IMMEDIATE AREA CLOSURE IN AFFECT for BLUE RIVER, BC

Blueriversledz-Digger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Blue River Powder Packers Society (BRPPS) snowmobile club is sadly announcing the Immediate Closure of the FINGER BOWLS under our new 2015/2016 Stewardship Management Agreement (SMA) that we hold with the Ministry of Forest, Lands, and Natural Resource Operations (FLNRO). The Finger Bowls are located in a highly Sensitive Caribou Habitat 10 kms' North West of Blue River. The Finger Bowls area was designated as a Members Area Only to keep the number of riders in the area to a minimum. Due to the high number of non-compliant riders (BRPPS NON-MEMBERS and BOOTH JUMPERS) going into the area without receiving proper instruction and knowledge of area boundaries, the area was deemed unmanageable, resulting in Permanent Closure.

Snowmobile Operators caught in the Finger Bowls are subject to Fines under the ORV act.

FLNRO is implementing the closure of Groundhog Mountain now (Groundhog East & West). Groundhog Mountain is currently under review, with temporary closures when caribou are located in these areas.

As riders we need to respect Area Closures & Boundaries so our areas can remain open.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow more closed areas due to ignorance, what a shame. Hopefully the management of Groundhog goes well and this situation doesn't repeat itself.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
If your going into Groundhog be aware where the boundaries are. Under no circumstances enter these areas if so this area will be immediately closed, this club and Blue River cannot afford for this to happen. I spoke to Daniel about this last week. Even if a track is found outside the boundaries this will be it for the area.

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Won't be long till blue is all gone.. Brutal..
4 years ago saw 8 caribou in clemina @ morning glory climbing the ridge. They are out there..

Last edited:

sick1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol it don't matter, sledding is an endangered sport in bc. My young kids will probably never get to see the sights I have.. Sad

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Won't be long till blue is all gone.. Brutal..
4 years ago saw 8 caribou in clemina @ morning glory climbing the ridge. They are out there..

Ok, approximately 7 years ago I was riding at Millage in Valemount. Seen a few just at the boundaries, they looked at me, I drove by slowly, they just kept looking and kept doing what they were doing. They never took off or I don't believe I startled them either, I just left that area and gave them there space. I do think if I was a noisy chopper flying over they would of scattered quickly.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure everyone understands why snowmobiles are a concern for caribou. The tracks are a path for predators to make their way up to the delicious Caribou. 'startling' animals is not a concern for even the nerdiest of animals activists.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Blueriversledz-Digger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
SAD..... Blueriversledz-Digger, HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A MOUNTAIN CARIBOU IN ALL YOUR YEARS OF EXPERIENCED RIDING? I SAW TRACKS UP BY TROUT CREEK, SOUTH OF REVY,GOING UP OVER A MOUNTAIN RANGE YEARS AGO, BUT NEVER SEEN A CARIBOU UP IN THE MOUNTAINS(AND I'M OLD :))

Yes, I have seen these mythical mountain caribou over the years throughout many of our riding areas surrounding Blue River. Including Fingers, White River, Groundhog East & West, and Salmon.

These closures and boundaries are spread throughout most snowmobile riding areas in BC.
All sledders need to be compliant to the rules and regulation where ever they ride.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It takes $$$ to get these areas closed down.
It takes even more $$$$ to keep them open.
But hey skiers pay big money to fly in and run these slopes.
Sledders bitch and complain on a forum and do nothing to support local clubs.
I am not joining this club or that club.
What ????? We have to pay a trail pass ??!
To the few that do support and the others that get no thanks for all the hard work ?
THANK YOU !!!!!

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure everyone understands why snowmobiles are a concern for caribou. The tracks are a path for predators to make their way up to the delicious Caribou. 'startling' animals is not a concern for even the nerdiest of animals activists.

You watch way too much TV. Any credible "non-political" biologist will tell you predators have no reason to leave the smorgasbord of ungulates they have in the valley bottom to go searching for a Caribou in the high country. Do sled tracks make it possible? Sure. Does it happen? No. Mountain Caribou don't die in the winter. They get eaten in the summer.

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hope this attachment works
This is a page out of a 1969 Scorpion Mark III owners manual. It would seem to me that the grass routes folks that invented this sport had the foresight to know that these machines had the potential to piss people off. Somewhere along the way the business side took over common sense side.

I love the Blue River area and truly hope you fight the good fight

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 685

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood my point. Caribou are a stupid species of animal and when they are extinct in 50 years no one will gaf. Keep taking away the riding areas and they'll have nothing left to threaten to take away.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood my point. Caribou are a stupid species of animal and when they are extinct in 50 years no one will gaf. Keep taking away the riding areas and they'll have nothing left to threaten to take away.

Pretty sure your point was that predators were accessing Caribou using snowmobile tracks.....which is false. Ya, they're a stupid relic ecotype, and they're not gonna survive, but let's not add gas to the fire. It's hard enough fighting this battle using the actual facts without throwing in environmentalist rhetoric and supposition.

Top Bottom