Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
April 12, 2024 by Adam Malik

EV buyers concerns grow beyond charging issues​

Image credit: Depositphotos.com
As car buyers transition from gas-powered vehicles to battery electric, their satisfaction hinges increasingly on traditional factors such as quality and cost of ownership.

The latest J.D. Power 2024 U.S. Electric Vehicle Experience (EVX) Ownership Study emphasized these elements as pivotal for BEV owners, while also highlighting the growing dissatisfaction with public charging infrastructure as the switch to BEVs gains momentum among car buyers.

The study measures satisfaction across multiple factors, including charging, driving enjoyment and cost of ownership.

Brent Gruber, executive director of the EV practice at J.D. Power, highlighted the expansion of the EV market, marked by seven new models eligible for ranking this year. However, he flagged the deteriorating public charging experience as a significant barrier deterring potential BEV buyers.

“Many products are hitting the mark and resonating with shoppers but, at the same time, the decline in satisfaction with public charging availability should serve as a warning because concern about access to public charging is a key reason many buyers currently reject BEVs,” he said in the study’s announcement. “For EVs to reach their full potential, this issue needs to be resolved.”

The 2024 study sheds light on several key findings:

• Public charging dissatisfaction is on the rise, especially among non-Tesla BEV owners, with a notable decline in satisfaction compared to last year.
  • Mass market BEVs are reported to deliver higher quality compared to their premium counterparts, with fewer problems reported by their owners.
  • New BEV owners show less satisfaction than experienced BEV owners, with notable differences in satisfaction levels concerning battery range and public charging facilities.
  • Despite initial enthusiasm, first-time BEV owners are more likely to consider alternatives such as plug-in hybrids (PHEVs) or internal combustion engine vehicles for their next purchase, compared to those who have previously owned a BEV.
  • The study suggests PHEVs may not be the ideal alternative to BEVs, as they generally offer less satisfaction due to ongoing maintenance costs and inadequate electric driving range.
In the competitive landscape, the BMW i4 and MINI Cooper Electric have set high standards, scoring 800 and 770 respectively on a 1,000-point scale. The study, now in its fourth year, has expanded to include more models, reflecting the growing diversity and interest in the electric vehicle market.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whos transitioning to ev's ? I know 1 person and he still has a deisel truck...

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know anyone with one either but there's definitely many on the roads in Cow Town.

By many you mean you see a few. Most people in calgary are still burning that carbon...

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny...I've been paying attention in the neighbourhood lately and what I see is those that have an electric vehicle have it parked beside their Expedition, Suburban, Escalade, Diesel truck. Is that what they call carbon offsetting...lmao.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Funny...I've been paying attention in the neighbourhood lately and what I see is those that have an electric vehicle have it parked beside their Expedition, Suburban, Escalade, Diesel truck. Is that what they call carbon offsetting...lmao.

Drive what you want to drive, and maybe im just blind, but i dont see any big switch to electric happening.right now.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Around my area completely
Agree middle sask mb see one tesla a week out here, i was in toronto here a few days ago and i was blown away by the number of ev vehicles on the road mainly tesla’s then a few honda ones, also seen a new brand trying to sneak into canada in the suv market called vinfast the vf9 suv was pretty slick
But came in north of 120 at a mall
There in toronto. In toronto huge ev market few miles outside toronto on the drive home we may have seen 2-3 teslas in the 30 hour drive back to sask i think fuel burners will be ok for a while yet lol

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are more popular in the cities for sure.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen a Ford Lightening around Bonnyville. Must charge it at home because I don't know of any public Ev charging stations in Town

Absledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've seen a Ford Lightening around Bonnyville. Must charge it at home because I don't know of any public Ev charging stations in Town
I think the City of cold lake installed one somewhere when they bought 2 EVs, but none in Bonnyville that I know of. Thats a major dealbreaker for me on an EV is the lack of infrastructure. Larger cities or even in the southern half of the province you might be ok, but north of Edmonton or Saskatoon there were none last time I looked. Admittedly that was a while ago so maybe there's a few more now.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the larger cities are the best use for EV's in my opinion, long distance driving not yet?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
either fairy farts or unicorn piss
was either 22 or early 23, ford dealerships were required to install EV charging stns, otherwise they couldn't sell the ev models, We worked on 2 sites in red deer! now ford has smashed the brakes on EV production? crazy world we are presently rotating on, for sure!

Top Bottom