5th wheel for a dodge and 5th wheel setup.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so I may be switching out and going with a 5th wheel toy hauler soon. Still not 100%, just trying to get all my ducks in a row now. I deal with the HD 5th wheels all the time but this is the first one in a pick up and towing one in a pickup. I have a 2014 dodge 3500 longbox with the 5th wheel prep package. I was looking at the BW companion as it has the best reviews but at $2000 vs $700 for the Curt I may just go with the Curt.

I guess what I am looking for is info on how to set up everything. Like height. How much between the box and trailer? Is there such a thing as too much clearance? I have seen some guys hitting and bending their box rails from the trailer. With the longbox I should be able to just set up the 5th wheel in the factory spot and leave it right? I don't ever have to move it like you do in a short box as it shouldn't be anywhere near the cab.

Any info you can give me will help. Looking for some help for the experienced guys and i know lots of you guys haul toy haulers. It is possible I am keeping my current setup, buying a newer motorhome or getting a bumper pull trailer. All depends on cash flow and what I find out there. A bumper pull that I have in mind would work perfect for us as it has everything but I have only seen pics and video of it. I know it won't tow as well as a 5th wheel but it has a king size bed, room for the sxs, I can load the quad in the truck, it is lightweight at 8800 pounds dry and is brand new. Thanks for your input.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't give you much info on set up. But one tip is try to find a fith wheel set up that the mounting rails run length ways down your box, rather then across the box. I have the ones that run across and hate them! It holds the dirt and you can't wash the box out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had both bumper pull toyhauler's and 5 th wheel toyhaulers.

5 th wheel easier to tow.
I have a short box and never move the 5 th wheel. Mine has the roller system that can easily move.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't give you much info on set up. But one tip is try to find a fith wheel set up that the mounting rails run length ways down your box, rather then across the box. I have the ones that run across and hate them! It holds the dirt and you can't wash the box out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The rails are already built in. Nice set up. 4 holes. Remove plastic caps and drop in 5th wheel. Lock in 4 pins and done. Has an extra 7pin plug already installed in the bed too. There is a 5th hole if you go to gooseneck.

HOTLAP

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey real wild, my name is Don and I work at Coachworks RV and we specialize in toy haulers.
We have both new and used trailer and fifth wheel types in stock, around 45 to choose from right now.
As toy haulers are what we specialize in we can answer any questions you may have, you can view our units at Edmonton RVs & Boats at Coach Works RV & Marine
I am an avid quad rider and have used a toy hauler for many years so can answer questions from an experienced point of view.
If I can be of any help please let me know.
Don Humphrey
COACHWORKS RV & MARINE
don@coachworksrv.com
780 955-2570 or toll free @ 1 866 955-2570

PS: I tried sending this as a PM but wasn't able, I hope this doesn't break any rules.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The fifth wheel hitch can be adjusted up and down as there are a number of bolt positions. In addition, there is also adjustment on the fifth wheel portion on the trailer. I sugggest 6 to 8 inches of clearance.

The Curt hitch should be fine.

The Dodge 3500 is quite tall though and in order to get the trailer hauling level, I had to install spacers between the axles and the spring.

Not a real fan of bumper pulls but with a good equalizer hitch, you would be OK. As with all things, it depends how much cash you want to spend for the amount of use you get out of it.

My nephew pulls a 30 foot bumper pull with two quads on his deck with a 3500 (diesel though) and seems to like it.

Ok so I may be switching out and going with a 5th wheel toy hauler soon. Still not 100%, just trying to get all my ducks in a row now. I deal with the HD 5th wheels all the time but this is the first one in a pick up and towing one in a pickup. I have a 2014 dodge 3500 longbox with the 5th wheel prep package. I was looking at the BW companion as it has the best reviews but at $2000 vs $700 for the Curt I may just go with the Curt.

I guess what I am looking for is info on how to set up everything. Like height. How much between the box and trailer? Is there such a thing as too much clearance? I have seen some guys hitting and bending their box rails from the trailer. With the longbox I should be able to just set up the 5th wheel in the factory spot and leave it right? I don't ever have to move it like you do in a short box as it shouldn't be anywhere near the cab.

Any info you can give me will help. Looking for some help for the experienced guys and i know lots of you guys haul toy haulers. It is possible I am keeping my current setup, buying a newer motorhome or getting a bumper pull trailer. All depends on cash flow and what I find out there. A bumper pull that I have in mind would work perfect for us as it has everything but I have only seen pics and video of it. I know it won't tow as well as a 5th wheel but it has a king size bed, room for the sxs, I can load the quad in the truck, it is lightweight at 8800 pounds dry and is brand new. Thanks for your input.

ABOMB177

Reaction score
I prefer 5th wheel. Pulls a lot nicer. I run a reese hitch and it can be adjust. King pins can also be adjusted. I didn't go toy hauler but instead have a 31' trailer and run a 8x12 aluminum trailer behind. pulls like a dream. If you get a little older trailer keep in mind the trucks are a lot higher now then they were. My trailer is a 08 and I really need to take it in to get spacers welded in.

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I prefer 5th wheel. Pulls a lot nicer. I run a reese hitch and it can be adjust. King pins can also be adjusted. I didn't go toy hauler but instead have a 31' trailer and run a 8x12 aluminum trailer behind. pulls like a dream. If you get a little older trailer keep in mind the trucks are a lot higher now then they were. My trailer is a 08 and I really need to take it in to get spacers welded in.
Just do it already you've been talking about it for years. Should've got it done when you got the hitch welded in ya cheap doofus!

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I updated the truck and put in the hitch, there was an 8 inch difference between the front of the trailer and the rear. Looked ridiculous and probably would have created tire issues on the trailer never mind changing hitch weight and balance. At the end of the day, I used one and 1/2 inch steel blocks and the result was the trailer is completely level. It might not be as difficult as you think.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure you take that style of 5th wheel hitch out periodically. They will rust in if left over too long. Then the fun begins.

ABOMB177

Reaction score
Just do it already you've been talking about it for years. Should've got it done when you got the hitch welded in ya cheap doofus!

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Ladies gentlemen I give you another intelligent remark from open supporter of he NDP.......(slow clap begins)

collin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have owned one bumper pull (24") and am now on my second 5th wheel which is 40', with a dry weight of 12,000lbs. I tow a 10' utility trailer with the quad behind the fiver. I am pulling with a Ram 3500, with duals, 6.7 Cummins. My major tow is from home here to Southern Arizona every October. Curt 24000 lb hitch which is adjustable for height. My trailer sits about 8-9" above the box rails. The trailer is level.

For my purposes right now, the fiver is the way to go. When I had the bumper pull, the quad was in the box of the truck. That was okay too.

Denali4me

Reaction score
If you go the fifth wheel route, try to budget in some sort of air ride on the hitch or king pin, worth every penny.

I run the Trailair and love it..

100_2149.jpg

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca

Lancepa

Reaction score
I have had four 4 different types of 5th wheel hitch's ( Curt, DSP, Reese) on now B&W Companion Hitch. Hands down the best hitch, smooth operating and quiet. Also no rails in the box. I know its pricey, but you won't regret. Just my opinion

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You should look into replacing the lower plate with the tri-glide version. It is AWESOME!!!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Friend runs one. It's amazing. I would like to get one

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
After having the Trailair Rota-flex first, and then installing this one, I'll NEVER have a 5th wheel (well, a heavy one anyway)and NOT have the Tri-Glide pinbox on it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Top Bottom