8500lbs toy hauler question

Steve Slade

Reaction score
Got the 11000 for when I had quad loaded and water tank(980lbs)and full tank of fuel and tried pulling. It was quite a difference when she was loaded. I should have specified that. Would like to thank everyone for their input and helping me out. 1 ton bound. Hehe

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is this really a serious f'n question? If it is sell your truck and trailer right now!! No really.

You know what this forum needs is another know it all posting derogatory remarks about some one asking a simple question. What a great question to asked probably saved the guy a T Case and Tires not to mention a whole lot of gas. I suppose he won't he won't ask any more questions on this forum. Sad thing is he is just the kind of guy that Ron needs to keep the forum viable some one new and in the market for new toys and accessories. Trying to humiliate some one for asking a simple question is unacceptable get a life!

Hey Steve my son just moved to GP last year he just finished installing 5.3 Chev V8 and 4L60E automatic transmisson adapted to Dana 300 T Case into a 1979 CJ 5 Jeep. Super nice kid knows lots about 4 X 4 s started wheelin with me in a car seat. He's got lots of other toys to. PM me I will give you his number. As for the odd jack As* on this forum don't pay any attention to them there is tons of super smart guys on here that want to help a guy out.
Is this really a serious f'n question? If it is sell your truck and trailer right now!! No really.

Last edited:

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Myself I wouldn't tow anything much higher than 3/4 of the manufacturers max towing because there is a big difference pulling and towing I can pull anything as big as the hitch will hold 1/2 hour down the road but that is not quality towing once you get anything is rolling you will pull it. Then every mole hill drag it down then on the down stroke you will have to open the door a drag a foot to help it to stop. Remember thats your family traveling with down the road

Steve Slade

Reaction score
Thanks Keith. The negative comments won't scare me though. I found this site around 3 years ago and I absolutely love it. This forum has taught me a hell of a lot about sledding and wheeling. I have went to so many new riding areas that I didn't know existed till this site. I wake up every morning on winter days and check S andM to see the conditions and updates on vale,revy and golden.The wife thinks there's something wrong with me cause if I'm not riding I'm on on S and M checking updates to plan my next trip. I owe a lot of powder days to Guys like Curtis pawlick giving continuous updates a vale. As for some of the negative comments everyone is entitled to there opinion and it makes S and M more entertaining. It make for some interesting threads sometimes when guys get pretty heated about issues. We're all on this site cause we live for the ride and the adventure and S and M provides a tool that even when I can't be out riding I can live it through maxwells day riding or the adventures of lilduke. I love introducing newbies to this site and showing them how usefull this site is for finding those deep days. So reply with comments however u wish but remember we're all on this for the same reason. We love riding. Snowmobiling is my life there for so is S and M. Thanks Keith I pm you for the num

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you say to the guys haulin two sleds on a deck on a half ton? Seen quite a few of those on the road lately.
Those guys are not on here saying my 1/2t with the sled deck and two sleds on it handles like **** while going down the road. Should I put it in 4wd to make it handle better??? What kind of response would they get? But it doesn't matter. The OP has already said he is going to look into a 1 ton truck which is the correct move. He will be a lot happier towing his trailer with less effort and stress.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was like you Steve I had a 1/2 ton and was a super nice truck to drive. I towed my toy hauler with it and it was right at the limit of the truck. It pulled it good but it wasn't pretty in the wind. I just sold it and bought a 1 ton dually now I look forward to pulling stuff. Can't believe I went this long with out a 1 ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was like you Steve I had a 1/2 ton and was a super nice truck to drive. I towed my toy hauler with it and it was right at the limit of the truck. It pulled it good but it wasn't pretty in the wind. I just sold it and bought a 1 ton dually now I look forward to pulling stuff. Can't believe I went this long with out a BEER.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fixed,,,,,,,,,,,,,

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pulled my 14500lb carbon behind my one ton and it wiped my old f350 around good, i could not imagine that trailer behind anything less. I upgraded to a newer f350 with 20 inch wheels and it made a huge diff. I dont think you will ever get that thing to tow good behind a half ton truck. sorry but thats my :twocents:

Top Bottom