07 800 sportsman Dead

Doo-er

Reaction score
Well Kind of dead it will start but runs pourly :mad: It idles rough and will idle up if you "flick" the throtle but if you just push it it will kill. Also the check engine light is not on now but will it come on as i ride mentioned below?

Heading out now to pull the plugs and see what they look like and check hoses, gotta start somewhere but here is what happened

Riding all day wet and muddy condition and it ran well up to the point it didn't.
Riding along and all of a sudden can barely get to 40 mph and not over 5100 rpm.
Stopped shut down for a minute, restarted seem to run strong and a few minutes later check engine light came on.
Stopped again restarted and no light took off went about a mile light came on and the machine slowed to stop, back fired and that point I was towed in. Didn't want to "hurt" anything.

Bad gas....added some heet and no difference
Air filter....dry and light dust
Fuel filter?
Hoses?
Bad plugs....I did notice water down past the boot. Water working it way back up? Took air hose and blew water out and blew out the boot. Still running the same way?

The small wrench came on (500 miles) dealer check up. Did not bring it in and have not cleared the code. What do they do at the dealer and would that cause the rest of my problems?

Thanks in advance if you can push me in the right direction. I really hope this doesn't turn into a trip the dealer.

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i would definately add some dialectric grease to the spark plug boots to see if that helps. another thing to check is for a rubbed through wire on the map sensor. it could cause the check engine light to come on and make the bike run bad when started. the map sensor is the one on the intake tube from the air box to the throttle body. Also check your throttle freeplay. if the cable is to loose it will cause the contacts inside the etc box to touch and make the bike cut out. if you look in your owners manual it will show you how to adjust it properly.

Ryano

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 08 sportsman was running bad and it turned out to be a wire that runs to the gear body that controlls timeing and injectors and a whole bunch of other crap sorry not a mechanic it is on the right side it should be visable if you pull of the cover

Doo-er

Reaction score
Thanks for the info so far.....
Cleaned the vent lines with no luck and plugs looked to be good so off to the dealer. Found a good one that would throw it on the computer for free.

The only code it put out was a out of sync?
Did find a plud wire that didn't fit correctly so I replaced both wires and plugs.

Started up and idled fine so I took it for a ride and within a minute back to running like crap.

Gonna try to clean out the throtle body, recommended by the dealer. He says that dirt and crap get in there and mess up the Throtle Position Sensor.

Will keep you updated.

Ryano

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that is what my code was to it ran like a peice of crap and it was that wire that I mentioned before

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
might just be a polaris.:d

wire troubles are always fun.

Doo-er

Reaction score
Cleaned the throtle body stated it up and ran great for a few, then check engine light comes on again. Dealer told me over the phone how to retrieve a code myself...........45. It turns out it is a biometric pressure sensor.

Oh what fun........Still better than watching TV!

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thats the sensor on the intake tube. so either the sensor is bad or you have a wire rubbed though. i have seen alot of broken wires going to that sensor.

Top Bottom