glow plug and took forever to get it back cause of all the trucks waiting for the same treatment but since I got it back its been good it now has 80,000 k still better then my 6l or 6.4 but still miss my first service truck with the 7.3

roadtech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2011. 235000 as of today, bought in july of 2010, no issue with the urea, regens every 600 km for about 10 minutes, not one problem and this my 3rd winter,
Don.t worry, just enjoy it
Don

Stefan Plouffe

Reaction score
Off topic but whatever I still have some 2012 Ram 3500's that are at wicked prices. No Urea system. PM for quote on Ram before you go Ford again.

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We buy Urea bulk and just fill jugs. Careful handling the chit though.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Off topic but whatever I still have some 2012 Ram 3500's that are at wicked prices. No Urea system. PM for quote on Ram before you go Ford again.

Dont want to start a pissing match but the use of urea is a good thing... way less EGR circulating, to achieve the same result at the tailpipe.

JayBec

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2012 chev 2500hd, almost 60,000 km, not one issue with it, but my only question is, i wanna get an exhaust in, but heard that if u leave your tank connected you wont that rumble, you have to getthe delete kit to get the full effect of the exhaust...is this true ?

dodgeguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As others have said, the urea freezing "problem" is a non-issue!! Yup it's freeze point is -11 (for the stuff I deal with) and you don't wanna get it on you...lol!
Also as said the system is heated....have a couple customers that use straight up winter washer fluid in the DEF tank....in the winter....lol

Top Bottom