An open letter to the minister of environment

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey ladies and gentlemen, in light of the talk about proposed land closures in the south Saskatchewan region I have sent the following letter to the minister of environment this afternoon. Feel free to give it a read and let me know what you think (agreements, disagreements, further suggestions). Even if you don't live in the effected region this still concerns us all, as these changes could set a dangerous precedent. Please write letters of your own if you have the time; let them see that we as a group are responsible backcountry users and that land closures are not the answer.

Hello Ms McQueen,

I am writing this email to voice my concerns about the proposed South Saskatchewan Regional Plan, particularly it's pending impact on motorized recreation activities in the region. While I understand and for the most part agree with the objectives of this plan, I feel that Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) users are being unfairly targeted by its recommendations. If the plan is implemented as it is currently written it will drastically reduce the land area accessible by OHVs and thousands of responsible enthusiasts will be robbed of their recreational opportunities. These are good natured, law abiding people who simply like to get outside and enjoy the outdoors with their friends and families, and should not be punished by the actions of a few irresponsible bad apples.

I understand that changes need to be made to protect our environment, and I know that the vast majority of OHV users agree with me on that. We enjoy the nature and the outdoors as much as anybody. The only difference between an OHV user and a hiker or horseback rider is the tool they choose to access the environment. I believe that while the recommendations contained in this plan were drafted with the best intentions, they ignore the fact that closing vast sections of the wilderness to motorized vehicles will only result in overcrowding of the few remaining areas and thereby increasing the amount of environmental damage caused by OHVs. Before long the damage will result in more closures, and eventually OHV users will have nowhere to go at all.

Also at issue is the recommendation to ban random camping in the region. Once again I can understand the reasons for proposing this, having personally dealt with large groups of irresponsible partiers and the messes they leave behind several times in the past. However I don't believe simply shutting it down is the answer. Doing so would only force OHV users to share camping space with non-OHV users in designated camp grounds (very few of which are large enough to accommodate the needs of OHV families). Non-OHV users also have a right to enjoy the outdoors, and most of them would object to having their campgrounds full of dirt bikers and ATV riders going back and forth to the trails all day. The random camping system works because it separates those who like their peace and quiet from those who don't mind the sound of ATVs driving around all day. The environmental issues raised by random camping, like OHV use itself, are not inherent; they too are the result of a few bad apples and could be mitigated through regulation and increased enforcement.

I agree the current system needs improvement, but bans and closures are not the answer. There is a middle ground that could be achieved with a little cooperation from both sides. Every OHV user I have talked to is in full agreement on this. Here are a few of the ideas we came up with:

1. Increased enforcement of rules and regulations. Have certain conservation officers (COs) assigned strictly to OHV duty and have each trail system patrolled on a daily basis, with extra support on weekends and busy periods. Penalties should be meaningful (a 100 dollar ticker does little to deter an oil patch worker who makes $250k a year) and include seizure of vehicle in cases of extreme negligence.

2. Set up designated trail systems, with marked routes and maps. Trails through sensitive areas could be closed at certain times of the year or under certain weather conditions, at the discretion of the regional CO.

3. Designate certain trails for certain OHV types (dirt bike/mountain bike, ATV/UTV, truck/jeep), with width barriers set up to deter vehicles from entering trails they are too large for.

4. Designate maximum tire sizes and tread depths for ATVs/UTVs and trucks. Also, trucks without at least 1 locking differential should not be allowed on any trail.

5. Bridges set up over all navigable water courses. Width of bridges should be determined by trail type (only wide enough to allow vehicles permitted on that trail to cross). Fencing or barricades set up to deter bypassing of bridges.

6. Muskeg and wetland areas should be fenced off to prevent OHV entry. In areas where a bypass trail does not exist or cannot be made. A fenced route should be constructed through the wetland with bridges built over deep sections and flowing water. These areas could be closed seasonally or during times of wet weather, at a COs discretion.

7. Heavy fines or vehicle seizures for any OHV user found modifying or removing barricades, creating bypasses around obstacles, or cutting down trees (fallen trees blocking the existing trail can be cut out of the way, but only enough to clear the trail)

8. Vehicles leaking lubricants or coolant are not permitted on any trail. COs have the authority to inspect vehicles for leaks and issue fines for non-compliance.

9. Put in place permanent anchor points for winch attachment near obstacles to prevent damage to trees.

These are just a few ideas; through consultation with OHV and environmental groups I'm sure more could be brought up. Of course many of these will cost money, and it isn't fair to saddle the taxpayer (many of which do not use these areas) with the full cost of implementing them. All of the OHV users I have talked to agree that they do not mind paying to use these areas, so long as they know their money is going towards something useful. Here are a couple of ideas I have heard:

1. Set up an annual trail permit system. OHV users can purchase a trail pass from a CO or Alberta registry in the form of a sticker that is placed on the vehicle in an easy to see location. This is done on a per-vehicle basis, and a discounted rate should be available for children's vehicles. Membership in a government-recognized OHV club should be a requirement to purchasing a trail pass to encourage stewardship.

2. Every OHV in Alberta is already required to have valid insurance and registration when used on public land. A portion of all OHV registration income should be used to maintain and monitor our trails. Also, registration for all OHVs under 150cc (kids vehicles) should be discounted to encourage OHV use as a family activity.

3. A percentage of dealer income from OHV sales should also go into this fund. Dealerships depend on access to these areas as much as users do and should contribute to their maintenance.

4. A percentage of dealer income from the sale of toy haulers and other trailers made specifically for OHV transport should also be collected and put into this fund.

5. Permits should be required for random camping, again purchased from a CO. Campers who wish to purchase a permit should first sign onto a pre-written code of conduct, and COs would have the authority to revoke the permit and discharge any campers found in violation of the code.

I hope you will take the time to consider these ideas. I would like to reiterate that OHV enthusiasts do care about the environment as much as anyone other group of backcountry users. We would like to continue to enjoy the vast and beautiful areas this province has to offer as we have for decades before, and to share that enjoyment with our friends and family. We hope that our children will also have the opportunity to get out from in front of their televisions and enjoy the outdoors as we have with our parents, to teach them good stewardship and to respect the land so they in turn can pass those lessons along to their children one day. I know that if we all work together we can come up with a sustainable solution to protect both the environment and our right to ride, so every Albertan can enjoy our wilderness for decades to come. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Derek D. Sorkilmo
High River, AB

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well done. I've said for years that "they" should charge for permits for OHV use and random camping permits. This would pay for the enforcement and would get rid of the "kids parties" that cause the messes. Make a random camping permet substantial...not 20 bucks...make it so the average weekend partier won't buy it for a one-weekend fling.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Well done. I've said for years that "they" should charge for permits for OHV use and random camping permits. This would pay for the enforcement and would get rid of the "kids parties" that cause the messes. Make a random camping permet substantial...not 20 bucks...make it so the average weekend partier won't buy it for a one-weekend fling.

you are absolutely correct Dave.... but then they need the man power to enforce it, and that's where the issue is going to come in.

I wouldn't say overly expensive for the camping permits, but as you said something the "kids" wouldn't be willing to pay...

Same goes for OHV permits.... I think its time to do something like what they do with snowmobiles... a province wide "trail pass" and put that money into a kitty for future development of trails etc.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
well done. I've said for years that "they" should charge for permits for ohv use and random camping permits. This would pay for the enforcement and would get rid of the "kids parties" that cause the messes. Make a random camping permet substantial...not 20 bucks...make it so the average weekend partier won't buy it for a one-weekend fling.

i concur.......... :)

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I would be really interested to hear if you get a response from this letter Derek. It is very well written and I am in agreeance with everything you have written there!

Just a suggestion but maybe forward a copy of this to the Alberta Off Highway Vehicle Association as well, just so they are aware.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well thought out Muffin Man. We all need to make our objections known (in a thoughtful manner) to the minister, or at the very least convey your position to Diana McQueen by adding your name to this petition.

Prevent the LOSS of recreational land usage in Southern Alberta

Way ahead of you bud, signed it first thing this morning. Thanks for bringing it up though hopefully we can get the word out to every OHV user in the province.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be really interested to hear if you get a response from this letter Derek. It is very well written and I am in agreeance with everything you have written there!

Just a suggestion but maybe forward a copy of this to the Alberta Off Highway Vehicle Association as well, just so they are aware.

Good idea, I will do that straight away.

TrashCanyon

Banned
Reaction score
So what if they pass it then we can all ride wherever the hell we want! Like in Eastcoast USA (Baltimore N.Y.C. etc...) If everyone is riding everywhere how can they stop us??? Last I checked noone gave a ch!t in B.C. about where people ride. Whats the deal Alberta??? Why all the politics?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
So what if they pass it then we can all ride wherever the hell we want! Like in Eastcoast USA (Baltimore N.Y.C. etc...) If everyone is riding everywhere how can they stop us??? Last I checked noone gave a ch!t in B.C. about where people ride. Whats the deal Alberta??? Why all the politics?

only a matter of time before you start seeing stuff like this in B.C. as well.... don't get too cocky

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Its happening in Alberta because the government needs a way to make it look like it's taking action on environmental issues without pissing off the oil patch. Like they said, the same thing will happen in BC before too long, so watch yourself. Comments like yours only give the environmentalists more fuel for their witch burnings.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Signed and posted on my facebook wall!
catmando!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever like I said let them pass it. I ride wherever I want anyways so im just hoping everyone catches on to how fun it is to see something and just ride it instead of worrying about weither of not your aloud to ride it at all. Your on a dirt bike you think someone is going to throw themselves in front of you to make you stop...? Let's all get on our dirt bike and take over the world!!! Everyone stop worrying about it and just ride.

Spoken like a true azzhat. Guys like you are the reason go these laws being passed. I hope you crash hard one day cause then that's one less azz hole the respectable riders have to deal with when trying to keep riding areas open so everyone can enjoy the sport
Js

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever like I said let them pass it. I ride wherever I want anyways so im just hoping everyone catches on to how fun it is to see something and just ride it instead of worrying about weither of not your aloud to ride it at all. Your on a dirt bike you think someone is going to throw themselves in front of you to make you stop...? Let's all get on our dirt bike and take over the world!!! Everyone stop worrying about it and just ride.

You are gray matter challenged.....

Snow Monkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You must make your family proud with language in pm 's that you send. Not exactly commendable way to communicate with fellow snow and mudders. If you can't say it in a forum, perhaps it shouldn't be said.

Top Bottom