New truck for towing

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
15l/100km on the highway, 16l/100km if I'm doing 125km/h. I average 20L/100km back and forth to work. Yeah 37's and a 6" Lift.
Ok that doesn’t make me feel that bad then, my city is 22 ish usually lots of stop and go.

Thats pretty good for highway, I don’t recall my fuel mileage but at 130k I’m usually at 2k with my 34.5s

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok that doesn’t make me feel that bad then, my city is 22 ish usually lots of stop and go.

Thats pretty good for highway, I don’t recall my fuel mileage but at 130k I’m usually at 2k with my 34.5s

It's alright, it would be a lot better stock height. You must have the 3.73 rear end for that rpm. Mines got the 3.55 gears so the engine spins almost exactly 1700rpm at 120km/h.

With modern transmissions I'd rather have shorter gears and let the transmission do the work, get better fuel economy on the highway empty. I had a '19 F550 work truck for a while, stupid thing has 4.88 gears, it would grab 10th gear at 60km/h, and 120km/h was 2,500rpm. Totally defeated the purpose of the 10 speed, that truck would have been way better with a 4.10 or 4.30 rear end.

If I ordered a new truck I'd probably get the 3.31 with the 10 speed.

gdhillon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's alright, it would be a lot better stock height. You must have the 3.73 rear end for that rpm. Mines got the 3.55 gears so the engine spins almost exactly 1700rpm at 120km/h.

With modern transmissions I'd rather have shorter gears and let the transmission do the work, get better fuel economy on the highway empty. I had a '19 F550 work truck for a while, stupid thing has 4.88 gears, it would grab 10th gear at 60km/h, and 120km/h was 2,500rpm. Totally defeated the purpose of the 10 speed, that truck would have been way better with a 4.10 or 4.30 rear end.

If I ordered a new truck I'd probably get the 3.31 with the 10 speed.
Ya, my brother used to have a 11 with the same lift and tire size. He traded it in for a power boost and says he misses the diesel but likes stock height and ride of a half ton, also gets decent fuel mileage for a P/u.

Mine is stock height, I haven’t really driven her much. Went for a rip after I changed out my coolant but that was just around town.

It might be 2k at 130 with the winter pizza cutter 31s

I’ll have to run her on the hwy and report back, thinking of it now I do remember seeing around 2k ripping to hills last season when I used to do that sledding thing lol

What year is yours again?

Ya, the new 10 speeds seem to keep the fuel mileage fairly decent. But also so $$$

prob would have been a bit annoying but could you lockout gears until you got to hwy speeds like you can on the 6 speed?

FanaticalKilla

Reaction score
Ya, my brother used to have a 11 with the same lift and tire size. He traded it in for a power boost and says he misses the diesel but likes stock height and ride of a half ton, also gets decent fuel mileage for a P/u.

Mine is stock height, I haven’t really driven her much. Went for a rip after I changed out my coolant but that was just around town.

It might be 2k at 130 with the winter pizza cutter 31s

I’ll have to run her on the hwy and report back, thinking of it now I do remember seeing around 2k ripping to hills last season when I used to do that sledding thing lol

What year is yours again?

Ya, the new 10 speeds seem to keep the fuel mileage fairly decent. But also so $$$

prob would have been a bit annoying but could you lockout gears until you got to hwy speeds like you can on the 6 speed?
Yeah, you can lock out the gears in the top end. Top 3 gears are Overdrives. Easy to get the rpms/load you want.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3 newer replacement diesels in our fleet this year,,, 1 chev and 2 dodges...

Add fuel and bag them as normal...

I'm holding out till the truck prices increase before I buy another gass'er,,, frugal truck prices suck... lol

Top Bottom