Yanking around a 40' toy hauler, with gas engine

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a great thread. A lot more input then I had thought.

What I can't seem to wrap my head around, is how I can move 105,000 to 135,000 lbs down the same roads with 1850lbs of torque, that some guys make it sound like moving 22,000lbs with 500lbs of torque simply can't be done- or is somehow crazy.

Or that somehow haveing an automatic downshift is stressful.

One thing is for sure though- the guys in marketing are doing a bang up job. :beer:

Exactly. Gotta have a diesel or you'll never get above 10km/hr on hills or get better than 2mpg when towing. The only thing missing from this thread is the guy with the cummins powered ram that pulls 35000 lbs up the Rogers pass, never downshifts and gets 45mpg. Gimme a break!!

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Legally you would be overweight on most 1 ton srw trucks if not all. You would have to move to the big dually trucks. Like the 450-550 side. These dually's have bigger brakes and I think frames as well as tires (19") and suspension.

So, your saying that even a drw 1 ton can't pull this trailer??
I can't tell if your serious or a salesman

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you would be able to pull it but it won't be easy if you load it up. I went to the chev dealer to buy my trailer. They had taken it on a trade. I still had my 2014 dodge one ton srw at the time. I liked the trailer and told them before I looked I may need a diesel as well. Did a bunch of research on it. Take a look at all the websites for the truck at their tow ratings. Lots of guys add air bags to tow better and they work for some. Some guys don't like them.

It's too bad you couldn't test drive a new truck with your trailer hooked up. That way a guy would know if it would be a good tow rig for him.

The new gas jobs are awesome compared to a few years ago. If you had a 15k trailer when loaded a gas will work for you just fine. But once you get past that it would be tougher to tow. It is just fact.

Do you know anyone that has a similar truck you are interested in that is willing to hook up to your trailer and go for a drive?

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry friend, for the life of me I can't find the scale sheets I had all loaded up rolling. I must have lost it. It's a 2015 Raptor 365LEV. Book says the shipping weight is around 14,500 lbs. I'm guessing we could easily add 1500 lbs to that going down the road.

As for it being too heavy, I've got that impression to. I'm curious why. The brakes, frame, tires are all the same aren't they?? And why would they offer a gas motor in a dually??

If it just comes down to power, a guy could supercharge a gas engine 1 ton... :cool:
I wonder what that would cost?

And would it be as reliable as the diesel?

I think of my Ecoboost and think not.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you would be able to pull it but it won't be easy if you load it up. I went to the chev dealer to buy my trailer. They had taken it on a trade. I still had my 2014 dodge one ton srw at the time. I liked the trailer and told them before I looked I may need a diesel as well. Did a bunch of research on it. Take a look at all the websites for the truck at their tow ratings. Lots of guys add air bags to tow better and they work for some. Some guys don't like them.

It's too bad you couldn't test drive a new truck with your trailer hooked up. That way a guy would know if it would be a good tow rig for him.

The new gas jobs are awesome compared to a few years ago. If you had a 15k trailer when loaded a gas will work for you just fine. But once you get past that it would be tougher to tow. It is just fact.

Do you know anyone that has a similar truck you are interested in that is willing to hook up to your trailer and go for a drive?
Dealer I bought from let me pull my fifth wheel in the test drive.

Truck had a factory 5th wheel in it..........

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
register as private vehicle, no DOT requirements.
That's really good to know thanks, opens up a lot of options for me, a used semi is cheaper then a used pickup now a days, I'll be looking at kodiaks with 4x4

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shaved an hour off our annual BC trip once we went to a diesel truck.....less fuel stops, no loss of speed on climbs and easily controlled descents. I am way more comfortable in the truck = less stressed. I don't have to work the shifter anymore, mostly just set cruise and forget it. Had to perform 3 evasive maneuvers in the last 2 years and I am VERY thankful the truck managed the trailer, not the other way around. Full synthetic in old truck with more frequent changes due to it working harder. Semi synthetic in diesel (seems to like it better than full syn) so about a $20 difference in maintenance. I can live with that.

For towing a trailer 10,000 or more, I will never again use anything other than a diesel. That extra time saved is extra time camping, and the reduced level of stress means I arrive happy and refreshed. To me that's priceless. MY $0.02...

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder what that would cost?

And would it be as reliable as the diesel?

I think of my Ecoboost and think not.

I bet you could supercharge a truck for $8k, call it $10k for easy measure. Probly the same total cost as a diesel.

A little google says that a supercharged 6.4 hemi shows around 450lbs tq on a dyno. A stock 2011 6.7 PSD is around 600lbs tq, both at the wheels. I'm going to agree that unless the trailer was 10,000lbs or smaller- there'd be little gain with the brand new diesel. Anything over 10,000 though and probly notice the big difference.

450lb is no slouch though, that's more then a HO 24 valve. It should still be plenty to move everything down the road in a timely fashion.
Empty mileage might be an intersting comparison, But I'm betting loaded milage wouldn't be in the gasser's favour.

As for longevity and reliabilty though- I wouldn't put my money on the gas truck either. Mind you, I know of quite a few stock diesels that don't seem reliable either....

Is your ecoboost a POS or what?? I've often wished they apply that logic to there 6.2 :cool:

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bet you could supercharge a truck for $8k, call it $10k for easy measure. Probly the same total cost as a diesel.

A little google says that a supercharged 6.4 hemi shows around 450lbs tq on a dyno. A stock 2011 6.7 PSD is around 600lbs tq, both at the wheels. I'm going to agree that unless the trailer was 10,000lbs or smaller- there'd be little gain with the brand new diesel. Anything over 10,000 though and probly notice the big difference.

450lb is no slouch though, that's more then a HO 24 valve. It should still be plenty to move everything down the road in a timely fashion.
Empty mileage might be an intersting comparison, But I'm betting loaded milage wouldn't be in the gasser's favour.

As for longevity and reliabilty though- I wouldn't put my money on the gas truck either. Mind you, I know of quite a few stock diesels that don't seem reliable either....

Is your ecoboost a POS or what?? I've often wished they apply that logic to there 6.2 :cool:

I had a friend with a blower on a 6.0L 2500 GMC, had power...LOVED fuel. Blower has since been removed....

I hear Ford had a 5.0 Eco-boost prototype a few years back, would have probably killed their diesel sales so they shelfed it?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my buddy has a full size hummer with a supercharged 6 litre, six inch lift on 35" tires. she has some jam...it will almost loft the front wheels on the launch and it's waaaay thirsty. he pulls a 33' holiday trailer with it. can't make it from Grimshaw to Grande Prairie on a tank of fuel, but it will do 100 mph all the way there

pics186Medium.jpg

Last edited:

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would like to know what guys are getting with a gasser . 6.2 ford. 6.4 hemi. And 6.0 chev hauling a sled deck and 2 machines? A combined weight of say 1500 to 2000 lbs. Is a gasser enough to run around with a deck or is the mpg still not so great?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My hemi mileage went down a lot more then I would have thought with the deck and one or two sleds. Can't remember what it was but I started to ignore it. A big gasser won't get great mileage to start with.

Top Bottom