snowmobile rant.

cnelson6

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 2014 Skidoo that was pretty troublesome. All the brands can have some issues but its what the dealers do to help you out when your sled is down. I had my sled in their shop quite a bit but when I dropped it off they made sure I had a demo to ride. I never missed a trip because of it. The sales guy that I got the sled went above and beyond to make sure he could do whatever to help me out. So I snowchecked another sled with him. And Ill be buying another new one next year.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend of mines cat got stolen a 2012. Then he bought a used 2013 from a dealer. First ride it blew up. Pulled it home, I open the oil jug and dip my finger in it and it didnt use any oil. I look online that it may have hydrolocked from too much oil in the jug.......gets it to the dealer they dont really have much to say other than they will look at it.......the oil pump arm came off. He talked to the owner and they were very sorry that it happened and gave him a Demo to ride, not a new sled. Other than this ive never heard of a dealer loaning a sled.

A demo sled to ride vs. taking parts off another sled is a little different. Problem is that won't help the next guy as there aren't dozen's of demos laying around.

so true....and a touchy subject i got reemed out for this once on here for saying just that. i dont want my brand new snowmobile being a donor for someone else. sorry. id be pretty pissed if i found out that the dealer just borrowed a bunch of stuff of my sled waiting for pickup. but thats ok we replaced it with new stuff. no...not ok.

To be honest, my Doo dealer who I deal with has bent over backwards to help me in the past. Loaning me a pipe from the shelf that was a take off, comes in on a Sunday to double check the sled, and numerous times. That dealer was a big reason I found it very hard to even considering buying a Polaris this year. But, the girlfriend will likely always be on a Doo and when it comes time again to buy another new Doo it will be from him, and if they improve the Summit to the point where I feel it works better for me I have no problems getting another one.

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had to join in and agree with others that it is all about your dealer and why I ride Polaris, I know they as well as all brands have had issues BUT after 20 years at same dealer, M&M in Kelowna (small plug) they bend over backwards for myself and my crew. Always a loaner, always getting in for service and repair since we out of town, giving demo's so we can try new product, it goes on but that is why we drive past two other dealers to go there. Sorry about your dealing with them but as in life you'll never get along with everyone or in this case every dealer. Good luck with whatever you ride, they all break but in the end it is how you are delt with and if not happy go somewhere else..

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear ya, I owned a 12 Pro and had nothing but problems... Got so fed up after the last time taking it from the shop I sold it since I no longer had confidence in that machine bringing me back to the truck! Every time I had an issue it would take the dealership (Cochrane) and take a few weeks to fix it, missed so much riding that year. My advice is to sell it once it's working and buying a doo. Not saying you won't have issues with a doo but at least you'll get rid of that lemon. Good luck!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had to join in and agree with others that it is all about your dealer and why I ride Polaris, I know they as well as all brands have had issues BUT after 20 years at same dealer, M&M in Kelowna (small plug) they bend over backwards for myself and my crew. Always a loaner, always getting in for service and repair since we out of town, giving demo's so we can try new product, it goes on but that is why we drive past two other dealers to go there. Sorry about your dealing with them but as in life you'll never get along with everyone or in this case every dealer. Good luck with whatever you ride, they all break but in the end it is how you are delt with and if not happy go somewhere else..

some of these polaris dealers must be damn good to sell guys extended trail sleds for the mountains when there is real deep snow machines for sale elsewhere.

08arcticcat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well quick update. part is in the dealers hands and will be installed and tested this afternoon.

did price out a 2015 doo summit sp, and was pretty happy on the price.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so true....and a touchy subject i got reemed out for this once on here for saying just that. i dont want my brand new snowmobile being a donor for someone else. sorry. id be pretty pissed if i found out that the dealer just borrowed a bunch of stuff of my sled waiting for pickup. but thats ok we replaced it with new stuff. no...not ok.

I agree with you. But for the most part if I payed 15k plus for a sled with warranty I would expect them to pull parts off there demo sled as most parts are pretty generic.

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I liked my pro, just didn't like my dealer and the hassle I had to go through to get it fixed. They didn't even want to replace the track that was in peices from towing it down the mountian with no driveshaft in it. Everything breaks and stuff happens, but make an honest effort to fix it. As I write this I think about a new wake surfing boat I bought this yr and when filling the ballast it split the hull in 2 (many reasons why- all factory installed wrong). Destroyed the boat, they said it will have new hull by spring, time will tell but if its not, I definetly will not be buying another boat from them, even if I like the product they sell. Just My 2 cents.
Holly boat story! Mind me asking what brand of boat? Thanks

RevyG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some of these polaris dealers must be damn good to sell guys extended trail sleds for the mountains when there is real deep snow machines for sale elsewhere.
Fak just can't help yourself can you? You're the greatest rider, Riding the greatest sled we all know it. Thanks for your "practically "Pro opinion. Your insightful comments are always great. Does your head fit through your dealers door?

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Fak just can't help yourself can you? You're the greatest rider, Riding the greatest sled we all know it. Thanks for your "practically "Pro opinion. Your insightful comments are always great. Does your head fit through your dealers door?

HA. double doors bud im good

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I'm not defending the guy, but I'm certain he writes that stuff now just to push buttons lol. Surely by now you know this site is called skidoo and mud haha.

Sent from my iPhone

lewey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Happens on all brands. Got a 13 summit x that's been getting 7000rpms since day one. Been in to dealer countless times, no luck. They even told me it's at 90% and that's good enough. Thing is a POS. The dealer did steal my jerry can for a customer once too. Fawkin joke

Big nasty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holly boat story! Mind me asking what brand of boat? Thanks

It's a centurion and I have nothing bad to say about them, the boat vice president called me personally after the incident to find out first hand what happened. The first question he asked, was everyone OK? Which surprised me.This is the first boat this has every happened to, so I've been told.

08articcat, I'm sure the sled will be fine the rest of the yr and then sell that lemon and get the T3 like maxwell said.

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So you mean to tell me that if I go buy a Doo from lets say, Martin Motorsports or Bow Cycle, and lets say a pipe sensor fails that they will take one off a sled sitting their in a crate or on the showroom floor if by chance it was back ordered? haha highly unlikely.

It has nothing to do with it being a Polaris, it has everything to do with the specific customer and the dealership. Some dealers will go that extra mile for some customers.

I don't own a dealership, but if a customer wanted me to take a part off a sled sitting in my showroom or in stock I would have a hard time telling the next guy that walked in wanting to buy a sled that I don't have one to sell him as I am using it for parts. No different than a car dealership. Parts on back order then repair waits.

Wetaskiwin Motorsports pulled an injector off a showroom sled for mine when I lost an injector on my '13 XM as they were a couple days for a new one.
I see nothing wrong with that. Keep the customer you have happy is better than losing a potential one IMO. Bird in the hand kind of scenario.....
You can always tell the guy buying the shop is busy and it will be a week to PDI or whatever and throw in a jug of oil or a belt or something. Then you have two happy customers.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wetaskiwin Motorsports pulled an injector off a showroom sled for mine when I lost an injector on my '13 XM as they were a couple days for a new one.
I see nothing wrong with that. Keep the customer you have happy is better than losing a potential one IMO. Bird in the hand kind of scenario.....
You can always tell the guy buying the shop is busy and it will be a week to PDI or whatever and throw in a jug of oil or a belt or something. Then you have two happy customers.

And as I said, "some dealers will go that extra mile for some customers"

It doesn't mean I expect them to as mentioned in the original post.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow a sled that doesn't like cold weather is like having a boat that leaks. LOL Either way I own a 2014 Pro but in all honesty I have no brand loyalty but only ask for a reliable sled. PIA when 6 guys are riding and a sled doesn't start and have to tow it back.

theres a recall about that. aparently the new doos dont like cold weather.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow a sled that doesn't like cold weather is like having a boat that leaks. LOL Either way I own a 2014 Pro but in all honesty I have no brand loyalty but only ask for a reliable sled. PIA when 6 guys are riding and a sled doesn't start and have to tow it back.

yeai hear ya.......just change the plugs on the hill. it will start. havent had the issue myself on any of the 5 2015s we have but have heard of it. you need to pull the pull start like a man not a little girl. seems with the high injector pressure it will foul them first pull if you dont give it a good enough tug to get it started.

Top Bottom