Yanking around a 40' toy hauler, with gas engine

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If there's no replacement for displacement then I win with my 8.1L/496cc lol......the best truck they made is a paid for one in your driveway, like said before $25,000 or more for a 12 year old dirtymax is insane to me.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My truck comes with the most powerful gasser ever put in a hd pickup and with my 410 gears I have raced all the new stock diesels from 0 to 160 km. sure a diesel tows better

Did you change out the gears for 4.10 cause Power Wagons use 4.56 gearing.

I had a 2014 6.4L with 4.10. Yep, pulled real good, enjoyed the truck. Dislike when you hit a head wind and you're in 4th gear revving at 3000 + rpm, watching the gas gauge drop. Took advantage of the no charge diesel, 0% financing and am happy when I tow.

To each their own.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was bringing my new empty enclosed trailer back in a nasty wind with my 6.4 hemi. Foot to the floor and struggling to do 100 km/h. I got under 200km to the first tank of fuel. Had to fill up again in Airdrie and again in Nisku lol. I like my duramax.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the 6.4 would be better with 4.56 gears. Two overdrives in the trans so it would be fine on the highway.

Chrisp1

Reaction score
The cost to replace a modern gas engine is not like swapping a chev 350 anymore I have had v-10 fords and 6.4's replaced. By the time the truck drives out of the shop the cost difference is marginal. Lots of good opinions on here but any well worked gas engine isn't gonna be too chit hot after 100k.
I had just over 140,000kms on my 11 f250 with a 6.2l used the pull a 31' bumper pull down to the U.S. couple trips. Nothing wrong with that truck at all (regret letting it go). I found having the ability to shift the trans instead of putting it in tow haul worked better . I could stay in cruise for most hills and downshift before the hill. I know 2 people personally that have newer diesels that have under 200,000 on truck that have had to get a new motor. Diesels are known for longevity but the emissions crap is killing that. Gas motors are leaps and bounds better than they once were.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have u ever pulled a 40 foot toyhauler? 18-20k good luck with that with a gas pot maybe a nice guy with a cummins will pull u up the hills haha.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have u ever pulled a 40 foot toyhauler? 18-20k good luck with that with a gas pot maybe a nice guy with a cummins will pull u up the hills haha.

With the programmer set on Street

I can see the coal rolling

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Damn glad I bought the Chevy then lol. We had a welder at the shop with an older gmc. I had to pull start his truck. New starter he just put in went bad( think he twisted off the stud). Looked at my boss and said see that why I bought a Chev instead of a gmc

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow. thanks for the info. my old bone stock 8.1 with the 6 spd Allison seems to pull my loaded 40' 'hauler just fine up the hills. it uses a bit more fuel, but I sure as fawk haven't needed anyone in a Dodge to pull me anywhere.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow. thanks for the info. my old bone stock 8.1 with the 6 spd Allison seems to pull my loaded 40' 'hauler just fine up the hills. it uses a bit more fuel, but I sure as fawk haven't needed anyone in a Dodge to pull me anywhere.

Used to have an 8.1 with the Alison. Loved everything about it except the small gas tank. Used to keep a 5 gallon Jerry van in the back all the time...pushed my luck between gas stops a couple of times. Whoops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Used to have an 8.1 with the Alison. Loved everything about it except the small gas tank. Used to keep a 5 gallon Jerry van in the back all the time...pushed my luck between gas stops a couple of times. Whoops.

mine has a decent size fuel tank, I've managed to squeeze 125 litres in it a few times...needed every drop lol. but the ol girl pulls like a freight train

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wanted a 8.1 years ago but couldn't find one
when I ordered mine back in May '05 there were only 9 of them on dealership lots in all of Canada. none in the configuration I wanted, SLT extended cab long box. current year production ends in June so I got an '06 delivered in September '05. on the line sheet stuck to the window where they claim fuel mileage it said "N/A"

they tried hard to get me to order a duramax.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Let me guess, you had a crew cab short box? I had the same thing in an '01 with a 98 liter tank. Only thing I didn't like about it. The beauty of it is if I drove it reasonable, I got the same mileage as my old man did with his 6.0L Chev and had way more power at my disposal.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not the gas unit but I love love love the big tank I have in the new truck and the diesel. The combo is probably the best I've ever had for range/economy combo. Still thinking about getting a slip tank for the summer time. Like many have mentioned to me it is nicer then trying to find a gas station big enough to pull the big trailer through.

Top Bottom