Yanking around a 40' toy hauler, with gas engine

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My boss just a a 2017 Ford dually. It has a 184L tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seriously? That is fricken awesome. Ford is coming out with some good stuff. Id still have trouble buying one at this point but may have to look into them the next go around.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But running around he's averaging 33L-100km so it needs a big tank lol. Very nice truck ride a drive in. Tons of power! But I still don't like that aluminum crap!

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The aluminum deal is yet to be determined. Good or bad we won't know for the next 5-10 years. Less rust obviously but repair costs, cracking etc may be an issue. Guy at work has a new 2017 so I can hear about it if he has issues. So far he loves the truck. Came over from dodges.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But running around he's averaging 33L-100km so it needs a big tank lol. Very nice truck ride a drive in. Tons of power! But I still don't like that aluminum crap!

Better get used to the aluminum. The general goes aluminum in 2018-19.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The beauty of it is if I drove it reasonable, I got the same mileage as my old man did with his 6.0L Chev and had way more power at my disposal.
the exact reason I got the 8.1, my pa had the 6.0 and it was a hog on fuel. figured if I was gonna have a gas hog, might as well go hard. big surprise was when comparably loaded it got better fuel mileage than the 6 litre, and very close to each other when empty...I used one litre more than his on a 500 km trip to the city

oldrzr

Reaction score
Morning everyone and a happy easter weekend to all. Just took my 2017 F350 diesel on it's first good trip yesterday and truck just turned over 5000km. Drove from Wetaskiwin to Fort Vermilion Approx 700 km and got an average of 14k/100l. Was averaging 120kph so can't complain about that. Great truck to ride in even over the frost heaves around Slave Lake. The only trouble is it has a small tank approx 120 lts. Ford should have put something bigger in than that. Oh well I will know where all the fuel stops are when I start to really travel around the country.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Morning everyone and a happy easter weekend to all. Just took my 2017 F350 diesel on it's first good trip yesterday and truck just turned over 5000km. Drove from Wetaskiwin to Fort Vermilion Approx 700 km and got an average of 14k/100l. Was averaging 120kph so can't complain about that. Great truck to ride in even over the frost heaves around Slave Lake. The only trouble is it has a small tank approx 120 lts. Ford should have put something bigger in than that. Oh well I will know where all the fuel stops are when I start to really travel around the country.

Fuel usage seems reasonable particularly at that speed. One of the big advantages with a diesel is that slip tanks are plentiful and cheap whereas approved gas tanks for the back are not. I now have a fuel transfer pump and just need to pick up a tank. The delay in purchasing is that I don't have any long trips planned for the near future pulling my trailer which is the only time the extra capacity would be nice. That means something else to store while waiting to put it to use. :(

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Don't know about around your parts, but around here it was crazy windy yesterday so that definitely hurts the mileage.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah but if you have a strong tail wind it is soooooo swweeeeeeet! Surprising how big a difference wind makes. I still think my 3500 is at least 4 inches higher than it needs to be. With short legs like mine, I prefer the lower trucks. would also significantly reduce wind resistance.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah but if you have a strong tail wind it is soooooo swweeeeeeet! Surprising how big a difference wind makes. I still think my 3500 is at least 4 inches higher than it needs to be. With short legs like mine, I prefer the lower trucks. would also significantly reduce wind resistance.
I had a lifted dodge a few years back. I got those powered running boards and loved them. It was the perfect step up. Have to keep them lubed once a month as some people have had issues with them, but I never did. Last few trucks have had the steps/nerf bars which is needed for me.

Top Bottom