Temporary Closure of Groundhog mountain in Blue River January 2016

cheebbacheebba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Coulies have been a rideable area for quite some time. Was closed for several years then recently reopened due to the hard work of the local community. Thank you Blue River! Its accessible from town, access trail behind the Glacier hotel and it has alot of great tree riding and good for beginners.

minnow10

Reaction score
Why not make the boundary line and then have a buffer zone? Like really you think everyone is gonna just stop on the mark? Give ma a break especially if the snows skinny..

It is this is why they are closed. If you add a "buffer" these people will keep going over the line to the next better snow. People always have to push the limits nd not respect the closure. Only way to keep people out with this attitude is to put a chainlink fence around the riding area.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
It is this is why they are closed. If you add a "buffer" these people will keep going over the line to the next better snow. People always have to push the limits nd not respect the closure. Only way to keep people out with this attitude is to put a chainlink fence around the riding area.
Then the azzhats will just bring cutters with them. That's the really unfortunate part. There will ALWAYS be "those guys" put there that just don't give a fawk. They think they own it. Or are untouchable. I really don't think there is ANYTHING we can do to stop everyone. All we can do is follow the rules ourselves. And teach the rules where we can. After that, we really have no power.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well really the only way to stop it is for the clubs to take action. If its a tenure area with bigtime restrictions maybe raise the trail fee 5 bux and have a sled patrol rolling around keeping the people where they belong and can also keep the drinking and trash under control. You pay to access the area so then the club accepts responsibility and it falls on them to take action, ban rule breakers or fine. Its inevitable that that's the way its gonna be in the future anyways. Or have the fish cops and rc's do it.

If you cant police yourself someone will do it for you.

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well really the only way to stop it is for the clubs to take action. If its a tenure area with bigtime restrictions maybe raise the trail fee 5 bux and have a sled patrol rolling around keeping the people where they belong and can also keep the drinking and trash under control. You pay to access the area so then the club accepts responsibility and it falls on them to take action, ban rule breakers or fine. Its inevitable that that's the way its gonna be in the future anyways. Or have the fish cops and rc's do it.

If you cant police yourself someone will do it for you.
Revy has a closure patrol. I had an interesting chat with him at Frisby as we were looking at all the fresh tracks going right by the closure signs. He said it's very common that when he tries to inform groups he just gets told to fawk off.

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Revy has a closure patrol. I had an interesting chat with him at Frisby as we were looking at all the fresh tracks going right by the closure signs. He said it's very common that when he tries to inform groups he just gets told to fawk off.
That's us classy snowmobilers. Brutal!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk.

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have a patrol enforcing the rules they have to have some teeth to go with the bark.. They have to be give some power to enforce the rules of the club. on the lift tickets it clearly says club reserves the right to restrict or deny access.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have a patrol enforcing the rules they have to have some teeth to go with the bark.. They have to be give some power to enforce the rules of the club. on the lift tickets it clearly says club reserves the right to restrict or deny access.
He can issue a non compliance ticket for $350.

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He can issue a non compliance ticket for $350.

Are you sure? This is the first I have heard of a member of the public (or club) being able to issue and enforceable ticket.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really its a black eye in upbringing. For phuck sakes, if the sign said stay out THAT MEANS STAY OUT!. I don't think no matter of patrolling will change the way people think. They will just go. I was raised the other way and I just don't feel comfortable doing anything outside the rules. Bend them yes but not break them knowing they are being broke and say its my right as a free spirt. I'm tired of the younger generation, and I'm not putting all of them together, but the ones that feel that rules don't apply to them. GROW UP!

rant over.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you sure? This is the first I have heard of a member of the public (or club) being able to issue and enforceable ticket.
That is what he said. A member of my group is an Environmental Resource Officer and they had a chat about it as he does patrols in the area as well. Maybe it is not an enforceable ticket?

VARDA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a big part of it although it also comes down to the rider taking a bit more of an active approach. Clubs cannot sign EVERYWHERE and the most popular statement from my years being a patroler is "well we didnt see a sign" :( It is up to the riders to know where they are in relation to the riding area boundaries at all times.

The best and most fool proof method is to download the Caribou boundaries onto a GPS device. This can be done by downloading files that are available on the VARDA website (for Valemount’s main areas) or by visiting the link from the Government of BC. .

Most snowmobile clubs also have information located in each managed snowmobiling area as well as signage in the warming shelters if there is one located in the riding area. It can be quite difficult to decipher exact linage from a map or image, and it can be equally difficult to sign and entire mountain boundary, so we urge people to use GPS technology if they intend on getting the most out of the limited terrain by riding near area boundaries.

We understand it is difficult at times, but riders must start taking a more active approach.

Really its a black eye in upbringing. For phuck sakes, if the sign said stay out THAT MEANS STAY OUT!. I don't think no matter of patrolling will change the way people think. They will just go. I was raised the other way and I just don't feel comfortable doing anything outside the rules. Bend them yes but not break them knowing they are being broke and say its my right as a free spirt. I'm tired of the younger generation, and I'm not putting all of them together, but the ones that feel that rules don't apply to them. GROW UP!

rant over.

007sevens

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a big part of it although it also comes down to the rider taking a bit more of an active approach. Clubs cannot sign EVERYWHERE and the most popular statement from my years being a patroler is "well we didnt see a sign" :( It is up to the riders to know where they are in relation to the riding area boundaries at all times.

The best and most fool proof method is to download the Caribou boundaries onto a GPS device. This can be done by downloading files that are available on the VARDA website (for Valemount’s main areas) or by visiting the link from the Government of BC. .

Most snowmobile clubs also have information located in each managed snowmobiling area as well as signage in the warming shelters if there is one located in the riding area. It can be quite difficult to decipher exact linage from a map or image, and it can be equally difficult to sign and entire mountain boundary, so we urge people to use GPS technology if they intend on getting the most out of the limited terrain by riding near area boundaries.

We understand it is difficult at times, but riders must start taking a more active approach.

I understand Curtis, but the mature will and the immature will just ride. Unfortunately the only way IMO is more signage.

I still see people riding with out proper gear let along a GPS that they actually use.

TJ(turbojoe)

Reaction score
Actually they can keep sleds out of the mountains, in fact if the Government, either federal or provincial in this case, wanted to they could ban sledding or any motorized recreation on any crown land. It's people with attitudes like these guys, or yours for saying they cant stop me and I'll just ride further, that ruin it for the rest of us!
The government? Lol you really don't understand much. Shutting down these areas is making it worse with less areas to ride and people will go elsewhere looking for less headaches from people like you and your government and rules polices regulations laws that can't figure out anything yourself. It's easier to close down an Area instead of using your brains. I hit a ****ing caribou in my truck driving to blue river. Should we get the government to shut the hwy down.? Do you think the other caribou got lost after i hit the one. Holy chat I have seen thousands of caribou year after year as they migrate north. And if you think 2 people sledding is going to affect the caribou population cause the government and fish cops say so you should think again. Yes if there is a no snowmobile area you stay out. Christ there are pictures posted and if someone can get that good of a picture and not figure out who they are I find that hard to believe. Closing an area just opens up others.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

rider4life

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The government? Lol you really don't understand much. Shutting down these areas is making it worse with less areas to ride and people will go elsewhere looking for less headaches from people like you and your government and rules polices regulations laws that can't figure out anything yourself. It's easier to close down an Area instead of using your brains. I hit a ****ing caribou in my truck driving to blue river. Should we get the government to shut the hwy down.? Do you think the other caribou got lost after i hit the one. Holy chat I have seen thousands of caribou year after year as they migrate north. And if you think 2 people sledding is going to affect the caribou population cause the government and fish cops say so you should think again. Yes if there is a no snowmobile area you stay out. Christ there are pictures posted and if someone can get that good of a picture and not figure out who they are I find that hard to believe. Closing an area just opens up others.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

You might want to lay off the beer you retard, I didn't mention jack**** about the caribou, and frankly they're the worst excuse out there for closures, we all know the closures don't do crap when it comes to rehabbing or protecting heard's. If the government wants to close an area and ban motorized recreation in that area they will, let's not give them more reasons to, what these jackasses did, directly closed the area, even though it may be temporarily. Sure we can move, but with the blatant disregard for the area's we have its just going to get worse. People just need to learn to respect the area's and the outdoors and not give the government and environmentalist a reason to shut us down

Blueriversledz-Digger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone heard when Groundhog will be opened back up?

Groundhog Mountain will re-open Friday January 15, 2016 as the Mountain Caribou heard that has been residing in the Groundhog mountain riding area's have dispersed.

Please respect all area boundaries and don't pursue caribou or tracks if found in any snowmobile riding area.

Top Bottom