8500lbs toy hauler question

Steve Slade

Reaction score
Towing a carbon bumper pull toy hauler with my 2011 ram 1500. Wondering if I should use 4wd while towing. Will that make it easier on the transmission and drivetrain or should I just keep it in 2wd while towing with the tow/ haul on. I tow as dry as possible since my truck is only rated for 10000 max. Also would it be a little safer towing in 4wd anyway. I unfortunately can't upgrade to a bigger truck yet. Anyone else out there have any experience on towing this kind of weight with a 1500.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I tow with a 1/2 ton and I have never used 4x4 on the highway. Your truck will work a lot harder in 4x4.

gordhunt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup never use 4wd on dry pavement unless you like buying parts

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Steve Slade

Reaction score
Is this really a serious f'n question? If it is sell your truck and trailer right now!! No really.

Try pulling 11000 lbs with a half ton and see if you won't wanna try anything to make it a bit more stable. I've got air bags ,super springs and e rated tires and an excellent sway bar , weight distribution set up. This thing is still crazy to tow so I was just asking if 4wd would make it a little more stable.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am thinking crazy to tow is all over the road and sways.

Basically pushing the truck around.

A temporary solution that may help is a sway control bar. You tighten the resistance to stop the sway. They are around 100.00

Imo the best solution is a different tow vehicle one day.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430054414.694448.jpg

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe look at renting a one ton for when you need to haul your trailer until you can afford the right truck. I don't know why you would even buy a trailer that big unless you have the truck to haul it.

Last edited:

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try pulling 11000 lbs with a half ton and see if you won't wanna try anything to make it a bit more stable. I've got air bags ,super springs and e rated tires and an excellent sway bar , weight distribution set up. This thing is still crazy to tow so I was just asking if 4wd would make it a little more stable.[/QUOTE

Sad that you ask a question on here looking for some advice and get the responses that you did. Sorry to say that driving in four wheel drive will not ad stability in your situation. What you have is a case of the tail wagging the dog. Too much trailer for the to vehicle. I would recommend that you bu a 1 ton truck and your problems will go away. Now I know that someone will pipe up and say that you can get away with a 3/4 ton, but for the difference in price why stop there. With a 1 ton you open up your options as to how big a trailer you can safely tow. That's not to say that you can't overload a 1 ton. just yesterday I towed home a toyhauler for my brother with my 1 ton and I could see right away that I didn't have enough truck.

trailer was empty. can you imagine how much my truck would squat with the water tanks all watered up and all the necessities of life in the trailer. Some of these bigger trailer require a 4500 series truck to be legal to tow them.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Way way under trucked. Time to upgrade. Maxing out a truck is fine around the city but a whole different ball game on the highway.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Yah, 8500 lbs is fine for a half ton pulling weight..... My dodge 1500 with the air ride option is rated at 10,650 lbs towing capacity. I'd never pull anything close to that, but my 27ft travel trailer is about 8000 lbs and its no problem(especially with the air ride... Auto levelling)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Steve Slade

Reaction score
Yes I'm gonna have to bite the bullett and get another truck much sooner than I wanted. You're right I'm gonna go one ton so there's no more worries on being overweight. When I bought it I figured I would just tow it dry and it would be ok. Towing it dry was ok but it's just not very practical. Oh well I've wanted a diesel for quite some time. I guess it's time for a trade in. Didn't think it would be all that bad to tow since my last trailer was 6800 dry and I had no problems with that at all even with my quad up on the sled deck it towed great.

Top Bottom