What 5th wheel garage toy hauler, can a GMC 2500HD Diesel Pull?

Crash

Reaction score
I have an 04.5 Chev Duramax and I pull a Raptor 300MP with no problems loaded with 110 gallons of water and a Polaris Ranger in the garage. It actually tows better with the Ranger in the back as the hitch weight drops. I could probably use some air bags to help out with the hitch weight. The only complaint I have with the truck is the fuel tank could be larger. I get an average of 350km per tank of diesel (usually 90L when I fill). I have an Edge programmer which works pretty good. I think it helps a bit with fuel mileage and shifting.

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just took the trailer on a 9hr drive couldnt tell it was even there. The new 2011 ford diesel is amazing. I wont lie though empty I was getting 21mpg US. And with the trailer I was down to 9 mpg US with a headwind.

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just took the trailer on a 9hr drive couldnt tell it was even there. The new 2011 ford diesel is amazing. I wont lie though empty I was getting 21mpg US. And with the trailer I was down to 9 mpg US with a headwind.

Pics please! Sounds like you have an excellent truck and trailer combination. Does your new truck have the new 6.7 Ford diesel? :beer:

Good luck with your new toys! :thumbsup2:

thump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2008, 2500 GMC Dmax pulling a 2007 Sportsman Sportster 39ft tri-axle, approx. 15,000lb loaded with Rhino in 10ft garage. Pulls it best at about 110-120. She works goin up bigger hills, but anywhere else is no problem. Air bags are a must have.

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 2008, 2500 GMC Dmax pulling a 2007 Sportsman Sportster 39ft tri-axle, approx. 15,000lb loaded with Rhino in 10ft garage. Pulls it best at about 110-120. She works goin up bigger hills, but anywhere else is no problem. Air bags are a must have.

What kind of hitch weight are you getting from the tri axle?
What is the final weight on the rear wheels???

Thanks

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will bet that there are people already working on ways to defeat the urea injection systems on the newer vehicles. I am not convinced that the engineers are on the right track with many of the latest so called advances in emission control systems.

They sure failed miserably with the 2008 6.7 that I own. The more I babied my truck the worse the fuel economy got. Exactly opposite of every machine I have ever opperated. The truck was only getting 10 mpg empty and even worse towing even light loads. Dodge told me that it was normal. I was freaking mad to say the least.

I deleted the offending parts (EGR, CAT, DPF and NOX filter) and now the truck is getting double of what it did. I have to ask the engineers how on earth they figure that burning up to twice as much fuel to have "cleaner" exhaust makes any sense? Even if the exhaust is "cleaner" it is still pushing out twice the co2. They are ignoring the carbon footprint entirely. The whole concept seems engineered to sell more fuel...and/or more additives like urea.

Rockwerx, remember that it is the gov. that mandates emission controls, not the manufacturers. I have a 07.5 Ram 3500 with the 6.7 and I've done all the deletes to it. Now, the mileage is "reasonable". I don't believe any of the manufacturers would waste time or engineering dollars building these fuel sucking emission systems if the government didn't mandate it. Unfortunately, it is what it is and we have to live with it. We are left to dream of the good old days when a twelve valve Cummins could get 25+ mpg average.

tfitz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a 45' KZ Inferno with the 12' garage in the back, the unloaded hitch weight is something like 2500lbs dry trailer weight is around 13,000lbs. I pull with a Ford F-450 and honestly I don't know if I would pull with anything less.(although I really like the new Dodge 3500 dually) I did pull it once with a 2011 F-350 Single rear wheel just cause my buddy wanted to pull a load with it, the truck was not as stable but holy did that thing pull. Anyway I love the toy hauler just wheeling the toys in the back taken them were ever you go and then when we get were we are going I roll the toys out put down the removable carpet and all of a sudden I have a play room for the rug rats.
Any way, did 2000km journy with it through the mountains this year, did not find it to bad to wheel around and pull up steep grades, weather I'm using the quads or not I always pack one, becuase the way the trailer is desined the water tanks are ahead of the axels which makes it hitch heavy if you do not have Toy in the back.

Attachments

• Inferno 1.jpg
    Inferno 1.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 159
  • Inferno 5.jpg
    Inferno 5.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 156

Rockwerx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rockwerx, remember that it is the gov. that mandates emission controls, not the manufacturers. I have a 07.5 Ram 3500 with the 6.7 and I've done all the deletes to it. Now, the mileage is "reasonable". I don't believe any of the manufacturers would waste time or engineering dollars building these fuel sucking emission systems if the government didn't mandate it. Unfortunately, it is what it is and we have to live with it. We are left to dream of the good old days when a twelve valve Cummins could get 25+ mpg average.

I understand, but you can see my frustration with the whole thought process...burning 30-50% extra fuel to make the exhaust cleaner does not make sense. I miss the old 12 valve fuel economy also...driving slowly while piloting from Edmonton to Deadhorse Alaska and back I got 36 mpg with one. They did not make the huge torque and hp that the new ones do today so not quite apples to apples...especially if you are planning on towing a newer toyhauler!

z400

Reaction score
i pull 40' GEARBOX 18000LB loaded with 04 duramax no problem powerwise but the truck is just not big enough when going down hills it will push you around a bit and side winds can get a little hairy a duelly would help out but if your on your toes you can do it. if i was to do it over i would concider a dually or smaller toybox but i got such a good deal on gearbox that a had to buy it and i allready had the truck.if you dont drive like a compleat idiot you would have no problems with one of those smaller units

Top Bottom