***fifth wheel toy hauler for off road***

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyone has a favorite truck, sled and quad and trailers are not any different. I am on my second Dutchman and they seem to be built OK. I think their toy hauler is the Voltage. Mine is the Denali and it is a bunk model http://www.dutchmen.com/denali/floorplans/floorplans-detail/?modelId=4431 I decided it made more sense that if I going to bring toys camping, my wife could drive her SUV and tow them on a separate trailer. She hates the smell of mechanical stuff where she sleeps so a TH was a non-starter with her. We have lots of sleeping options so another couple can bring the toys and we can put them up at our place. IMO everything is a trade off and every solution introduces another problem. Part of my maneuvering into tight spots is I have a vintage (1996) GMC crewcab long box dually that measures 21 feet long by itself so jackknifing the trailer then straightening out is a process to say the least. Love the truck though. Should turn over 100K this spring so is in great shape. View attachment 184166

very well said, I am having a hard time deciding what route to go. One minute I want to go big, the next minute I want to go ultrasmall and buy a Polaris ace and go that route ha ha. I would probably have a lot of fun with the smaller unit because I would literally be able to camp anywhere. I know a trail that goes to the peak of the mountain,and it would be damn cool if I haul my little tiny 10 foot camper up there n park right at the peak ha ha Ha.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
very well said, I am having a hard time deciding what route to go. One minute I want to go big, the next minute I want to go ultrasmall and buy a Polaris ace and go that route ha ha. I would probably have a lot of fun with the smaller unit because I would literally be able to camp anywhere. I know a trail that goes to the peak of the mountain,and it would be damn cool if I haul my little tiny 10 foot camper up there n park right at the peak ha ha Ha.

A-yup. You need at least a couple different units to cover the bases. Big is great sometimes but smaller sure is handy. Some really cool smaller trailers out there including There are some pretty cool fiver horse trailer/living quarter combinations that are really tough. There is always the tent though:)

MADKAWI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with A 2014 and up sandstorm fifth wheel toy hauler by fotrest river?

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pull a 46 foot race trailer pulling it isn't the problem getting into them tight gas stations haha PRICELESS

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with A 2014 and up sandstorm fifth wheel toy hauler by fotrest river?
My folks have a sandstorm bumper pull and its been a really good trailer, i would imagine the fifth wheels aren't much different. only a couple minor issues over the last couple years, fuel gauge quit and the rims rusted but forest river fixed everything. They seem to be built well.

rotormech

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a rv tech I can tell you there really isn't a whole lot of difference between all the brands,some are not as well built as some but the biggest thing is to get the floor plan you like ,we deal with jayco and heartland ,stay away from heartland.jayco has a pretty good warranty but there are lots of other good brands out there.

subzero

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
go red neck

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 199
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 201
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

Daine

Reaction score
Parents have a 42" Fuzion. The quality is one of the best that we could find before you hit the 6 digit$ trailers... Weighs just shy of 20K lbs with out water but the the garage full. You don't realize how big it is till you try to wheel it into a gas station or around a campsite. If you have a spotter that likes to stay in view of a mirror its alright, just some wiggling required.

Cant comment on the SRW vs. DRW as its never been pulled with anything but a DRW... Just watch out some of the tongue weights are creeping up to big numbers.

800HMX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We looked at most of the brands up to the $60,000 range, both Pull Type and 5th wheels. There is three quality categories; Real sh!tty - most of the Forest River Products, mid line - Fusion products, top quality - Desert Fox. In the end, except for the Desert Fox, I just couldn't live with the quality of the Toyhaulers, in the price range. I ended up buying a Jet Craft Deck and kept our Pull Type Nash Trailer.

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd be hesitant to buy a 40 footer with tandem axles. My 40' tridem (3 slides, 12' garage) is almost 18000lbs loaded...even more if I let the wife have her way. They pull awesome though, I tugged mine around with a little Freightliner....no problems stuffing it in and out of the tight spots. Even behind my Ford 6.7 dually, I have to set the cruse or I'm doing 120 everytime I look down.
like this one??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 174

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Haha, that'd be the one. Did you end up buying it off buddy in Calgary?

Top Bottom