IMMEDIATE AREA CLOSURE IN AFFECT for BLUE RIVER, BC

Terrace

Reaction score
well then. i just got this back from the goverment.

"Yes the area locally know as 3 fingers or 3 bowls will be closed to snowmobiling due to risks to mountain caribou. It is the area on the map where it says trail open year round. We have been working will the Blue River Powder Packers to manage the risks to mountain caribou in the area. As part of solution to providing additional riding opportunities we are working on opening an area known as the coulees nears Wells Gray Park."

never going to be able to take this picture again

That would be sweet if they reopened that area. Longer ride in but a lot bigger of a area to ride.

catinthehat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Which is bull **** at its finest . If they hear and can't see they will stand and wait till they see what it is.
Anyone that has spent any time in the bush with these Do Do Caribou will know that.
They are stupid and curious.
If you hide over a hill and wave a cap or flagging so they can see it and then take down.
Repeat a couple times and they will come right up to you to see what the heck it is.
Done it a few times.
They can't be helped . Lol
That is exactly what their Caribou studies show, the flight risk from unmotorized contact is far greater than motorized contact. That still won't make a damn bit of difference in their attitude towards us.

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That would be sweet if they reopened that area. Longer ride in but a lot bigger of a area to ride.

Longer than salmon? Can you possibly show me on a map some how. I emailed the gov back for a map no reply...yet

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In all my years of riding have only seen mountain caribou tracks(once), but funny thing is i have seen mountain caribou a couple times on the jasper x-country ski trail out east of jasper.... Ironic or what?
Seen several caribou a few hundred ft away from the Allen creek cabin a couple times.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Letters like this one that were sent by Valhalla Wilderness Society to the government don't help. And in this they are saying what Foxstar45 says the environmentalists are saying.
This letter went out to the BC government at the beginning of November. We need to be as involved in bc snowmobile clubs as we can and support them and follow there rules, be responsible.

Here is the response from the Executive Director of the British Columbia Snowmobile Association.

BC Snowmobile Federation | Snowmobiling in BC continues to be under attack

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
In another thread I pointed out that west of Quesnel there is a large park area managed by BC Parks. There is no logging, no heli-skiing, no hunting, no mining, and no snowmobiles. The survival rate of caribou calves is still the same as elsewhere in the province. Why? It is the predators and in this case the predators (grizzlies, cougars, and wolves) don't have trails to use. Just good old hunting skills to fill their bellies.

Quick math:

1800 remaining "Mountain" Caribou.
Roughly, the gender is 50/50 male/female
900 females, 75% bearing calves which would be 675 calves born each year.
10% survive to the fall months.
Approximately, 607 calves die before winter.

What is MOE doing about the high calf mortality rate that happens in the spring and summer months.

"Mountain" Caribou are a species of convenience to close the back country to motorized recreation. There is an agenda and as Moyie says, "this isn't about caribou." The government holds the cards and until snowmobilers follow the rules as set out (whether they are right or wrong), we are going to keep losing riding area.

RMPERK

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we use to go in the back way in to Chapel via milage creek forestry road there was often caribou on the way in during the 80's and 90's. Even when we were allowed to snowmobile in Chappel down below the tree line but only allowed the new way in via chapel there was caribou. Now we are not allowed to snowmobile down below the tree line unclear what is around for caribou. Based on what happened at fingers you wonder if we screw up in Chapel where this is all going. The snowmobiling in Chapel down in the trees at the south east end is some of the best tree riding you will ever see. The last couple of years they have been flying it on the weekends to catch or ensure snowmobilers are not down there. Curtis at Varda has been stessing to all snowmobilers , dont go or we will lose it.

sledd boy

Reaction score
Wow!!!! most of you sound the same about this as you do about putting OFF ROAD lights in your truck and trying to kill all the others on the road and you say it's you right. How about you get o n the band wagon and join a club get active and try to keep area's open or get new one's. Just because your truck can do 190 km/ph is it the right thing to do.

Newmanater90

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A few years ago I seen a couple in Allen Creek. If they threaten to shut that area I think then you would see everyone get together to stop the closure. Lets start a fundraiser to relocate the caribou to a new location like B.C did with the wolves. One helicopter and a good ol Albertan cowboy should be able to lasso a dozen a day. If you can find any that is.

bdt92

Reaction score
I'm local to these areas and the caribou do exist, no I have not scene them but people have, it's the people with the poor attitude of their stupid animals and should hurry up and go extinct who are more then likely the people who are ruining it, the counts were done last year, all though I can't recall the numbers I was quite surprised with the caribou numbers here's a link of the last count done Caribou in BC range by ecotype

slednek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure we want to be describing all the areas we have seen protected animals unless we want to fuel the argument for the other side to grow their closure areas.

Good point. I responded to a question that was being asked. I would also hope that by people posting they have seen caribou that maybe some others would pay more attention to the signs that are posted in many areas across BC knowing that these mythical creatures are around. Whether we like it or not signs were posted for a reason.

Cameron

Reaction score
SAD..... Blueriversledz-Digger, HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A MOUNTAIN CARIBOU IN ALL YOUR YEARS OF EXPERIENCED RIDING? I SAW TRACKS UP BY TROUT CREEK, SOUTH OF REVY,GOING UP OVER A MOUNTAIN RANGE YEARS AGO, BUT NEVER SEEN A CARIBOU UP IN THE MOUNTAINS(AND I'M OLD :))

Weve been "experienced " riding for 10 years in valemount area we came across 5 caribou in chapel creek 2 years ago by the upper lake there was virtually no sleds up while we were there and we were on the lake well within bounds so they are there we just gave them as much room as we could turned our sleds off had a bite to eat and left them alone if everyone would take this approach I'm sure we could keep more areas open unfortunately as sad as it is to say a large portion of sled fees are self entitled douche bags and they will just move from one area to the next destroying until we all have no where to go

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think what you did, Cameron, is different from what any sledder would do. You gave them space and didn't bother them with your noise. OK.. As opposed to what? Yelling obscenities at them? Pushing them over and wiping snow in their face? Beating them to death? It's been said in this post already. This isn't a about Caribou, this is about sledders. If you have a sled.. You are a problem. They aren't shutting down these areas because they are finding dead murdered animals with sled tracks all around them.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom