BC Hydro wants to raise EV charging fees

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$2200 seems pretty reasonable for sure, for that kind of increase in MPG, I just wonder at end of battery life do you have the option to run with the battery out or dead? Everyone has heard the horrific costs of the Prius batteries replacement cost. I'm sure this will improve over time and as battery technology evolves.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$2200 seems pretty reasonable for sure, for that kind of increase in MPG, I just wonder at end of battery life do you have the option to run with the battery out or dead? Everyone has heard the horrific costs of the Prius batteries replacement cost. I'm sure this will improve over time and as battery technology evolves.

The battery in the Rav4 Hybrid is small, only 1.6kwh, so should be cheapish to replace after warranty. No idea if you can run without it. Toyota stands behind these for a long time though, all Hybrid components are warrantied to 8 years 160,000km and the battery is 10 year 240,000km.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is the pivotal spot IMO a well maintained vehicle that doesn't have any major faults should be able to get to 350k in Alberta. Problem is when a 5k show stopper pops up such as a battery when vehicle is worth 7k. How do you get people to realize that the value has already been realized? Not trying to argue just trying to make sense of it.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's been a really messed up progression. Look at the reception the Toyota Prius received, which was arguably ahead of its time, but most people weren't going to be caught dead in one.

There were some hybrid cars over 10 years ago, the Chevy Volt being one, which was basically a short range EV with an 84hp Generator/Range Extender. It could go up to 80km on pure electric, and would average 5.6L/100km if never plugged in. But GM didn't really make money on them, and eventually ditched the model in 2019.

Outside of Tesla most EVs seem to be a flop, local VW dealer still has the first 2 ID.4's they brought in sitting on the lot, City Ford still has a couple '22 Mustang Mach E's they are trying to get rid of. Meanwhile it's an almost year long waitlist to get a Toyota Hybrid, not sure why more Manufacturers aren't following what Toyota is doing. My parents have had a Rav4 Hybrid for almost a year now, mom averages 6.3 L/100km going back and forth to work, her Tiguan it replaced got 10L/100km on the same route. That's a pretty sizable fuel savings for a $2,200 option.

I had a 2016 Chevy volt. It was a great car. Didn’t go through a foot of snow on the gravel roads very well but it managed. GM lost $10k on each one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You can't even make this up , lmfao friggin junk , my opinion

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kind of reminds us of the propane vehicles when they came out...

It was 1 cost across the board too suck pepole in,,, once they had a bunch of pepole hooked they added the road tax too propane vehicles and left home heating alone...

Some folks added a cheater line too the vehicle system then filled standard propane bottles so they didn't have too pay for the inflated costs...

A person wouldn't go very far on a 20 lb bottle...

Lol

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did I say anything about fast or slow

Nope.........

Did say something else tho

Sent from my SM-G991W using Tapatalk
Well if it's junk, it's expensive junk.

Screen Shot 2024-01-17 at 1.07.09 PM.png

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No one's getting triple pay....someone will always do the work for what it's worth. If you need an electrician to do the work, then they will simply require an electrical ticket and pay what that's worth. No ones getting $100/hr to work on a car.

I’m an electrician. Rate my work…

0102686c834eb962265552da0bfaddff.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So they kick out and don’t run at the same time as the furnace then?
They can Ken. My auxiliary has three electric heating element. It can kick in stages to supplement the heat pump as efficiency is dropping off but one it reaches the balance point which is -18 it locks out the heat pump. Heat pump will start again when outside temperature rises more than 6 degrees. Typically might happen one heating cycle in the middle of the night during coldest part of the winter here but the last week it's been full on electric toaster.
I can't see how those could ever work in Alberta. Installer told me you can not operate heat pump and auxiliary heat if gas fired as you would have in Alberta.

Last edited:

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh yes,,, theres a solution for every problems...

Closed looped system,,, not sure what's involved in that system,,, it should bring down energy costs and demands on the energy grid...

I got too go,,, warm up the big carbon burner too move a few hundred ton loads of crap from point A too B then back again... lol...

Kinda like a open loop system... Ha

Cheers all,,, whoops,,, im running late

Don

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just wonder at end of battery life do you have the option to run with the battery out or dead? Everyone has heard the horrific costs of the Prius batteries replacement cost. I'm sure this will improve over time and as battery technology evolves.

Found the answer to this question while researching new vehicles. The Hybrid System on the Toyota requires the Hybrid battery to be functional for the vehicle to operate. The 12 volt battery only runs the computer, lights, radio and stuff. These don't have a traditional 12 volt starter.

The starter motor is actually one of the 2 motor-generators in the transmission, so the engine is started with this motor using power from the EV battery. If the EV battery for some reason goes dead it's a flatbed ride to the dealer, because that's the only way to recharge it. But it supposedly doesn't happen unless the battery is toast, or the vehicle is left for many months without running.

Top Bottom