IMMEDIATE AREA CLOSURE IN AFFECT for BLUE RIVER, BC

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure your point was that predators were accessing Caribou using snowmobile tracks.....which is false. Ya, they're a stupid relic ecotype, and they're not gonna survive, but let's not add gas to the fire. It's hard enough fighting this battle using the actual facts without throwing in environmentalist rhetoric and supposition.
Come on. No. If someone who didn't care about sledding, helicopter skiing, or any animal, asked what the deal was with sledders and Reindeer, the answer would be the stupid tracks that they make for the predators. That was my point. A couple people mentioned that when they saw the animals they weren't 'startled' as if this was significant. It wasn't.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Hope this attachment works
This is a page out of a 1969 Scorpion Mark III owners manual. It would seem to me that the grass routes folks that invented this sport had the foresight to know that these machines had the potential to piss people off. Somewhere along the way the business side took over common sense side.

I love the Blue River area and truly hope you fight the good fight

This should STILL come on all snowmobiles today.

2strokefumes

Reaction score
But yet wiggles there can fly helis over and use it for skiing.. This is a sad day.. One of my favorite areas to ride.
weasle, oops,weigle licks flnro"s ball and gives em money under the table that"s why they will never stop him

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's not necessarily all about compliance. Caribou basin (Devils garden) in Revelstoke was taken away. My favourite area. Far from town. Few people rode there. I never saw tracks out of bounds. And like I said its over a hour from town and barely used. Lost it to the heliski operations. They are skiing the **** outa that place. So if they will close an area like that we as sledders have to be worried about the areas where sledders go out of bounds.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Letters like this one that were sent by Valhalla Wilderness Society to the government don't help. And in this they are saying what Foxstar45 says the environmentalists are saying.
This letter went out to the BC government at the beginning of November. We need to be as involved in bc snowmobile clubs as we can and support them and follow there rules, be responsible.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well then. i just got this back from the goverment.

"Yes the area locally know as 3 fingers or 3 bowls will be closed to snowmobiling due to risks to mountain caribou. It is the area on the map where it says trail open year round. We have been working will the Blue River Powder Packers to manage the risks to mountain caribou in the area. As part of solution to providing additional riding opportunities we are working on opening an area known as the coulees nears Wells Gray Park."

never going to be able to take this picture again

Attachments

• fingers2.jpg
    fingers2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 542

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Letters like this one that were sent by Valhalla Wilderness Society to the government don't help. And in this they are saying what Foxstar45 says the environmentalists are saying.
This letter went out to the BC government at the beginning of November. We need to be as involved in bc snowmobile clubs as we can and support them and follow there rules, be responsible.

Valhalla has been a thorn in our side for years, yet they know absolutely nothing about Mountain Caribou. Organizations like Wildsight that actually deal with Caribou grudgingly support a limited wolf cull because they know full well Caribou won't survive without it. They'll also agree with the data that shows Caribou don't die in the winter. They don't have much choice. They paid for that research. Of course they'll never come out and publicly contradict Valhalla, because in the end......it's not really about Caribou. Never was.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Come on. No. If someone who didn't care about sledding, helicopter skiing, or any animal, asked what the deal was with sledders and Reindeer, the answer would be the stupid tracks that they make for the predators. That was my point. A couple people mentioned that when they saw the animals they weren't 'startled' as if this was significant. It wasn't.

Now you're talking about Reindeer? I have no frickin' idea what your point is any more. :confused:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a high resolution picture of a caribou, or caribou closure signs. My article on caribou is due to be released but I can't find the picture I took of the animal in high res. 1 mb ish.

if you do. trish@kpimedia.com

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well then. i just got this back from the goverment.

"Yes the area locally know as 3 fingers or 3 bowls will be closed to snowmobiling due to risks to mountain caribou. It is the area on the map where it says trail open year round. We have been working will the Blue River Powder Packers to manage the risks to mountain caribou in the area. As part of solution to providing additional riding opportunities we are working on opening an area known as the coulees nears Wells Gray Park."

never going to be able to take this picture again

would you be ok with sharing this photo with me for the article about caribou I just wrote? trish@kpimedia.com

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
In all my years of riding have only seen mountain caribou tracks(once), but funny thing is i have seen mountain caribou a couple times on the jasper x-country ski trail out east of jasper.... Ironic or what?

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Caribou and Reindeer are pretty much biologically the same animal, pretty sure his point is that if someone does not care about sledding/skiing/animal conservation they will not even know what a caribou is......but everyone knows Rudolph...

Now you're talking about Reindeer? I have no frickin' idea what your point is any more. :confused:

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In all my years of riding have only seen mountain caribou tracks(once), but funny thing is i have seen mountain caribou a couple times on the jasper x-country ski trail out east of jasper.... Ironic or what?
The problem with all the arguments that " I have never seen a mountain caribou while sledding" is that the greenies will state the reason for this is they were scared away by the noise before you ever got there. We have heard this reasoning over and over.

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem with all the arguments that " I have never seen a mountain caribou while sledding" is that the greenies will state the reason for this is they were scared away by the noise before you ever got there. We have heard this reasoning over and over.

Which is bull **** at its finest . If they hear and can't see they will stand and wait till they see what it is.
Anyone that has spent any time in the bush with these Do Do Caribou will know that.
They are stupid and curious.
If you hide over a hill and wave a cap or flagging so they can see it and then take down.
Repeat a couple times and they will come right up to you to see what the heck it is.
Done it a few times.
They can't be helped . Lol

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see them all the freakin time on the highway. Always on the highway... hanging out.. pretty close to the rest stop up top.. sometimes right at it when people are there...

baker8

Reaction score
Was just watching good old David Suzuki on Cbc and looks like may be closing some of the cross country ski trails in jasper with the same argument of wolves will follow the trails and kill the caribou

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
The only time I ever thought I seen caribou tracks it was in the Renshaw with Rod n Steve...turned out to be horses. True story.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Caribou and Reindeer are pretty much biologically the same animal, pretty sure his point is that if someone does not care about sledding/skiing/animal conservation they will not even know what a caribou is......but everyone knows Rudolph...

Nope. Mountain Caribou and Woodland Caribou are genetically identical. Caribou and Reindeer are genetically distinct.

Rudolph...............who knows? :heh:

Last edited:
Top Bottom