1500 chevy and two sleds

sweld

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In alberta you can just reregister commercially to a higher GVW regardless of what ur door sticker says, my welding rig sticker is only 5150kgs but am normally around 5600kgs reregistered for 6300kgs no problems

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just got off the scales!

05 900 151 full of gas
05 600 151 full of gas
me in truck (210 pounds)
truck full of gas
truck half full of propane (aprox 50-60 liters)
back seat half full of gear

3100 Kgs

GVW 3700 kgs

so I still have 600 kg left

so girlfriend, two kids and there gear will not be over 600 kgs oh and 200 pounds for trailer hitch weight but when hauling the trailer the big sleds go on the trailer and the little fan 550 go on truck!

under my GVW all is legal!

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
GVW means nothing if you exceed the ratings on your tires...

I run a few sets of tires on my truck and my 35" Toyo M/T are about 2900# per tire which means that I can legally carry up to 5800# on the rear axle. For the winter I sometimes switch them to a better ice tire as I have this winter and they are only rated at 2600# so 5200# on rear axle only...

As SWELD mentioned you can register ABOVE your GVW...BUT, your tires have to be able to meet the registered weight. You guys with half tons can get away with more but I carry commercial insurance on my 1 ton and I HAVE to follow the rules or pay big fines.

2 sleds arent really much weight, but once you load gear and people and perhaps a trailer you need to consider many other things as well, including the fact that you have half ton brakes trying to stop all of that load.

I will at least commend you Gary for doing your due diligence and spending the time to weigh and check it out! Thumbs up bud, but in my opinion you are pushing the limits of a half ton. Only my opinion though, still impressed with ya!

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
so if ICBC upped my GVW does that up my rear axle weight? because my numbers on my insurance are totally different than whats on my door! I might have to do some paint touch up that covers the sticker lol. Im just going with what ICBC said and with there numbers on my paper work.

What does the G.V.W. say on your door?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
GVW means nothing if you exceed the ratings on your tires...

I run a few sets of tires on my truck and my 35" Toyo M/T are about 2900# per tire which means that I can legally carry up to 5800# on the rear axle. For the winter I sometimes switch them to a better ice tire as I have this winter and they are only rated at 2600# so 5200# on rear axle only...

As SWELD mentioned you can register ABOVE your GVW...BUT, your tires have to be able to meet the registered weight. You guys with half tons can get away with more but I carry commercial insurance on my 1 ton and I HAVE to follow the rules or pay big fines.

2 sleds arent really much weight, but once you load gear and people and perhaps a trailer you need to consider many other things as well, including the fact that you have half ton brakes trying to stop all of that load.

I will at least commend you Gary for doing your due diligence and spending the time to weigh and check it out! Thumbs up bud, but in my opinion you are pushing the limits of a half ton. Only my opinion though, still impressed with ya!

His case is different though, considering he has a flat deck instead of a sled deck, which means the weight is a lot lower, and 550 fan's aren't exactly the same weight as the big 800 or 1000's a lot of people are throwing on decks, or 4 strokes, not to mention 4 men vs only a wife and kids again big difference, I know anyone I sled with isn't under 200. Yea you need to check your tires, and axle ratings to make sure they are legal to. But other then that your set for sure.

jasonmt

Reaction score
just got off the scales!

05 900 151 full of gas
05 600 151 full of gas
me in truck (210 pounds)
truck full of gas
truck half full of propane (aprox 50-60 liters)
back seat half full of gear

3100 Kgs

GVW 3700 kgs

so I still have 600 kg left

so girlfriend, two kids and there gear will not be over 600 kgs oh and 200 pounds for trailer hitch weight but when hauling the trailer the big sleds go on the trailer and the little fan 550 go on truck!

under my GVW all is legal!

You do realize that the GVW shown on your BC registration is the licensed GVW which includes the weight of the vehicle, commercially licensed trailer and payload? Your friendly neighbourhood AutoPlan Agent usually will not ask, and will automatically license you for your net weight x 1.5. Your licensed GVW of 3700kg means that you are licensed to a combination weight (vehicle, commercially licensed trailer and payload) of 3700kg, not that the truck and payload on the truck itself with no trailer can be 3700kg.

Exceeding the lowest of the GAWR's or GVWR certification sticker on the doorjamb or the tyre capacity is going to make you a easy target for some potentially expensive fines and I am guessing that your certification sticker is going to have numbers similar to this (IE you are already 100kg overweight):
306ce52be3_640.jpg

Take a look here if you are still confused: http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/vehicle_inspections/PDF/080530_Rec_Vehicle_GVWR_brake_DL.pdf

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have extra load tires and cant remember exact weight but when I looked at it I was good! as for the trailer thing I was told that the GVW does not include the trailer GVW but only the weight of the tounge on the hitch! hitch weights 180 pounds so I round it off to 200. truck rides better with the sled also. stops great too lol. well except where there is gravel on the pavement but no better with no sleds lol. plus when she is loaded up most guys dont tailgate or do 200 kph lol.

jasonmt

Reaction score
I have extra load tires and cant remember exact weight but when I looked at it I was good! as for the trailer thing I was told that the GVW does not include the trailer GVW but only the weight of the tounge on the hitch! hitch weights 180 pounds so I round it off to 200. truck rides better with the sled also. stops great too lol. well except where there is gravel on the pavement but no better with no sleds lol. plus when she is loaded up most guys dont tailgate or do 200 kph lol.

If you want to rely on your local autoplan agent for your information its your money paying the fines, not mine.

When a trailer is being towed with a utility plate, the towing unit does not have to include the weight of the trailer and its load in the towing unit’s own licensed GVW.
When a trailer is being towed with a commercial plate, the towing unit must be licensed for the whole combination, including its current load.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/CVSE/references_publications/trailer_towing_info_sheet.pdf

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh so you cant tow a bobcat on a car trailer with a 1500! I THINK ICBC said that if the GVW on a trailer is more that 1400 kg it get commercial plates! but a car trailer has to have two 7000 pound axles to carry a bobcat (so DOT says lol) sorry off the topic a bit but its my thread lol. I was looking at an inclosed 20 foot trailer! it would be well over 1400 kgs so I think it would get commercial plates. so I couldnt haul this behind my 1500 with electric trailer brakes? I dont get that!

jasonmt

Reaction score
oh so you cant tow a bobcat on a car trailer with a 1500! I THINK ICBC said that if the GVW on a trailer is more that 1400 kg it get commercial plates! but a car trailer has to have two 7000 pound axles to carry a bobcat (so DOT says lol) sorry off the topic a bit but its my thread lol. I was looking at an inclosed 20 foot trailer! it would be well over 1400 kgs so I think it would get commercial plates. so I couldnt haul this behind my 1500 with electric trailer brakes? I dont get that!

There are all kinds of examples etc. in the link in post 50.

Trevor Repka

Reaction score
Not only the axle weights, but the size of your brakes for that vehicle, ya, I know, my sticker on the truck is rubbed off too but the dot's know if it's a half ton of not, and can check your brakes....plus they got portable scales, they suck....:confused:

Landrew

Reaction score
I'm new to hauling but how is it set up for inspection? Is it a mandatory thing when passing particular scales , do F&W do it at staging areas or does RCMP observe and then decide to pull you over for verification?

I dont and may never have a deck but I might have a trailer and 3 bikes in the bed and 6 persons in the cab at the most (after I pick up a full size this spring). I'd like to be pre-emptive and get my ducks in a row.

Rider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know when I took my 2004 GMC 2500HD diesel over the scales in Sept. with a alum deck with 1 700 grizzly and 1 660 grizzly everything full of fuel truck box loaded with jerry cans, gear, tools, coolers etc.My 28.5 foot holiday trailer loaded for a weekend of quading with me and my buddy both of us 230 pounds the dog and back seat with some gear in it I was over loaded by 1000 lbs. Really suprised us, with the air bags it didn't look over loaded at all.

Just my 2 cents

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a couple weeks ago coming back from swan hills with my boat i stopped at the whitecourt scale and weighed in with my 09 f150, 3/4 fuel in truck boat full,4 adults in cab of truck, truck rear axle weighed 1700 and change cant remember exact trailer axle was just over 1100. i still had about 2000+/- of room left on my truck rear axle and around the same on the front. alum deck weighs 400lbs give or take right? sleds say 600 each or so, i still have 400lbs for gear and fuel. and still pulling a trailer with aprox 150 or so on the tongue. truck is legal for 17400 gcvw. should be easy to haul 2 sleds on a deck on a half ton legally. my truck is also a super crew so cab is way heavy as well. of course this is assuming that you don't need to haul yammys......... then you might be lucky to haul 1 without deck/gear and extras. :d

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you guys are confusing payload and towing. Your truck has a rated payload capacity and a rated towing capacity. It's kind of a #'s game - they list the big payloads and towing on the commercials, but it changes with each truck. The more stuff on the truck, the less payload. This is why 4X4's have less payload than 4X2 - they have the extra axle, transfer case, etc etc. Same with why reg cabs can haul more than crew/quad cabs. Usually most 1/2 tons are really close to the limit with the deck, two sleds, fuel, ramp, passengers and gear. I did the math on here a little while ago, I think I was up around 1700 lbs once it was all said and done. You might make it if you have the right truck configuration, just make sure you do the #'s right or you might get hit at the scales. If you are in an accident and are overweight you can expect that insurance will likely be void.

Ford doesn't list a 17400 lb GCWR? highest I see is 17100. Without the heavy duty payload package, you are not able to tow anything more than around 10,000 lbs.

Magnet - You said your truck is a super crew - Here are the payload specs (what you are able to haul in the truck - not tow) for the 2009 F150's supercab and supercrew. Unless you have the "max trailer tow pkg", the max payload on your truck is 1540 lbs, so you would likely be right at the limit unless you have the trailer pkg, then you have a couple lbs to spare. Definitely need to hit the scales fully loaded and make sure though. Note: Anywhere you see the (1) - that means in order to get that payload capacity you need the "heavy duty payload pkg" or the (2) means ''max trailer tow pkg" from Ford.

SuperCab 4x4 133" wheelbase 5.4L 3-valve 1020
145" wheelbase 4.6L 2-valve 1480
4.6L 3-valve 1550
5.4L 3-valve 1670

163" wheelbase 5.4L 3-valve 2350 (1)

SuperCrew 4x4 145" wheelbase 4.6L 3-valve 1420
5.4L 3-valve 1510
5.4L 3-valve 1910 (2)
157" wheelbase 4.6L 3-valve 1430
5.4L 3-valve 1540
5.4L 3-valve 1810 (2)

You can get a higher payload on the 09's - up to 3000 lbs- but you need to have a 4X2, long box, regular cab truck with the "heavy duty payload pkg" and the "Max trailer tow pkg" from Ford.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you are right modman i thought it was 17400 but its 17100. sorry but still have lots of weight avail i think to do it. its the 5.4 with tow package.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you are right modman i thought it was 17400 but its 17100. sorry but still have lots of weight avail i think to do it. its the 5.4 with tow package.

No worries man. There should be a sticker on the truck with the payload capacity listed. Maybe on the door? I forget where it is on the Ford's. then you will know for sure. If you got 1810 lbs payload you will probably be really close. Might be doable for ya.

Top Bottom