Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes.

45508698bc3b25c6fcabb00bc70d22f4.jpg

Thanks 👍

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We all seen the writing on the wall Ev's are and will be more expensive to operate in the end. They will also consume more resources than our gas powered veh ever did... Someone somewhere sure has some creative math skills to show that they are better for the environment than our gas veh are. Feel bad for the small shops that are going to have to spend huge money to be trained and have the equipment to work on these things.. I asked our tech's today what kind of a pay bump they are going to get for working on these as they are extremely dangerous to work on as well. Told them i would not do it for less than triple my current pay..

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m in Revelstoke , heat pump shut itself off yesterday and switched to auxiliary heat - the giant toaster in the basement $$$
So they kick out and don’t run at the same time as the furnace then?

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't ever see going to a full EV, but our next family vehicle will most likely be a hybrid. Hopefully some good actual progress comes through these growing pains. We are considering the Toyota grand Highlander Hybrid. Pretty impressive fuel economy numbers for a larger SUV. Wish it was a full plug in hybrid though for the wife's commute

Last edited:

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't ever see going to a full EV, but out next family vehicle will most likely be a hybrid. Hopefully some good actual progress comes through these growing pains. We are considering the Toyota grand Highlander Hybrid. Pretty impressive fuel economy numbers for a larger SUV. Wish it was a full plug in hybrid though for the wife's commute

A plug in hybrid works really well in the city.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We all seen the writing on the wall Ev's are and will be more expensive to operate in the end. They will also consume more resources than our gas powered veh ever did... Someone somewhere sure has some creative math skills to show that they are better for the environment than our gas veh are. Feel bad for the small shops that are going to have to spend huge money to be trained and have the equipment to work on these things.. I asked our tech's today what kind of a pay bump they are going to get for working on these as they are extremely dangerous to work on as well. Told them i would not do it for less than triple my current pay..
No one's getting triple pay....someone will always do the work for what it's worth. If you need an electrician to do the work, then they will simply require an electrical ticket and pay what that's worth. No ones getting $100/hr to work on a car.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No one's getting triple pay....someone will always do the work for what it's worth. If you need an electrician to do the work, then they will simply require an electrical ticket and pay what that's worth. No ones getting $100/hr to work on a car.

Thats what I pay my mechanic to work on my chit. Just have to have your own shop.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats what I pay my mechanic to work on my chit. Just have to have your own shop.
Well sure, you can make $100/hr cutting lawns if you own the business. He was talking about employees which is what I was referring to.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't ever see going to a full EV, but our next family vehicle will most likely be a hybrid. Hopefully some good actual progress comes through these growing pains. We are considering the Toyota grand Highlander Hybrid. Pretty impressive fuel economy numbers for a larger SUV. Wish it was a full plug in hybrid though for the wife's commute

We're in the same boat. Mitsubishi and Mazda both make plug in hybrid SUV's. But an EV certainly wouldn't work for us.

We're leaning toward the VW Atlas when the time comes. Not a hybrid but checks the rest of the boxes.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are going to be surprised.. this is not the same voltage your standard electrician has to deal with not to mention they do not have the training or tools to touch it. The voltages we are dealing with are closer to what a lineman would deal with... let me know how it works out for u when u call the local electrician out and he messes up and the batteries catch fire or explode... dealerships are not going to eat the expense of tooling,training, wage increase, and specialized bays to protect other staff members...

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are going to be surprised.. this is not the same voltage your standard electrician has to deal with not to mention they do not have the training or tools to touch it. The voltages we are dealing with are closer to what a lineman would deal with... let me know how it works out for u when u call the local electrician out and he messes up and the batteries catch fire or explode... dealerships are not going to eat the expense of tooling,training, wage increase, and specialized bays to protect other staff members...
Sure if all you've ever done is wire houses. Most electricians are way beyond that these days. B license is good up to 750 volts. My A license is unrestricted, and I've worked on systems up to 69kv. Been servicing UPS battery systems at EV type voltages for decades. The rest of an EV is just electronics and a motor, which we work on all the time.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not true…
My buddy is the service manager at a local GM dealership. GM just ships the specialized tools and they are expected to pay… they demand that certain number of techs are properly trained, and yes, they were required to install a specific post hoist to properly service the very few EV’s they might have in the area.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Will it turn on automatically?
They only work down to a certain temperature. Below that they won't work. The best cold climate pumps will work down to about -30, however standard units are only good for about -10°C

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you fellas are so inclined watch Edison motors on you tube he has it going on.. that to me is the future.

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you fellas are so inclined watch Edison motors on you tube he has it going on.. that to me is the future.
Definitely. Not sure why auto manufacturers skipped over the obvious evolution path other than government meddling. I have an eye on their pickup conversion.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Definitely. Not sure why auto manufacturers skipped over the obvious evolution path other than government meddling. I have an eye on their pickup conversion.

It's been a really messed up progression. Look at the reception the Toyota Prius received, which was arguably ahead of its time, but most people weren't going to be caught dead in one.

There were some hybrid cars over 10 years ago, the Chevy Volt being one, which was basically a short range EV with an 84hp Generator/Range Extender. It could go up to 80km on pure electric, and would average 5.6L/100km if never plugged in. But GM didn't really make money on them, and eventually ditched the model in 2019.

Outside of Tesla most EVs seem to be a flop, local VW dealer still has the first 2 ID.4's they brought in sitting on the lot, City Ford still has a couple '22 Mustang Mach E's they are trying to get rid of. Meanwhile it's an almost year long waitlist to get a Toyota Hybrid, not sure why more Manufacturers aren't following what Toyota is doing. My parents have had a Rav4 Hybrid for almost a year now, mom averages 6.3 L/100km going back and forth to work, her Tiguan it replaced got 10L/100km on the same route. That's a pretty sizable fuel savings for a $2,200 option.

Top Bottom